Are we the last of the Formal Dress people?

sealeggs

28 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Arent P&O renowned for their party passengers?

I doubt they are the sort to wear a Tuxedo on any night.

They are more of a party crowd than you would have found on your solitary Celebrity cruise

28 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Arent P&O renowned for their party passengers?

I doubt they are the sort to wear a Tuxedo on any night.

Costa and MSC are much more known for a rowdy clientele than P&O.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Lets say, for example, the fella in casual attire is rather loaded cash wise, and has a number of friends on board that he has paid for. Can you imagine P&O annoying him by refusing him and his friends entry into the dining room, due to not wearing a tuxedo?

He then lets them know that he and his rich mates will cruise with a rival firm next time.

I would imagine the bosses at P&O wouldnt be impressed with the staff member that refused them entry.

The point is, we are all hypocrites really.

Rules would be altered to suit big spenders. As in all things in life.

The P&O staff at the MDR do turn people away who do not comply with the dress code.  They have no interest in how much money an individual may have, merely that they should conform to the code that the individual agreed to when the cruise was booked. 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, K32682 said:

The bottom line is whether P&O employees deny entrance to the dining rooms and bars if a passenger is not wearing formal attire. Many cruise lines make recommendations but they will not deny access unless you are in a bathing suit or similar beach attire.  It's a vacation cruise not a costume party.  

Yes they do deny entrance. You chose the cruise line, you therefore chose to accept  the dress code. If the code is not to your liking, choose another cruise line. Simples!

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

So, why don’t you get a sitter or take the kids with you and go out to a nice restaurant and dress up. 

We frequently go to the nice and higher scale places where we live. My bf doesnt care a lot for formal events and since we live an hour apart we dont always have the chance to find someone we trust for the little kiddos. Im also not taking the littlest ones to a fancy event. 

We do dress nice going out, and i wear skirts often. I am just excited for formal wear on the cruise. 

I personally dont care if anyone else dresses formally but i do enjoy seeing other dresses on people. But if everyones in shorts and t shirts, its not gonna ruin my time and enjoyment of dressing up and looking different then in normal everyday wear.

Its just something im super excited to do! Im also really excited for my bf reaction lol its just added fun for me on our vacation. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I wonder who, and when, decided that wearing a daft bow tie constituted formal wear?

Somehow I'm guessing it might have been your fellow countrymen or their neighbors.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Yes they do deny entrance. You chose the cruise line, you therefore chose to accept  the dress code. If the code is not to your liking, choose another cruise line. Simples!

There would seem to be a lack of consistent enforcement according to the P&O board. Here are some examples:

Even among the diehard hold-outs frilly dress night is on the wane and on those lines that keep up the pretense enforcement is inconsistent.  

Edited by K32682

I have no problems with people wearing/not wearing formal attire on 'formal' nights. What l do take issue with is someone on either side of that particular fence name-calling the other side ("formal attire is stupid..." "I can't abide seeing people in casual clothes on formal nights").

Live and let live.  If l want to wear a tux, bow tie, shiny shoes and so on, l will, and by all means you wear your chinos and golf club polo shirt. I won't call you out over it, and l expect you will similarly respect my dress choices.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, K32682 said:

There would seem to be a lack of consistent enforcement according to the P&O board. Here are some examples:

Even among the diehard hold-outs frilly dress night is on the wane and on those lines that keep up the pretense enforcement is inconsistent.  

Blimey, you're really working hard to try and prove your point! How many posts did you look for that proved the opposite of your hypothesis? 

All I can say, is that from personal experience,  I have seen people refused entrance to the mdr. Does the policy always get followed - probably not,  which I would agree is wrong. You either have a policy or you don't.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Does the policy always get followed - probably not,  which I would agree is wrong.

This is forever argued.  But maybe I'll compare it to breaking a minor (or,hey, even major) law.  If you don't get caught and punished for it, it doesn't make it any less wrong.  A personal example is that I don't speed when driving.  Ever.  Even when I know I won't get caught.  Why because it's the rule.  Same with a dress code.  But I really do think that my age (70), growing up in the South and going to catholic schools has perhaps swayed me more than some.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, clo said:

I'm surprised that they didn't have that info available.

There is nothing on your booking that tells you about formal nights, only the standard RCI information about dress codes generally, and this clearly stated there would be 2 on an 8 night cruise.  I even asked the question on our roll call and was told it was 2.

15 minutes ago, mike x ftc said:

There is nothing on your booking that tells you about formal nights, only the standard RCI information about dress codes generally, and this clearly stated there would be 2 on an 8 night cruise.  I even asked the question on our roll call and was told it was 2.

Thanks.  And I hope you wrote them about the error on their website.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Blimey, you're really working hard to try and prove your point! How many posts did you look for that proved the opposite of your hypothesis? ll I can say, is that from personal experience,  I have seen people refused entrance to the mdr. Does the policy always get followed - probably not,  which I would agree is wrong. You either have a policy or you don't.

The site has a reasonable efficient search engine.  It was easy. The fact is formal night is in decline even among the last hold-outs.  

2 hours ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

I have no problems with people wearing/not wearing formal attire on 'formal' nights. What l do take issue with is someone on either side of that particular fence name-calling the other side ("formal attire is stupid..." "I can't abide seeing people in casual clothes on formal nights").

Live and let live.  If l want to wear a tux, bow tie, shiny shoes and so on, l will, and by all means you wear your chinos and golf club polo shirt. I won't call you out over it, and l expect you will similarly respect my dress choices.

I don't recall anyone being critical of people parading their formal finery in the MDR but there is often whinging among the resplendent when other passengers do not match the suggested standard of sartorial splendour. 

My decision not to bring a jacket is more practical than rebellious. It means I can travel carry-on only on my flights.  

Edited by K32682

I'm on my 3rd tux.  #1, a lovely garment, no longer fits.  #2, a JCP inexpensive garment, but still looks good and still fits is my back-up should I need it, #3, a very high quality garment that I bought with the idea that it will fit for the rest of my cruising life.  I enjoy dressing for formal evenings.  Some formal evenings, particularly when there are more than 2/cruise, I will go the coat/tie route for an evening or more.  I care not what how others choose to dress on formal night.  I respect their right to dress as they see fit and I expect that they will respect my choice to dress as I choose.

On my recent Alaska cruises, both of the tuxes stayed home because I expected Formal/Gala Nights would be more informal--which they were--and because I needed more space for clothing needed for a 10 day land stay in our 49th State.   

Well, this has been a fun thread! 

After taking a breath or two, I thought I might regroup.

Personally,  I don't care what people wear, within the grounds of common decency. 

However,  if a cruise line, hotel,  beach resort etc, requests a certain dress code,  then, if I book a vacation in that hotel etc, I would expect,  as a common courtesy,  that all other guests would follow that dress code.  To deliberately flout it seems to me to be downright rude. I really don't care if you wore a tie for the last 30 years,  or if it goes against your principles, if you don't like the code,  don't come on this holiday. 

Perhaps some cruise lines are being behind the times with their dress codes  - again, there are plenty of other lines to cruise with. We can all decide which line suits us best.

Finally, Darren - I have had some fantastic nights in my tux at the Grosvenor House  - and many more that I cannot fully remember! You don't know what you missed! 

• Like 7

On 10/8/2019 at 1:14 PM, sealeggs said:

We all like to get Dressed for Formal Nights. That is the reason I bought my Tux. My whole family dresses for Formal nights. Now that being said it doesn't ruin it for us when others do not.

DW and I like to dress for meals whether in MDR or specialty restaurants but that's just us.  For formal nights, I wear at least a suit.  On holiday cruises, I will bring white tie or black tie.  For us, it's part of the fun of the trip.  I can also say, I don't like t-shirts or shorts in the restaurants for dinner.  We cruise mostly on RCI, and dress code enforcement is hit or miss.  Anyway, our next cruise is Saturday, so you've given me a good reminder to pack!  We'll have fun regardless of what we or others wear. 🙂

• Like 2

yes I do. I know exactly what I missed. And believe me I didnt miss it one bit.

Been to many of these sort of events. Dorchester the last time. Wasnt compulsory black tie. Hated every minute of it.

But as an invited guest of a major supplier I had to go really.

Cant bear them though. Too many expense accounts being abused by folk trying to impress or just showing off. Buying expensive champagne and wine, for our table and some taking advantage of it.

Me looking on, with my guinness, in utter contempt.

And its always London. Always in London where this happens.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

However,  if a cruise line, hotel,  beach resort etc, requests a certain dress code,  then, if I book a vacation in that hotel etc, I would expect,  as a common courtesy,  that all other guests would follow that dress code.  To deliberately flout it seems to me to be downright rude. I really don't care if you wore a tie for the last 30 years,  or if it goes against your principles, if you don't like the code,  don't come on this holiday. 

Your issue should be with the cruise line managers who do not require their employees to enforce the "request."  It is widely known that with the possible exception of Cunard not submitting to the dress code carries no consequences provided one is not wearing items specifically proscribed in the corporate literature.  

My choice then is to pack additional clothes, check them on an aircraft (possibly at extra expense) or endure the silent disdain of a shrinking cabal of nameless and faceless passengers who are disconsolate that cruise line dress suggestions are not being strictly adhered to by everyone.  I'll take the second option.  

Edited by K32682
  • Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 11:30 AM, K32682 said:

My decision not to bring a jacket is more practical than rebellious.

Too lazy to reread these four pages.  So are you fine if you get denied admittance to certain venues?

On 10/9/2019 at 5:27 PM, DarrenM said:

yes I do. I know exactly what I missed. And believe me I didnt miss it one bit.

Been to many of these sort of events. Dorchester the last time. Wasnt compulsory black tie. Hated every minute of it.

But as an invited guest of a major supplier I had to go really.

Cant bear them though. Too many expense accounts being abused by folk trying to impress or just showing off. Buying expensive champagne and wine, for our table and some taking advantage of it.

Me looking on, with my guinness, in utter contempt.

And its always London. Always in London where this happens.

It seems like you're painting this with a rather broad brush.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, clo said:

Too lazy to reread these four pages.  So are you fine if you get denied admittance to certain venues?

I, for one, would be fine with that. I firmly believe I wouldnt enjoy a place with such a ridiculous dress code.

Yes I know, Broad brushing again. But sometimes its needed to make a broad point.