Are we the last of the Formal Dress people?

sealeggs

I've seen shorts in the MDR for breakfast & lunch.  Can't say that I have seen that for dinner.  But I don't go out of my way looking to things like that.   I did witness someone being turned away at dinner because of shorts.  It was Celebrity.  

26 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Even I draw the line at shorts and a baseball cap.

I just dont agree with the formal stuff where all fellas must look the same.

Where do you draw the line? You don't like formal nights, ties etc, but why not shorts? Nothing wrong with nicely tailored shorts.

42 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Where do you draw the line? You don't like formal nights, ties etc, but why not shorts? Nothing wrong with nicely tailored shorts.

If there's a rule/suggestion against them then no.  Even in the dead of summer I'd never wear shorts to dinner at a 'nice' restaurant.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I've seen shorts in the MDR for breakfast & lunch.  Can't say that I have seen that for dinner.  But I don't go out of my way looking to things like that.   I did witness someone being turned away at dinner because of shorts.  It was Celebrity.  

Depends who is at entrance, I questioned the girl who was at entrance to mdr on infinity in March when this clown in baseball hat and shorts walked in , she said she was not allowed to turn anyone away. We were in suite head waiter told be I should not where tank top for breakfast in luminae. 

4 hours ago, clo said:

I think it's (slightly) interesting that calling something 'silly dress-up game' and a 'phony affectation' somehow gives people the excuse they somehow need.  I guess they need an excuse.

When they denigrate others’ choices, they reveal an awful lot about themselves. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clo said:

If there's a rule/suggestion against them then no.  Even in the dead of summer I'd never wear shorts to dinner at a 'nice' restaurant.

In Dallas weather is between 90 and 100 something from June to September, we go to at least one upscale restaurant a week , never wear shorts, many people in suites and ties - I wouldn’t go that far. 

6 hours ago, clo said:

I think it's (slightly) interesting that calling something 'silly dress-up game' and a 'phony affectation' somehow gives people the excuse they somehow need.  I guess they need an excuse.

Excuse to do what?  There is no need for an "excuse" not to dress as you did at your high school prom while dining on a cruise ship if the people who are in charge of the boat do not object or deny entrance.  

2 hours ago, George C said:

between 90 and 100 something from June to September,

Ours starts a little later but, yeah.  We had some 107 days in '18.  But I wouldn't wear shorts to a nice place.

54 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Excuse to do what?  There is no need for an "excuse" not to dress as you did at your high school prom while dining on a cruise ship if the people who are in charge of the boat do not object or deny entrance.  

Yes, dear.

• Haha 1

Seems to be a certain amount of hypocrisy going around here. You either have rules, or you don't. If you don't like having to wear a jacket, tie etc - fine. Totally understand your point of view. But you can't then state that shorts are unacceptable- why ? 

So, it seems to me that there is a choice.  A dress code,  or no dress code.  If you accept that a code is required (ie no shorts) you cannot then arbitrarily decide a code requiring you to wear a jacket and tie is unacceptable. 

As they say - get off the fence! Code,  or no code. 

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Seems to be a certain amount of hypocrisy going around here. You either have rules, or you don't. If you don't like having to wear a jacket, tie etc - fine. Totally understand your point of view. But you can't then state that shorts are unacceptable- why ? 

So, it seems to me that there is a choice.  A dress code,  or no dress code.  If you accept that a code is required (ie no shorts) you cannot then arbitrarily decide a code requiring you to wear a jacket and tie is unacceptable. 

Always amazes me

”Do away with formal but I draw the line at .....”

as you say hypocrisy,

and for for goodness sake if there is a code comply with it and the ship enforce it.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, clo said:

I've never heard it said better.

Many many years ago I dated a professional baseball player from Tennessee. 

We got along great; he was a heck of a nice guy. 

Right until we were in a club with several friends and the first guy to order asked for a cocktail. 

My date, John,  said loud enough to be heard by the group that people who drink cocktails are just showing off. They want everyone to think they’re high class. We sat there, stunned and he went on. He said it’s like opera...nobody  really likes opera,  they just want to impress everyone. 

So we all ordered cocktails, he drank his beer and later when he took me home I said it was fun, but I didn’t  date snobs. 

A reverse snob is the worst kind!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jagsfan said:

Right until we were in a club with several friends and the first guy to order asked for a cocktail. 

My date, John,  said loud enough to be heard by the group that people who drink cocktails are just showing off. They want everyone to think they’re high class. We sat there, stunned and he went on. He said it’s like opera...nobody  really likes opera,  they just want to impress everyone. 

So we all ordered cocktails, he drank his beer and later when he took me home I said it was fun, but I didn’t  date snobs. 

Great anecdote.  I wonder if Darren will read it.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Always amazes me

”Do away with formal but I draw the line at .....”

as you say hypocrisy,

and for for goodness sake if there is a code comply with it and the ship enforce it.

Darren - ring any bells? 

On 10/8/2019 at 10:14 AM, sealeggs said:

We all like to get Dressed for Formal Nights. That is the reason I bought my Tux. My whole family dresses for Formal nights. Now that being said it doesn't ruin it for us when others do not.

I always love to see group/families deck out for Formal Night, makes for great pictures and sets the tone/spirit for dinner.   When my kids were little the boys complained, my girl loved it, I tolerated it, LOL.   But when we look back at some of the dinner pictures or set pictures brings back smiles.  The kids seemed to also understand it was a little bit different that night.    

Now they complain a bit just like when they were little but we all enjoy getting dressed up.       

Agreed if others want to show up in jeans and t-shirt no big deal to me or my group.    Food, service, my table atmosphere didn't change one bit.    

I'd have a different thought if some came to my kids wedding dressed like I see some at Formal night, they just might get seated in the back corner with the kiddos, LOL

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

None of us get to decide what is acceptable. That is a decision of the people who are in charge of the boat. The cruise lines are quite clear in their literature about what is suggested/requested/recommended.  They are also clear about which items are prohibited. 

If there is hypocrisy it rests with the corporations.  They entice with glamorous pictures of formal wear suitable for the Ritz Restaurant and Terrace in London when the reality is they will tolerate attire similar to that found in an Olive Garden in Buffalo.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, K32682 said:

None of us get to decide what is acceptable. That is a decision of the people who are in charge of the boat. The cruise lines are quite clear in their literature about what is suggested/requested/recommended.  They are also clear about which items are prohibited. 

If there is hypocrisy it rests with the corporations.  They entice with glamorous pictures of formal wear suitable for the Ritz Restaurant and Terrace in London when the reality is they will tolerate attire similar to that found in an Olive Garden in Buffalo.

To an extent I agree with you. What us hypocritical is when people decry a dress code that requires a tie, but then get upset when someone wears shorts.

By the by, you cruise on a ship, not a boat! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, George C said:

Depends who is at entrance, I questioned the girl who was at entrance to mdr on infinity in March when this clown in baseball hat and shorts walked in , she said she was not allowed to turn anyone away. We were in suite head waiter told be I should not where tank top for breakfast in luminae. 

Funny, it was Infinity that I saw the guy being refused.  Anyway, I do believe you.  I guess it depends on how much push back they are willing to take.  Funny thing is you can wear pretty casual clothes on Celebrity.  Kind of have to work hard to violate their dress code. Lol.  

My personal take on tank tops:  If one is an old dude then they shouldn't be worn period.   😀

58 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Well, he was at least correct about opera.  😀😀😀

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

I would think it is because shorts are specifically excluded while coat/tie is suggested as opposed to required. 

• Like 1