Brits rebel on Norwegian Spirit

Missed three countries that it was meant to go to, and at least two replacement ports. And the ports it did visit were all in Norway, many close by so excursions were duplicated.

25% off a future cruise is a bit light on and dismal for such severe disruption. It may be weather related, but other cruise lines have also paid greater compensation when there's been disruption as well. 25% refund, or 50% off future cruise is more like it.

4 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:25% off a future cruise is a bit light on and dismal for such severe disruption. It may be weather related, but other cruise lines have also paid greater compensation when there's been disruption as well. 25% refund, or 50% off future cruise is more like it.

It’s weather related - not something they could forecast - and options are limited for alternate ports

I want to sail on the cruise company you run - at least while it was still in business....

You’re very generous (with NCLs $$$) 

Almost a mutiny.  Whingeing subjects of the Queen.  They got reasonable compo for weather that nobody can control.  Perhaps in hindsight the ship should not have departed Southampton, given the weather forthcoming.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Almost a mutiny.  Whingeing subjects of the Queen.  They got reasonable compo for weather that nobody can control.  Perhaps in hindsight the ship should not have departed Southampton, given the weather forthcoming.

Or maybe they should have done the Baltic instead.

I agree that we have seen greater compensation for less disruption from some other cruise lines. 

But now NCL is between a rock and a hard place.  They cannot reward the mob mentality for fear of repeated behaviour whenever a port is missed.

8 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

From that I can see that UK passengers demand that cruise lines be held accountable for the weather.

You would think most people would be grateful to be kept out of the path of a Cat 5 hurricane.

That's an exaguration,cat 5 is the strength that destroyed New Orleans.When they reach European Atlantic waters they become storms.We did a similar itinerary recently.We sailed from Orkney in the remnants of another hurricane,cicumnavigated Iceland with 3 ports and 2 sea days back to Dublin in a storm force 10.The Captain ducked behind the Isle of Lewis and was only 3 hrs late for Dublin.The NCL Captain must have been a wuss,ours was a Pom,lol.

Edited by brian1

36 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Some lines and some captains are much more cautious with how they skirt around storms or bad weather.

We've only missed 1 port,Puntarenus in Chile.The Captain swerved into the fjords to avoid a storm.It turned out better as we got to see glaciers and whales.I heard Puntarenus is a bit of a dump anyway,lol.

9 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

It’s weather related - not something they could forecast - and options are limited for alternate ports

I want to sail on the cruise company you run - at least while it was still in business....

You’re very generous (with NCLs $$$) 

Well aware of the weather. But they're about delivering experiences, not just blaming something else. And given the magnitude of the mess, there's a lot of disgruntled passengers. 25% future discount is low in the scale of what has been granted at other times - in lesser circumstances.

Not my dollars - just giving a fair estimate of damage. I could equally say you're very tight with NCLs $$$.

7 hours ago, banzaii said:

I agree that we have seen greater compensation for less disruption from some other cruise lines. 

But now NCL is between a rock and a hard place.  They cannot reward the mob mentality for fear of repeated behaviour whenever a port is missed.

But here there were 5? original ports missed. Pretty exceptional circumstances.

7 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I think it is in line with what NCL have offered before, like when the ship broke down outside of Melbourne.

Actually, they got $1000 PLUS the a 100% credit for a future cruise. Big difference.

I am in two minds about these situation. I agree that it is a little unreasonable to hold a cruise line responsible for weather on the other hand as a cruise company they should be aware that their business is at the mercy of the weather and have different levels of compensation packages at the ready for different levels of disruption. A one size package is not going to fit all situations. 

And to be honest I am not a fan of credit for future anything compensation. At the end of the day a lot of people will not be in a position to take up such offers so it is really like not getting compensated at all. There should always be a monetary option for compensation even if it less value because it is better to have compensation you will use then compensation you will never touch.

Honestly, I’m surprised with the generosity of the cruise industry in general.  My experiences with the airlines have not been very satisfying.  Flight delayed or cancelled?  Too bad for you.  Hotel rooms overbooked?  Good luck.  I think NCL is being more than fair.

6 hours ago, Frenchberet said:

Honestly, I’m surprised with the generosity of the cruise industry in general.  My experiences with the airlines have not been very satisfying.  Flight delayed or cancelled?  Too bad for you.  Hotel rooms overbooked?  Good luck.  I think NCL is being more than fair.

Good point.

7 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I am in two minds about these situation. I agree that it is a little unreasonable to hold a cruise line responsible for weather on the other hand as a cruise company they should be aware that their business is at the mercy of the weather and have different levels of compensation packages at the ready for different levels of disruption. A one size package is not going to fit all situations. 

And to be honest I am not a fan of credit for future anything compensation. At the end of the day a lot of people will not be in a position to take up such offers so it is really like not getting compensated at all. There should always be a monetary option for compensation even if it less value because it is better to have compensation you will use then compensation you will never touch.

I agree, but then this way the cruise line can still get something out of it by building in a revenue stream at the cost of the compensation. People will likely have to spend more in order to take advantage of the future credit.

Just read this News Corp report on it - https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/passengers-launch-protest-as-cruise-ship-fails-to-stick-to-itinerary/news-story/be1c0eda7843e15ad6c9a415f9b74bf2?

Couldn’t stop laughing at the Continual use of luxury or luxurious to describe the cruise...I guess for some it was 

Just what we need - more sensationalist reporting on cruises 

Firstly do you really believe anything you read in the media these days. A lot of this is probably a media beat-up about things that never really happened or have been exaggerated.

Usually these sorts of protests are confined to small groups and easily disperse. A similar one happened on the Diamond Princess two years ago around Japan where a typhoon cancelled two ports and delayed others. The Captain had the protesters disembarked from the ship half way through the cruise and the rest of the passengers after that got future cruise credits and on board credits for missed ports.

In my situation I really did not care that we were missing ports. I was enjoying the ship and having a great time. The majority of the passengers were having a great time. Its always a small minority that do these sorts of things and only the stupid and uneducated ones that protest because of the weather.