Australia policy on medications

I am confused as well. I have read that if you take ANY pills into the country, you have to declare them. You should have them in the original container with the prescription. You should make a list of the pills, prescription and OTC to hand to customs on arrival. Is this correct? We leave in two weeks. Our cruise begins in Australia and goes to NZ. I have read that you need to do the same for NZ, but since we are staying on the ship, do we still need this list?

I flew into Queenstown a few years ago. I had common blood pressure and cholesterol tablets.

The immigration card asked if I had personal medication,I ticked the box.

What a hassle,I won’t go into the details. Luckily they were in the original boxes with my name on the box.

The supervisor let me go after telling me they are a controlled substance and I should have documentation..

Original package and documentation  (prescription or letter from your doctor)Declare them.

If you’re flying into Sydney or Auckland more than likely they won’t blink an eye .

Edited by Chiliburn

25 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I flew into Queenstown a few years ago. I had common blood pressure and cholesterol tablets.

The immigration card asked if I had personal medication,I ticked the box.

What a hassle,I won’t go into the details. Luckily they were in the original boxes with my name on the box.

The supervisor let me go after telling me they are a controlled substance and I should have documentation..

Original package and documentation  (prescription or letter from your doctor)Declare them.

If you’re flying into Sydney or Auckland more than likely they won’t blink an eye .

I fly into Auckland with blood pressure meds. Ticked the box. Got sent to the naughty corner for further scrutiny.

Had the boxes and scripts. Sent on my merry way.

22 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I fly into Auckland with blood pressure meds. Ticked the box. Got sent to the naughty corner for further scrutiny.

Had the boxes and scripts. Sent on my merry way.

I thought because Queenstown was a smaller airport they might have been a bit overzealous.

8 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I thought because Queenstown was a smaller airport they might have been a bit overzealous.

I think I had a novice inspector. Rolling of eyes at naughty corner, but they went through the procedures.

Oh Dear

I have a morphine patch that I have been using for some time and also Panadine Forte (Codine) and Anderson packs containing the 13 pills that doc says I need Plus one other non opiate pain killer and not forgetting the "Water Tablets" .... I dont mind if the confiscate the 'Water Tablets".... point is nice sniffer dogs have not yet fingered me  but I quite expect one day to be pulled aside ......

Regards John

Edited by VK3DQ

Declare,declare,declare. I always declare that I am carrying drugs (my medication). Everytime I have just been asked if they are for personal medicinal use and then l have been allowed to pass through. I also always carry a letter from my GP listing my medication but have never been asked to show it.

6 minutes ago, joybook said:

Declare,declare,declare. I always declare that I am carrying drugs (my medication). Everytime I have just been asked if they are for personal medicinal use and then l have been allowed to pass through. I also always carry a letter from my GP listing my medication but have never been asked to show it.

Yep always declare.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, erniediane65 said:

Could someone please tell me exactly what Australia’s policy is on prescription and non-prescription medications, including vitamins and over the counter pain meds, etc. I’m so confused!

These links may help you - 

https://www.tga.gov.au/entering-australia

https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in/categories/medicines-and-substances

Like all the replies above, declare all medications, have them in original packaging and documentation.

Enjoy your trip down under.

Leigh

Advice above is correct. Declare is always the the best advice but to give you some comfort, Australia’s prescription and non prescription schedule is not too dissimilar to the USA, so typically,
  • Travel quantity prescription drugs prescribed for you by a medical professional are OK. Carry evidence.
  • Anything that you can purchase over the counter at a pharmacy such as Walgreens is OK. Personal use only, must not be a commercial quantity.
  • Pharmacy purchased vitamins in travel quantities are OK.

So anything in the above categories should be declared but unlikely to be confiscated

• What is NOT OK are any unprocessed plant or animal products even if considered a medicine in your home country.

Hope this also helps, have a great trip.

Not a commercial quantity is the thing. There is a tablet that is 8 of my daily 18 tablet intake, so for a 14 day cruise that is 112 tablets, plus 4 days emergency is another 36, so a bottle with 150 tablets does tend to raise eyebrows at times even though they are a particular type of Magnesium supplement. I always carry a letter from my GP explaining that they are vital for my life support and that three continuous days without them is likely to be fatal.

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

These links may help you - 

https://www.tga.gov.au/entering-australia

https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in/categories/medicines-and-substances

Like all the replies above, declare all medications, have them in original packaging and documentation.

Enjoy your trip down under.

Leigh

I was going to post these links, I think they are the best for guidance on this issue.

• Like 1

As everybody has already said, familiarise yourselves with the links and then declare, declare, declare!  You don't want to end up with a starring role in Border Security or a body cavity search............but, then again, I don't know you so maybe you do????????????