Complimentary Luggage Tags?

Hi all.

I was thinking about my upcoming cruise on Anthem of the Seas and a question popped into my head.

"Does RCI send adhesive luggage tags or do I have to print them?"

That led to a google search, in which I found this: http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/eDocs/12028078_Guest_Documents_Printable_Luggage_Tags.pdf

I tried the link the document to request adhesive luggage tags as we are booked in a grand suite, but it didn't yield any results. So then I searched here, and that also didn't yield any results. So, what's the deal? Is it printable luggage tags only? If not, where can I request the adhesive ones from RCI?

Thanks in advance!

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

The adhesive luggage tags are no longer available for free.  However, if you purchase paper documents (I believe for $35), they will include the adhesive luggage tags.

Awesome, thanks. Just to clarify, they are no longer available for free to any passenger, correct? No matter room category or C&A status?

9 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

Awesome, thanks. Just to clarify, they are no longer available for free to any passenger, correct? No matter room category or C&A status?

That is my understanding.  For a time, they were available for free to guests in Grand Suites and better, plus Pinnacle level C&A members, but that was discontinued.

• Like 1

Just now, Merion_Mom said:

If you really don't want to print them - and it sounds like you don't - wait until you get to the port and the porters will hand-write tags for your bags.

Thanks for the option! It's not that I don't want to print them, it's more along the lines of; if they offer ones I don't have to print, i would take advantage of it.

• Like 2

Look on Amazon for "Cruise Luggage Tag Holder" and you will find lots of things much easier to use than the sticky labels. They also work for the numbered tags used for disembarkation. Send the luggage tag PDF supplied with your cruise docs to your local office supply store to have it printed in color. I use FedEx printing and its less than $2 for 4 tags. Just cut out the tag and slip into the reusable holder. No tape or staple needed.

Luggage tags are one of those little amenities Royal has discontinued.  Celebrity still sends them out (to suite class) as does Oceania.  My guess is so do a dozen other cruise lines.  Anyway, now I just print them out on my HP, laminate, and attach.  Laminating makes the tag sturdier/stiffer so that it doesn't tear or shred when the suitcase is being shuffled around.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

If you really don't want to print them - and it sounds like you don't - wait until you get to the port and the porters will hand-write tags for your bags.

That’s what we always do, unless cruiseline sends real tags (Celebrity, Cunard).

5 hours ago, SilentHill said:

Thanks for the option! It's not that I don't want to print them, it's more along the lines of; if they offer ones I don't have to print, i would take advantage of it.

We always print them but use clear packing tape to “laminate” them so they don’t tear.  Porters will hand write, but I prefer the “official” ones.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BillHana said:

Look on Amazon for "Cruise Luggage Tag Holder" and you will find lots of things much easier to use than the sticky labels. They also work for the numbered tags used for disembarkation. Send the luggage tag PDF supplied with your cruise docs to your local office supply store to have it printed in color. I use FedEx printing and its less than $2 for 4 tags. Just cut out the tag and slip into the reusable holder. No tape or staple needed.

Satisfy my curiosity please. Why do you need to send the pdf out to be printed and have to pay for it when any printer will print them in black and white or color???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

I believe they stopped the free luggage tags about 2016 grand suite and above  , shame, celebrity still mails them for all cabins .

Celebrity only mails them out if you specifically request them but there is a place to make that request when you check in on line.  Disney is one of the very few cruise lines that still automatically mails them out to all of their cruisers.  I know it sounds silly but I just hate the extra little chore of having to write my name on each tag and then fold it up and insert it into the reusable holder.  I do not understand why they cannot at least have the customer's name included in the pdf file.  After all, that file contains the cabin number so it would have to be easy to have the name there too.

You can print them out in color and there is an app on the internet that will print 4 to a page.  Print as many as you think you will need (I put two on every luggage and carry on) and put them in the readily available boarding pass holders on line.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, actuarian said:

Celebrity only mails them out if you specifically request them but there is a place to make that request when you check in on line.  Disney is one of the very few cruise lines that still automatically mails them out to all of their cruisers.  I know it sounds silly but I just hate the extra little chore of having to write my name on each tag and then fold it up and insert it into the reusable holder.  I do not understand why they cannot at least have the customer's name included in the pdf file.  After all, that file contains the cabin number so it would have to be easy to have the name there too.

Pretty simple to give them a quick call 

12 hours ago, Namelocg said:

Satisfy my curiosity please. Why do you need to send the pdf out to be printed and have to pay for it when any printer will print them in black and white or color???

Not everyone has a color printer at home.

I see both sides of the argument here.  On Royal's side, it's pretty much impossible for them to know how many to send you.  If they don't send you enough then there's the added hassle and expense (on their part) of you having to call to request more, and wait for them to send them out.  And what if you don't realize you need more until the last minute?

On the cruiser's side, having to either pack a stapler or hunt one down after you arrive in your embarkation city is a real pain.  I asked at the hotel front desk if I could borrow theirs and they looked at me like I had lobsters crawling out of my ears.  Even though at least half the people staying there were clearly on cruises, and they must get that request all the time.

Given then choice, I think I prefer the current system.  I'm not going to buy tag holders, as I dislike unitasker items like that.  This year I'll be buying a mini stapler that I can pack.

17 hours ago, mitz18 said:

We always print them but use clear packing tape to “laminate” them so they don’t tear.  Porters will hand write, but I prefer the “official” ones.

You don't need to protect them from tearing -- it's difficult to tear paper that has been folded that many times.  Try it for yourself and see -- thick paper doesn't tear easily.

The actual "damage danger" is in the staple -- if you only staple your luggage tags at the end, so they make a big loop, it's more likely that something (like someone's hand as they're grabbing for a bag or the wheel on another suitcase, etc.) will catch on the loop and cause the staple to pull through and the tag to then fall off.  

When you put the tag on your bag, the best thing to do is staple the end and then also staple it NEAR THE HANDLE, so the loop part is tight around the handle and the rest of the tag is lying flat.  If there's not a loose part to catch on things, then there's pretty much no way that the tag is coming off the bag unintentionally.   

32 minutes ago, brillohead said:

You don't need to protect them from tearing -- it's difficult to tear paper that has been folded that many times.  Try it for yourself and see -- thick paper doesn't tear easily.

The actual "damage danger" is in the staple -- if you only staple your luggage tags at the end, so they make a big loop, it's more likely that something (like someone's hand as they're grabbing for a bag or the wheel on another suitcase, etc.) will catch on the loop and cause the staple to pull through and the tag to then fall off.  

When you put the tag on your bag, the best thing to do is staple the end and then also staple it NEAR THE HANDLE, so the loop part is tight around the handle and the rest of the tag is lying flat.  If there's not a loose part to catch on things, then there's pretty much no way that the tag is coming off the bag unintentionally.   

Good point, but we also tape the ends together vs staple.  Although they are difficult to get off after that. 😠