Vaccinations difficult to pin down

Organum

Sorry if this is an FAQ but I have tried to search on CC without success.

I am leaving on a cruise in January and Cunard say that it is my responsibility to check vaccination requirements and give a link to a government funded website. Being 56 days this cruise has lots of stop offs so I go through the list and the only findings are;

1. If you have been in a yellow fever area recently you must be vaccinated 

2. Tetanus boosters are recommended 

3. Flu jabs recommended 

Basically that’s it so I contacted my local surgery who said I needed a whole load of vaccinations at pounds various.

What do folks generally do? I am inclined to just not get any more jabs as I am up to date with Tetanus and Flue.

This must be an FAQ as a friend told me he had spent 12 hours talking and researching a trip and could not get definitive answers.

I think the vaccinations need really depends on the countries you may be visiting. South America and Africa may need Yellow Fever vaccinations not so much that you are visiting areas where it is rampant but more so that you can then visit the countries after being there. They do not want the viruses spreading.

Your health professional knows your medical history, and is far better-placed to advise you than the barrack-room doctors on this or other web-sites.

But I know where you're coming from - kerrr-ching

Simplest world-wide search (probably the one you've already found) is likely to be https://nathnac.net/  but it's not as good as it used to be.

The alternatives are the govt websites of the various countries.

If the list of countries isn't too long, we can probably all chip in with a few.  

A Yellow Fever certificate is mandatory in some countries if you visited a high-risk area in the previous 10 (?) days (the incubation period ). As per Mic's post most high-risk areas are in central Africa and South (& some central) America. But countries like Brazil have both high-risk areas like the Amazon & low-risk areas like Rio. Coastal areas are generally low-risk

The medical histories of some folk, and everyone aged 60 + gives them exemption from the requirement to have the vaccination (due to the very small risk of side-effects) but they still must get a certficate (Yellow Fever exemption cert.) from a health professional - proof of age isn't sufficient.

Some things like tetanus and Hep A & B its well worth getting a booster if required.

You will also need tabs for malaria. Some are available over-the-counter but I think there are two main strains so make sure you get the right ones for your destinations. Some you just take daily in the affected region, cheaper ones you also have to take for a few days before and after.

Equally important, keep the mosquitoes away in the first place - they can spread other diseases. Use a spray repellent with DEET, wear long-sleeve shirts / tops (lightweight with long sleeves are really difficult to find), trousers that tuck into your socks, closed shoes.

No need to tuck your evening frock into your shoes :classic_rolleyes: - mosquitees don't like salty coastal areas or air-conditioned ships.

But do be serious with precautions when you foray inland.

JB :classic_smile:

Thanks.

I have researched each country on the trip and the only one, apart from yellow fever restrictions, is tetanus. Malaria doesn’t come up at all.

The kerching department will have to be disappointed methinks 😎

6 hours ago, Organum said:

Thanks.

I have researched each country on the trip and the only one, apart from yellow fever restrictions, is tetanus. Malaria doesn’t come up at all.

The kerching department will have to be disappointed methinks 😎

Malaria certainly won't come up on inoculations - it's tablets.

Not mandatory, but on a 56-day cruise I'm surprised that malaria isn't a risk in one or two places ?

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

The itinerary may be b2b2b Europe trips with a transatlantic?

Cunard 56 nights in Jan suggests Southampton - Suez - Brisbane on QM2..

No worries at my end of the route but mosquitoes toward your end, Mic.

For instance Penang, Sri Lanka, K.L., Sulawesi, mebbe even Darwin. And not wanting to be alarmist but in some places a risk of Dengue Fever - carried by mosquitoes. Generally lower risk in January, but the OP def needs to check out mozzies.

Same applies if I got it wrong & it's South America on Queen Vic - including up the Amazon to Manaus..