Are we the last of the Formal Dress people?

sealeggs

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was on the Norwegian Gem  in 2013 and people wore shorts to dinner.

This was on the Jewel.  We took a cruising break for a few years afterward because my husband didn’t want to have to dress up for dinner on a cruise to the Caribbean.  Our next several cruises were on Royal and they never had an issue with the shorts in the MDR (again, these were nice khaki shorts, not jean shorts or cargo shorts).

1 minute ago, momofmab said:

This was on the Jewel.  We took a cruising break for a few years afterward because my husband didn’t want to have to dress up for dinner on a cruise to the Caribbean.  Our next several cruises were on Royal and they never had an issue with the shorts in the MDR (again, these were nice khaki shorts, not jean shorts or cargo shorts).

I posted this before but not on this thread.On my last cruise which was on the RCI Grandeur Of The Seas a guy entered the MDR wearing a white tee shirt,white tennis shoes and white shorts.All he was missing was the tennis racquet.He also was wearing a white hat. Our waiter told us that the guy was a famous actor from somewhere in Europe.He did not look familiar to me. Then 2 guys came in wearing sweatsuits.I was told that the older of the two was a retired NBA basketball player traveling with his son.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was on the Norwegian Gem  in 2013 and people wore shorts to dinner.

agree, anything goes on NCL... we dressed up ... most didn't... went on a cruise to Israel a few years back on NCL. 

We now dress up on all lines, anytime we feel like whether formal night or not, since anything goes for most part on all lines.   We don't even bother to go to the MDR any more... many days, we enjoy a late lunch in the buffet, relax afterwards, dress up as much as we like and go out and enjoy the  shows and activities, skipping dinner entirely... other nights we go to the Steak house, Crown Grill and to shows etc.   Does not bother me what others wear... we make the cruise what we want as most people do these days.  Happy cruising, wear what you like, enjoy yourselves.  

Even though I have accepted the relaxed to sloppy dress of many Americans, I hope someday we see folks take more pride in how the present themselves, but I am not holding my breath.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, pris993 said:

agree, anything goes on NCL... we dressed up ... most didn't... went on a cruise to Israel a few years back on NCL. 

We now dress up on all lines, anytime we feel like whether formal night or not, since anything goes for most part on all lines.   We don't even bother to go to the MDR any more... many days, we enjoy a late lunch in the buffet, relax afterwards, dress up as much as we like and go out and enjoy the  shows and activities, skipping dinner entirely... other nights we go to the Steak house, Crown Grill and to shows etc.   Does not bother me what others wear... we make the cruise what we want as most people do these days.  Happy cruising, wear what you like, enjoy yourselves.  

Even though I have accepted the relaxed to sloppy dress of many Americans, I hope someday we see folks take more pride in how the present themselves, but I am not holding my breath.  

For 38 years when working I had to wear a suit every day.Shirts were always white.I recall days wearing my black wool suit and sweating because we did not yet have AC .Now I only wear a suit going to weddings ,not even to funerals.

7 hours ago, K32682 said:

...Absent that option I'd first test the line to see if I were actually denied entrance to the MDR.  If they did I'd return from my cabin a few minutes later wearing my rattiest jacket and most gruesome necktie. 

So, if the staff does act appropriately to provide the line’s  customers with the advertised experience, you would retaliate by attempting to punish them and your fellow passengers ... even at the cost of having to bring “...your rattiest jacket and most gruesome necktie “ (which I can visualize your  posessing) and thereby jeopardize your vaunted ability to travel with just carry-on?  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

For 38 years when working I had to wear a suit every day.Shirts were always white.I recall days wearing my black wool suit and sweating because we did not yet have AC .Now I only wear a suit going to weddings ,not even to funerals.

It is your choice how you present your self... you valid my perception that american values have gone from relaxed to sloppy... glad you will not be attending my funeral.  LOL 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pris993 said:

It is your choice how you present your self... you valid my perception that american values have gone from relaxed to sloppy... glad you will not be attending my funeral.  LOL 

Hopefully it will not be for a very long time but you have no idea if people on CC actually know people other people on CC but just do not realize it.

We were on a cruise several years ago and met a couple from PA .During the course of a lengthy conversation we realized that the wife and I were high school classmates.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

So, if the staff does act appropriately to provide the line’s  customers with the advertised experience, you would retaliate by attempting to punish them and your fellow passengers ... even at the cost of having to bring “...your rattiest jacket and most gruesome necktie “ (which I can visualize your  posessing) and thereby jeopardize your vaunted ability to travel with just carry-on?  

I am meeting the standard as defined in the "advertised experience."  My rattiest jacket is hardly a rag just an older tweed that has provided good service on English shoots but is showing wear and may have a feather or two still tucked in it.  My most gruesome tie is not offensive but it is quite loud.  Standards met. 

My comments were in response to a hypothetical situation.  Among the benefits of this forum is learning which lines entice prospective customers with promises of Ritz-level elegance only to provide an Olive Garden experience in the MDR. Outside of the hypothetical question, cruisers can rest comfortably that my ratty jacket and gruesome tie will not be making an MDR appearance and my carry-on only status will remain intact. 

30 minutes ago, pris993 said:

things can get outta hand rather quickly when society allows it. 

Image result for saggy bottom jeans

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Hopefully it will not be for a very long time but you have no idea if people on CC actually know people other people on CC but just do not realize it.

We were on a cruise several years ago and met a couple from PA .During the course of a lengthy conversation we realized that the wife and I were high school classmates.

Another example:We were on a cruise 2 years ago.I was in conversation with a guy from Berkeley,CA.I told him that my 2 closest friends from high school currently lived in Berkeley.He said that I can mention the names but he probably will not know them.I mention one ,he said,no ,do not know him.I mentioned the second name and he nearly fell.My friend from HS was his current very close friend.He said he could not wait to get off the ship to call him.He literally ran to his cabin to get his phone to call our mutual friend.

23 minutes ago, K32682 said:

I am meeting the standard as defined in the "advertised experience."  My rattiest jacket is hardly a rag just an older tweed that has provided good service on English shoots but is showing wear and may have a feather or two still tucked in it.  My most gruesome tie is not offensive but it is quite loud.  Standards met. 

My comments were in response to a hypothetical situation.  Among the benefits of this forum is learning which lines entice prospective customers with promises of Ritz-level elegance only to provide an Olive Garden experience in the MDR. Outside of the hypothetical question, cruisers can rest comfortably that my ratty jacket and gruesome tie will not be making an MDR appearance and my carry-on only status will remain intact. 

Yeah .... right!

How about this scenario since the dress code has been "relaxed" over the years:

1.  the Captain wears one of those tuxedo t-shirts

2.  your room steward wears shorts and a ZZ Top t-shirt

3.  your MDR waiter is in camo

4  head chef has a "I'm with stupid >" t-shirt and a baseball cap

What would be one's opinion of such?  very unprofessional of course.

What do you think they are thinking?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, momofmab said:

Where is the difference between Khaki shorts and cargo shorts, again a level of hypocrisy that I cannot fathom, if one is OK why not the other.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, K32682 said:

Conversely, those who don't immediately submit to the cruise line suggestions of how to dress have been accused of being "downright rude" (post 93,) accused of having a chip on their shoulder, ordered to improve their spelling (post 108,) and rebuked for using the word "boat" (post 108.) Or did you forget your own posts? 

I'm not moaning and groaning about the cruise line requests.  I am ignoring them.  So are the cruise lines for the most part. 

The one you are referring to has been borderline stalking me on this thread too. Or has an obsession with me.

Now rather than responding to each of the 85 posts he mentioned my name I shall so it all here.

Apologies for typos. Fat fingers on the phone.

There is a huge difference between enforcing formal wear and having standards of decency.

Some on here seem incapable of understanding that.

A simple example.

An older fella turns up in his tuxedo. Same one he has used for 30 years. Fits the dress code but looks like a tramp. Also hasn't had a wash and smells like a rotting corpse. Hasn't brushed his teeth and breath smells like a raccoon.

At the same time someone comes in looking like a tennis pro. Whit short white shirts white trainers. But has been washed and has sprayed deodorant and wearing aftershave.

And they are seated either side of me. I know which one i would be complaining about.

So its not double standards about formal nights. It's just respectful to look clean and smart ish in the mdr. 

And anyone that enters the mdr wearing the same clothes they have had on all day after a visit to Pompeii and smelling like a farm animal then they are.tramps and should be slung out.

As for the example of the sports fella calling everyone snobs. I fail to see what I should be interested in that anecdote.

For the record. Very few working class folk ever go to see an opera. It is most definitely confined to those of a certain disposition and money.

Opera music is awful though.

Amen.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Where is the difference between Khaki shorts and cargo shorts, again a level of hypocrisy that I cannot fathom, if one is OK why not the other.

Cargo shorts have multiple pockets that stick out from the sides and are considered to be sporty/casual.

23 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Very few working class folk ever go to see an opera. It is most definitely confined to those of a certain disposition and money.

Opera music is awful though.

Amen.

I'm hardly a member of the upper crust but have attended performances at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden and depending on the performance seats can be purchased for as little as £5 or about the price of a pint in Central London.

And fancy trousers and sparkly dresses are not required at the ROH. 

"There is no dress code – feel free to dress up or down." 

https://www.roh.org.uk/visit/attending-a-performance