Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
sealeggs

Are we the last of the Formal Dress people?

Recommended Posts

Well I had hoped those days were long gone. My boss is female, my partner is female, up until recently our prime minister was female, The leader in Scotland is female, leader of the liberal Demcrats and the irish party both females.

 

And yet its still a backward world we live in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pretty sure the captain on Celebrity edge is female now as well.

 

Surely the days of Ladies being led by gentlemen is over soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Actually, it is widely felt by institutions which do care about conduct that what people wear IS linked to what they wear.  Witness schools which attempt to turn out well- educated students, military organizations, courts, private clubs which hope to maintain levels of civility above that of the street, etc. which do have (and enforce) dress codes.

I absolutely believe this. Twelve years of catholic schools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ducklite said:

such as a sports jacket

I noticed on the Oceania site a photo of, say, six at dinner and one or two of the men had on sports coats so I asked if that's what is preferred. Someone pointed out that those were models 🙂  So, yes, like your mate, Bob will have Docker-style and maybe a step up from that, subtly striped or checked dress shirts and collared golf shirts.  Since we're going to be in Brazil in their summer he won't take a sports jacket but might next Sept. when we'll be in much cooler weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Actually, it is widely felt by institutions which do care about conduct that what people wear IS linked to what they wear.  Witness schools which attempt to turn out well- educated students, military organizations, courts, private clubs which hope to maintain levels of civility above that of the street, etc. which do have (and enforce) dress codes.

I absolutely believe this. Twelve years of catholic schools.

 

Hate to rain on your parades here

 

but most schools have dress codes that are enforced. Whether they be the posh privelaged ones or the inner city ones. How do you answer the fact that in the inner cities there are huge crime and violence issues? Dress code didnt work there.

 

Military organisations are full of people who want to be there. they are not forced to go and comply.

 

Courts???????

 

Private clubs. A preserve of the privelaged who probably first went to the posh schools above.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Well I had hoped those days were long gone. My boss is female, my partner is female, up until recently our prime minister was female, The leader in Scotland is female, leader of the liberal Demcrats and the irish party both females.

 

And yet its still a backward world we live in.

I had a female boss going back as far as 1972.In the area where a

 

21 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Well I had hoped those days were long gone. My boss is female, my partner is female, up until recently our prime minister was female, The leader in Scotland is female, leader of the liberal Demcrats and the irish party both females.

 

And yet its still a backward world we live in.

In the part of NY where I live the town Supervisor until recently was a woman.Many other offices are held by women.

I had a female Supervisor going back to 1964.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

pretty sure the captain on Celebrity edge is female now as well.

 

Surely the days of Ladies being led by gentlemen is over soon.

Society is sexist and racist and has been that way for as long as I can remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

I absolutely believe this. Twelve years of catholic schools.

 

Hate to rain on your parades here

 

but most schools have dress codes that are enforced. Whether they be the posh privelaged ones or the inner city ones. How do you answer the fact that in the inner cities there are huge crime and violence issues? Dress code didnt work there.

 

Military organisations are full of people who want to be there. they are not forced to go and comply.

 

Courts???????

 

Private clubs. A preserve of the privelaged who probably first went to the posh schools above.

 

 

My husband just got a jury duty summons.  The dress code is:

 

Dress Code
Please dress appropriately. Do not wear beach attire or shorts. You may wish to bring a jacket or sweater because courtrooms are air conditioned

 

I went to an inner city school that had a dress code.  I now belong to a country club.  Explain that if you will.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ducklite said:

 

My husband just got a jury duty summons.  The dress code is:

 

Dress Code
Please dress appropriately. Do not wear beach attire or shorts. You may wish to bring a jacket or sweater because courtrooms are air conditioned

 

I went to an inner city school that had a dress code.  I now belong to a country club.  Explain that if you will.

 

 

In NYC men can wear jeans when they are in the jury pool .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ducklite said:

 

My husband just got a jury duty summons.  The dress code is:

 

Dress Code
Please dress appropriately. Do not wear beach attire or shorts. You may wish to bring a jacket or sweater because courtrooms are air conditioned

 

I went to an inner city school that had a dress code.  I now belong to a country club.  Explain that if you will.

 

 

Exception to the rule?

 

I went to a school that had to be put in special measures and I have done ok too. I wouldnt go near a country club for any amount of money though. I still prefer working mens clubs. More steeped in reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

In NYC men can wear jeans when they are in the jury pool .


They can here as well, although if they were dirty, stained, or torn it might not sit well with the judge.  My husband works for a company that clean, neat, well fitting jeans are allowed at work.  They must be accompanied by shoes (not trainers/sneakers/sandals) and collared shirts which must be tucked in (although on Fridays they can wear a Guayabera untucked).  Women can wear sandals but not flip flops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Exception to the rule?

 

I went to a school that had to be put in special measures and I have done ok too. I wouldnt go near a country club for any amount of money though. I still prefer working mens clubs. More steeped in reality.

I have never been in a country club nor would I ever have a desire to belong to one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ducklite said:


They can here as well, although if they were dirty, stained, or torn it might not sit well with the judge.  My husband works for a company that clean, neat, well fitting jeans are allowed at work.  They must be accompanied by shoes (not trainers/sneakers/sandals) and collared shirts which must be tucked in (although on Fridays they can wear a Guayabera untucked).  Women can wear sandals but not flip flops.

I retired 20 years ago but when I worked I had to wear a suit at all times.The only exception was if I had to work on a Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Exception to the rule?

 

I went to a school that had to be put in special measures and I have done ok too. I wouldnt go near a country club for any amount of money though. I still prefer working mens clubs. More steeped in reality.


I wouldn't say so.  My classmates have gone on to positions as medical doctors, mayors and assembly people (like your MP's), lawyers, CPA's (chartered accountants), business owners, high ranks in the military, member of a multi-platinum rock band, senior mangers in large corporations, artist who has had international showings, the list goes on.  

If you've never been to a country club, how would you know what they are like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have never been in a country club nor would I ever have a desire to belong to one.

 


We don't partake in many of the social activities, but do enjoy the recreational amenities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, c-boy said:

... " More steeped in reality."    Image result for emoticons

wow !

Reverse snobbery at its best hey.

 

Funny the other week I went out three nights in a row, once to the local RSL, returned servicemen’s club, one to the Worlers Club, and once to the Gentleman’s Club, you know topics of discussion, behaviour and drinking habits were similar in all three, work, and sport. I would hazard a guess that more alcohol was consumed in the Gents Club per head than either of the others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I retired 20 years ago but when I worked I had to wear a suit at all times.The only exception was if I had to work on a Saturday.


At his last job he wore a suit daily for over 15 years.  I want to think Fridays they could wear slacks and collared shirt without a tie, but were supposed to keep a sports coat handy in case they were called into a meeting. They gradually had to relax the dress code to year round smart casual in order to compete for new hires, but were never allowed to wear jeans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ducklite said:


We don't partake in many of the social activities, but do enjoy the recreational amenities.

There are no country clubs where I live.The closest one is probably about 30 miles away.We have more recreational amenities than I could possibly avail myself of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

There are no country clubs where I live.The closest one is probably about 30 miles away.We have more recreational amenities than I could possibly avail myself of.


That's nice.  That is not the case everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ducklite said:


At his last job he wore a suit daily for over 15 years.  I want to think Fridays they could wear slacks and collared shirt without a tie, but were supposed to keep a sports coat handy in case they were called into a meeting. They gradually had to relax the dress code to year round smart casual in order to compete for new hires, but were never allowed to wear jeans.

I had to wear a suit for nearly 40 years of employment.I liked wearing one except for the days that were very hot before we had airconditioning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Reverse snobbery at its best hey.

 

Funny the other week I went out three nights in a row, once to the local RSL, returned servicemen’s club, one to the Worlers Club, and once to the Gentleman’s Club, you know topics of discussion, behaviour and drinking habits were similar in all three, work, and sport. I would hazard a guess that more alcohol was consumed in the Gents Club per head than either of the others.

I knew if I went to the officers club that I wouldn't be leaving under guard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ducklite said:


I wouldn't say so.  My classmates have gone on to positions as medical doctors, mayors and assembly people (like your MP's), lawyers, CPA's (chartered accountants), business owners, high ranks in the military, member of a multi-platinum rock band, senior mangers in large corporations, artist who has had international showings, the list goes on.  

If you've never been to a country club, how would you know what they are like?

What! all of them? That was some school you went to.

 

I would argue thats hardly a good example of your usual state school.

 

Its more like Eton in the UK.

 

OK I have been in a country club. I was an invited guest on a golf day. Loved the golf, hated the club.

 

Never been in one since, and I have this view of clubs in the states, based on the film Caddyshack. Always loved gophers because of it. Please tell they are like that.

 

"see the ball, Danny. Be the ball, Danny"

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

I absolutely believe this. Twelve years of catholic schools.

 

Hate to rain on your parades here

 

but most schools have dress codes that are enforced. Whether they be the posh privelaged ones or the inner city ones. How do you answer the fact that in the inner cities there are huge crime and violence issues? Dress code didnt work there.

 

Military organisations are full of people who want to be there. they are not forced to go and comply.

 

Courts???????

 

Private clubs. A preserve of the privelaged who probably first went to the posh schools above.

 

 

 

 

Yes, courts have dress codes - more punishingly applied to attorneys arguing than to defendants, witnesses, or audience.  And the most prevalent of the “posh schools” which strictly apply dress codes are local parish schools - so not that posh.  And why assume that someone successful enough to afford a club has to be “privileged”?  Sounds like fairly uninformed very sour grapes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...