Star Princess Favorites?

rcprncss

Hello.  I have never sailed on Princess cruises.  I am going to go on the Star Princess.  Can you tell me your favorite things about the ship?  And for our first time Princess cruise, any advice or anything I should not miss?  I hear the food and desserts are great.  I am also wondering if the Thermal Beds and special saunas are an extra fee?  I can't find that info on their website.

Thank you in advance.

5 minutes ago, Bdnclc said:

There is a skylight over one pool.  Allows you still to use hot tub if there is cooler and windy weather.  I enjoyed using deck 7 for walking on sea days

It's more of a retractable roof, and yes it's terrific. I also prefer the Vista Lounge on this ship to Club Fusion on the later ships.

• Like 1

Skywalkers on Deck 17 is a great place to sit and read on sea days.  You have a panoramic view of the ocean, it's quiet and not many people know about this hideaway.  Deck 7 is a great place to get exercise.  Bring plenty of things to keep you occupied during the 8 sea days.  There's events on board to see and do, but if nothing is of interest to you, then head up to Skywalkers.

• Like 2

I like that is has one deck less of cabins, so less crowded. I love being able to up to the bow on deck 8, and out on the deck on top of the bridge.  Also, Skywalker's lounge is a lovely and scenic place to relax during the day (sometimes closed off for private events though).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, roomba920 said:

It's more of a retractable roof, and yes it's terrific. I also prefer the Vista Lounge on this ship to Club Fusion on the later ships.

Oh yes I liked the Vista lounge too.  Was great for not rushing to theater and catching entertainment act a couple of days later.  I was able to go to other activities like trivia or go to dinner when the first show is on.  Only downfall don't sit in front of pole in lounge.  Can't see nothing but yet couches and chairs are placed in front of the poles.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rcprncss said:

...   I am also wondering if the Thermal Beds and special saunas are an extra fee?  I can't find that info on their website.

Unless you are in a suite they are an extra fee - usually about $200+- per couple for a week.  You need to go to Lotus Spa on boarding to sign up.  I like the Thermal Suite on Star since it's on the same level as the Lotus Spa pool.  Plus the Changing rooms have free steam rooms and sauna.

Edited by Ferd Berfle
  • Like 1

The Star Princess is one of the original Grand Class design ships. It has 2,600 passengers with ample public space. Pool areas open to all passengers include  2 pools on the lido deck, one indoors with conservatory above, the very popular terrace pool on deck 12 aft, the "lap" pool (not really laps) on deck 15 forward a very protected and quiet area, and the seldom used oasis pool on deck 16 aft. The ship has nice lounges with live entertainment, shows and other activities throughout the evening. Lounges include Crooner's, basically a piano entertainment lounge, Explorer's Lounge, Vista show lounge and Skywalker's. There is a wine bar, Vines, in the deck 5 piazza. No charge dining includes the MDR's where you can select both traditional or anytime dining open for breakfast and dinner each day and lunch on sea days, Horizon Ct. buffet open from around 5am until 11pm never closes during that time, pool side grill, pizza and soft ice cream open 11am until mid evening, International Cafe on deck 5 open 24/7, room service. Specialty restaurants include the Crown Grill and Sabatini's Trattoria. The Crab Shack is offered on some evenings. Dining experiences include balcony breakfast or dinner and the chef's table.

• Like 1

The three grand class ships have the retractable glass roof over one of the lido deck pools that are set aside for adults.  It has a pool and hot tubs as well as the usual bar.  It is a nice place to while away the day if it is inclement or cooler out that precludes hanging out around the outdoor pools.  

While the thermal spa is for $$$, the adjacent exercise area, restrooms with steam room and sauna, pool and hot tub are open to everyone without cost.  It is a great place to do a little exercise and sit in the hot tub, sauna or steam room.

Skywalkers high over the stern of the ship is a great place to enjoy the quiet during the day while looking out at the ocean including watching the wake.  Late at night it becomes a disco but normally is not too crowded.  When it is a disco the bar is open. 

The Star is being transferred to P&O Australia where it will be refitted and get a new name in fall 2021.  Its sister ship Golden will transfer in fall 2020.  

• Like 1

We were just aboard her two weeks ago.....see my review.  While we love the covered pool/ conservatory for cold sea days and all of the things spoken of above,  she is 18 years old and in need of major plumbing repairs.  Heard she is going in for dry dock next April to refit her for medallion so one can hope they will address the plumbing all over the ship.  We ate at Sabatini's and it was very good.  

• Like 2

On 10/8/2019 at 12:13 AM, Ferd Berfle said:

Unless you are in a suite they are an extra fee - usually about $200+- per couple for a week.  You need to go to Lotus Spa on boarding to sign up.  I like the Thermal Suite on Star since it's on the same level as the Lotus Spa pool.  Plus the Changing rooms have free steam rooms and sauna.

Thanks for the info.  I guess best thing to do is check it out the minute we get on the ship and take a tour and see if it is worth the extra price.  (We have sailed Aqua class on Celebrity and I love the Persian Gardens)

On 10/8/2019 at 7:26 AM, satxdiver said:

The three grand class ships have the retractable glass roof over one of the lido deck pools that are set aside for adults.  It has a pool and hot tubs as well as the usual bar.  It is a nice place to while away the day if it is inclement or cooler out that precludes hanging out around the outdoor pools.  

While the thermal spa is for $$$, the adjacent exercise area, restrooms with steam room and sauna, pool and hot tub are open to everyone without cost.  It is a great place to do a little exercise and sit in the hot tub, sauna or steam room.

Skywalkers high over the stern of the ship is a great place to enjoy the quiet during the day while looking out at the ocean including watching the wake.  Late at night it becomes a disco but normally is not too crowded.  When it is a disco the bar is open. 

The Star is being transferred to P&O Australia where it will be refitted and get a new name in fall 2021.  Its sister ship Golden will transfer in fall 2020.  

Looking forward to the adult only covered pool area.  Thank you for all the info and interesting about the Star going to P&O! 

• 1 month later...

About the "Sanctuary" on the Star Alaskan cruises---- is it worth it? Heard it costs between $60-75 pp per day? Mainly interested in using when we are cruising thru Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier, so that I can take as many photos in most directions without making a nuisance of myself to fellow passengers. I try to be as cool and innocuous as possible, and refuse to indulge in "selfies"! The rest of the advertised perks of this location are nice and would be enjoyed, but are not essential to my happiness or well-being, and my lovely wife is even more easily pleased.

10 minutes ago, Fairfield Nana said:

About the "Sanctuary" on the Star Alaskan cruises---- is it worth it? Heard it costs between $60-75 pp per day? Mainly interested in using when we are cruising thru Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier, so that I can take as many photos in most directions without making a nuisance of myself to fellow passengers. I try to be as cool and innocuous as possible, and refuse to indulge in "selfies"! The rest of the advertised perks of this location are nice and would be enjoyed, but are not essential to my happiness or well-being, and my lovely wife is even more easily pleased.

Standard cost is $20/pp/half day, $40pp/full day. Cost could be higher on special scenic days like you mention. The Star has many other locations for photos. One location that gets less use is the Oasis Pool area, deck 16 aft. Believe that photos taken from the sanctuary would be through glass. You may wish to check this out before you book. This area gets most of its use during warm weather cruises. 

The charge for the Sanctuary is indeed $60 on glacier bay day.  Is it worth it?  Perhaps.  You'll be provided a large pile of wool blankets to snuggle up in on this cold day.  Hot chocolate will keep coming all day.  A small breakfast is also set up to allow you to get there early and linger.  On our last Alaska cruise few (less than 10) people paid the fee for the day so views were excellent and level of service quite high.

We also love Star for her "shopping cart handle" version of Skywalkers which provides excellent protected views especially looking aft.  

Else, anything I'd add has already been covered.  She's nearing the end of her life with Princess but remains a lovely ship that I'll be sad to see fleet exit.

5 hours ago, Fairfield Nana said:

About the "Sanctuary" on the Star Alaskan cruises---- is it worth it? Heard it costs between $60-75 pp per day? Mainly interested in using when we are cruising thru Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier, so that I can take as many photos in most directions without making a nuisance of myself to fellow passengers.

No.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...