Are we the last of the Formal Dress people?

sealeggs

1 hour ago, cruizergal70 said:

What reason is there on the ship? Because the cruise line randomly declared it formal night? You can randomly declare it formal night at home and dress up.

People who are dressed up tend to take more photos. See how that works for the ship photographers.

Because its fun and yes bc they have those kind of dinners where dressing up is ok.

Were going to have our pics done too. 

Were also celebrating a couple things together and the pics ill have for a long time as well as the memories. This will probably be the only time my bf will ever see me glammed up unfortunately. So were looking forward to it and were excited.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cb at sea said:

We enjoy dressing up, too...although with all the baggage fees on flights, we sometimes skimp on the "formalwear" a bit now.  We don't care how others dress, tho....and we try to look good EVERY night!

I see pride in ownership 👍

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hapster85 said:

I opted to not pack a suit for Freedom last week. Wore Dockers and a tropical-ish button down. Didn't feel at all out of place on the two formal nights.

You'd be banished to the buffet on P&O! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mike x ftc said:

We like to dress up and enjoy formal nights, we have recently returned from an 8 night cruise on the Brilliance.  We flew to Barcelona with Tux, waistcoats, shirts etc for the formal nights but we were very disappointed there was only one in 8 nights.  To be honest if we'd known there was only going to one we wouldn't have bothered lugging it all the way to Spain!!   It does seem like they are phasing them out - which is a shame.

I'm surprised that they didn't have that info available.

3 hours ago, ducklite said:

My husband owns a tux and usually when he needs to wear it, it seems so pretentious.

Bob was hoping when our two daughters got married that one of the 'guys' would where tuxedos so he could.  Can't very well outdress the grooms.  But nope.  Suits.  We did have a 'black tie dinner' at our home once.  That was fun.

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You'd be banished to the buffet on P&O! 

Oceania pretty much asks for 'country club casual' every night.  No jeans, athletic shoes, caps, can't remember the rest.

The last time I wore my tux on a cruise was 4 years ago on Celebrity.  We had probably done the dress thing 10 times or so before finally saying enough.  We're on Celebrity next week and I'm planning on dress pants or dockers and a button down shirt for the 1st elegant night, dockers and a golf shirt for any other night.

Perhaps if/when we sail on Regent or Cunard we'll go formal again.  Otherwise my tux will remain home until the g-kids start getting married.

3 minutes ago, evandbob said:

We're on Celebrity next week and I'm planning on dress pants or dockers and a button down shirt for the 1st elegant night

I'm sure you'll look very nice, but why do Celebrity bother having an elegant night when people wear what I would consider to be just normal attire?

When we started cruising, formal nights with tuxes and gowns were expected, and that's what we did. It was never really a big deal - we went to quite a few formal affairs every year until DH retired, and even now there are at least a couple of occasions yearly. So it was a bit of a relief to leave those behind when the dress codes were relaxed. DH still wears a blazer and dress slacks, while I will choose something dressier than usual for whatever the ship calls it's more formal night. We haven't sailed on a ship with a required formal dress for quite a few years now. 

3 hours ago, Gelynia80 said:

Our home times our dates include our kids and we just dont really go out for parties that ppl usually dress up in formal stuff for. Idk. 

My bf eye sight is fading and it started going fast this last year. Im not sure he can really even see well what im wearing and he still dresses nice, its just never real dressy. 

Hes excited for formal night. Hes never seen me in a gown dress and im so excited for it!

So, why don’t you get a sitter or take the kids with you and go out to a nice restaurant and dress up. 

3 hours ago, evandbob said:

The last time I wore my tux on a cruise was 4 years ago on Celebrity.  We had probably done the dress thing 10 times or so before finally saying enough.  We're on Celebrity next week and I'm planning on dress pants or dockers and a button down shirt for the 1st elegant night, dockers and a golf shirt for any other night.

You need not be concerned about that.  Celebrity dropped their "formal" nights a few years ago and now refer to a dress option as "chic" night instead, where formal is not expected or suggested, with the dress you suggest being typical.  As mentioned in a previous post, we haven't brought anything formal on RCI or Celebrity in the past 5 years and have been quite appropriately dressed in the manner you describe.  The dockers and golf shirt would be good for any night, any venue, and a button down shirt certainly more than good as well.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

11 hours ago, Husky61 said:

I haven't worn a Tux or suit or a tie in years on any night.  I wear slacks with an open shirt.😃

Same here. I cant bear the thought of wearing a tuxedo. Ever.

In fact I cannot fathom a fella getting all giddy and excited about buying one for a cruise and getting excited to get dressed in it.

Now my wife loves dressing up but I, as a fella, dont get the excitement. I cant even stand wearing a suit.

This dressing up lark is a lasses thing surely?

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

You need not be concerned about that.  Celebrity dropped their "formal" nights a few years ago and now refer to a dress option as "chic" night instead, where formal is not expected or suggested, with the dress you suggest being typical.  As mentioned in a previous post, we haven't brought anything formal on RCI or Celebrity in the past 5 years and have been quite appropriately dressed in the manner you describe.  The dockers and golf shirt would be good for any night, any venue, and a button down shirt certainly more than good as well.

I love celebrity. If for no other reason than this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

Probably.  But if it makes you happy, that is the only thing that is important.  Better a tux than the exercise sweats or jeans with holes in them that some people wear on formal nights.

DON

Better still just clean trousers and shirt. As long as folk are clean, that'll do me.

We always dress formally on the formal nights. Over the last few years we have noted a decided resurgence of formal dress on cruises out of Southampton. About 5 - 6 years ago maybe 50% would have dressed formally; in July this year my guesstimate would be 80%- 85%.

It is far less prevalent on cruises out of US ports.

FB_IMG_1562239177046.jpg

• Like 4

I wonder who, and when, decided that wearing a daft bow tie constituted formal wear?

Honestly, the most ridiculous clothing ever invented, closely followed by the tie.

And why do you people that like formal wear, like all fellas dressing exactly the same?

I have been invited to a business function at The Grosvenor Hotel, London and just found out its a black tie event.

I had to decline it. On grounds of Principle.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DarrenM said:

I had to decline it. On grounds of Principle.

For goodness sake Darren,  wearing a tie, suit etc, is not a matter of principle,  it is a personal preference, no more, no less. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

My next cruise is on Princess which still has "Formal" nights. They list the dress as:

"Formal
When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men"

We'll see is this is followed or enforced. Not holding my breath.

It is a request not a requirement and is certainly not enforced. One my last Princess cruise my formal night wear was a casual collared shirt, cargo pants and hiking boots.  I'm not dragging a suit, much less a tux, around to blend in with people who want to relive the glories of their high school prom.  

Formal nights are rapidly and thankfully becoming an anachronism on modern mass market cruising. Rejoice. 

• Like 1

No no. You misunderstand me. This is a strict dress code at this event.

I dont follow strict dress codes for anyone. Ever.

Nobdoy tells me what to wear, in the same way I dont tell anyone else what to wear.

See? Principles.

Maybe daft to you, and others, but its just something that irritates me. Maybe I need to get out more.🤣

2 minutes ago, K32682 said:

It is a request not a requirement and is certainly not enforced. One my last Princess cruise my formal night wear was a casual collared shirt, cargo pants and hiking boots.  I'm not dragging a suit, much less a tux, around to blend in with people who want to relive the glories of their high school prom.  

Formal nights are rapidly and thankfully becoming an anachronism on modern mass market cruising. Rejoice. 

Hear here

1 minute ago, DarrenM said:

No no. You misunderstand me. This is a strict dress code at this event.

I dont follow strict dress codes for anyone. Ever.

Nobdoy tells me what to wear, in the same way I dont tell anyone else what to wear.

See? Principles.

Maybe daft to you, and others, but its just something that irritates me. Maybe I need to get out more.🤣

Fine, I just think there are more important things in life to worry about. 

• Like 1