When does your cruise start for you?

sealeggs

On 10/8/2019 at 1:47 PM, Cruise for vacation said:

Our vacation begins when we are heading to the airport

My vacation doesn't start until we get through security at the airport. I have to be a responsible adult until then.😉

The cruise really doesn't start until the bags are unpacked and we finish up with those awful Muster drills. Only then I am in cruise mode.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, davekathy said:

Not the same at all! All our vacations start as soon as we leave the house.

We are not talking about when does your vacation start - this thread is about when does your cruise start.

You really do not see any difference between having to go to an airport, check in, board, (maybe twice if a connecting flight) getting to a hotel, then getting to the port and simply boarding a ship?

5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

For us the cruise starts as we cross the gangway, planning phase complete and cruise begins.

Agreed - it is hard to think of getting into a taxi to get to an airport to get on a plane to fly to the port to check into a hotel to wake up the next day to get into a taxi to get to the port to go through check in to get on the ship - as beginning a cruise:  a vacation, perhaps, but all of that does not translate to being on a cruise.

28 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

We are not talking about when does your vacation start - this thread is about when does your cruise start.

You really do not see any difference between having to go to an airport, check in, board, (maybe twice if a connecting flight) getting to a hotel, then getting to the port and simply boarding a ship?

No kidding! 🙄Our cruises/'vacations starts when we leave our house and heading to the airport. If I have to explain it to you, you obviously wouldn't understand. This isn't thread about agreeing with each others opinions on when their vacation/cruise starts. If your's starts when you board the ship, great. Our cruises aren't over when we leave ship either. 

Edited by davekathy

I must have misunderstood I thought the question was when did I think my cruise had started, but it seems some want to be pedantic in which case the cruise doesn’t start till the ship pulls away from the dock.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SRF said:

People are answering TWO different things.

The OP question was when does the CRUISE start for you.

This can be different than when does the VACATION start for you.

No, "our" cruise starts for "us" when we are in the car heading to the airport. Everyday for is a vacation for us. 

You need to reread what the OP posted in their first post as to when their cruises start. Long before stepping foot on the ship. 

Edited by davekathy

55 minutes ago, SRF said:

People are answering TWO different things.

The OP question was when does the CRUISE start for you.

This can be different than when does the VACATION start for you.

But if your cruise is the total of your vacation then doesn't that mean the start of your vacation is the start of the cruise🤔

On 10/8/2019 at 12:46 PM, WeMissSeaView said:

I agree.  When the Captain ends the muster drill.  Currently on the Adventure waiting for the muster drill to start in 15 minutes.

X2.  After the muster drill then I'm on my cruise vacation time.  Doing what I want when I want.  Woohoo!  

I consider the first part of vacation to be "Land Cruise."  That is the car/plane travel, hotel, and meals leading up to the actual cruise.  So, my "Cruise begins when the garage doors goes down, and we drive to the airport.  

For the nit-picky people who don't include pre-cruise time as cruise but merely vacation,  it would be when we arrive at the pier and hand our luggage over to the porters.  😃

We also do the ceremonial unpacking of the luggage.  Actually, I'm told to stay out of the way so Mrs Ldubs can get it done right.  I think I can stack my pile of golf shirts perfectly well, but apparently I'm lacking in some skill sets.   Truth be told, probably several.  😀

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2019 at 9:57 AM, ilikeanswers said:

But if your cruise is the total of your vacation then doesn't that mean the start of your vacation is the start of the cruise🤔

Yes, that is one possibility.

But since I am in a long distance relationship, typically my vacation starts before and ends after the cruise.

For me it goes in levels:
Pre-fight hotel, some excitement.

Flight to port city and getting all of our luggage. A toss between more excitement and relief.

Pre-cruise hotel, a lot more excited.

Getting on the ship, bliss.

For us our cruise begins with the first glass of Prosecco on the flight to our port city.  We typically arrive two nights prior and  board as early as possible the day of departure.  I’ll have been researching and reserving flights, hotels and excursions for months.... so exciting to see everything come together!