Are we the last of the Formal Dress people?

sealeggs

On 10/9/2019 at 7:05 AM, K32682 said:

Ā 

My own experience varies but admittedly I have not sailed from Southampton nor on the tonier lines like Cunard whose shipsĀ sail from their frequently.Ā  If 80 per cent did wear ties it was a voluntary choice not an edict imposed by a cruise line (Cunard excepted.) The same post also said the U.S. ports had a lower participation rate.Ā Ā 

Ā 

On my Princess cruise to Alaska I'd estimate ties were worn about about 30 per cent of the male passengers, some woreĀ just jackets and one or two dottering codgers wore tuxedos.Ā  My other recent cruises would put the fancy pants participation rate around 50 per cent mostly among older cruises.Ā 

I really recent the comment of "two dottering codgers wore tuxedos",Ā  also "fancy pants" there are some of us who just truly enjoy dressing up for ourselves and while we are in our 80's still look damn good !!!!Ā  Tux and gown for us when cruising and damn the nay sayers !!

Ā 

• Like 2

My only issue with that is how many young people are cruising?Ā 

Ā 

It cant be that many. And therefore I suspect they are of a certain stock.

Ā 

Most young folk are off for two weeks in ibiza or magaluf. And lets face it that's where they should be.

Ā 

I would never have dreamt of cruising when in my 20s or even 30s.

Ā 

Ā 

9 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Ā 

Ā 

Most young folk are off for two weeks in ibiza or magaluf. And lets face it that's where they should be.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I 'feel' like your right.Ā  'Course the mega lines are doing climbing walls and the like.Ā  Are they trying or getting the younger pax?Ā  Our daughters and their husbands are in their early 40s, each with two little kids, and I can't imagine them wanting to go on a cruise. Anecdotal only of course.

I really dont know. There weren't many what I would call young adults on our cruise. And if the example of my sons are their friends are anything to go by the last holiday they would consider would be a cruise. And they are 25 and 21 so two separate age groups.

Ā 

In fact I would be shocked if either of them said they andĀ their mates were going on a cruise.Ā  Not when they have mental party resorts to go to.

I love to see people dressed up on occasion....and we still do so for formal nights. I miss the days when people respected the dress code in so many places. Perhaps the cruise ships could specify one dining room (on formal nights)for compliant dress and make it a special event. Others who prefer to stay more casual would still have a MDR experience in another setting. If the cruise lines that we sail drop the requests for more formal attire, we'd certainly go smart casual, at the least, for dinner. Trying to please everyone just doesn't work, in my opinion.

50 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Showing my age ! I meant 30 somethings with children.

2 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I cruised once in my 20ā€™s and I have absolutely no idea why.My next cruise was when I was in my 50ā€™s and my lifestyle changed.

1 hour ago, lovrccl said:

We just got off Symphony and first formal night only half of the ship was dressed in Smart casual, a few in dresses. The rest t-shirts, jeans, shorts. Cruising is changing ā˜¹ļø

Did you have a gut reaction to that?

2 hours ago, peacefulOR said:

compliant dress

Ā 

Hi Rainey - hope you're both enjoying this early winter weather!

Ā 

I love the way you described it, "compliant dress".Ā  Doesn't denigrate those who wish to dress up or down.

Ā 

Darlene

2 hours ago, clo said:

I 'feel' like your right.Ā  'Course the mega lines are doing climbing walls and the like.Ā  Are they trying or getting the younger pax?Ā  Our daughters and their husbands are in their early 40s, each with two little kids, and I can't imagine them wanting to go on a cruise. Anecdotal only of course.

Our daughters are in their 40ā€™s and love cruising .I have no idea why.

1 hour ago, lovrccl said:

We just got off Symphony and first formal night only half of the ship was dressed in Smart casual, a few in dresses. The rest t-shirts, jeans, shorts. Cruising is changing ā˜¹ļø

what cruise line was that?Ā 

Just now, lovrccl said:

Royal Caribbean, they have changed their dining room dress code. You can wear anything except swim wear.

awww yes R C I,Ā  decided to bend to the whining of the gallant and nimble minded.