Ultimate Balcony Dining

debhaynes

My DH and I will be on the Grand Princess November cruise to Hawaii from San Francisco.  I would like to order the Ultimate Balcony Dinner, but was wondering if they bring in a larger table or do we have to eat on the little balcony table already in place?  We are in a BC balcony cabin.

Deb

24 minutes ago, debhaynes said:

My DH and I will be on the Grand Princess November cruise to Hawaii from San Francisco.  I would like to order the Ultimate Balcony Dinner, but was wondering if they bring in a larger table or do we have to eat on the little balcony table already in place?  We are in a BC balcony cabin.

Deb

They provide a larger folding table like a card table.  We enjoyed our first UBD at sunset during the evening in Honolulu.

We’ve enjoyed our UBDs even on smaller Royal-class balconies.

Edited by Astro Flyer

56 minutes ago, debhaynes said:

Deb

Yes they bring in the appropriate table.

We have had them bring in a large piece of plywood cut in a circle and placed on a table that they brought in. Whatever it takes.

15 hours ago, debhaynes said:

Deb

We also like the Deluxe Balcony Breakfast. It is not as over the top as the dinner, but very nice and a lot of fun. 

look at all that butter !!!

6 minutes ago, Andrew J. Cat said:

This picture was from last January on Regal Princess in a mini suite.  We were docked in St. Thomas.  They placed the tiny round table inside and put this one on the balcony for the dinner.  We and the staff had plenty of room.

It was awesome!!!

CD5DF345-5D61-4EFC-88AE-E6254CBF9A74.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OP, not only do they bring the table, if the weather or sea conditions are inclement, you can, comfortably, sit at the table inside your balcony cabin.  We've done that on three of the four UBDs. that we have enjoyed.  As usual, we are the outliers and prefer to have the UBD at sea instead of in port.

Also, I have never had a chocolate cake dessert in four UBDs.  Maybe they provide it on request.  This is the "default" dessert:

261390779_IMG_4011(1).jpg.f8d52805bdc4b6a1115e3a5a9d743492.jpg

It is awesome.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, DMT1970 said:

Do you have a choice of meal or is it whatever they provide

There’s a standard surf and/or turf menu but when they meet you before the UBD you can request changes including items from the dining room menu.  We only did that once & they added a goat cheese soufflé to the standard menu.  We’ve been allowed to exchange the half bottle of champagne for a full bottle of red wine that costs the same.

B3EA0702-3FFB-468F-991B-CB6DD3548201.jpeg

71B7F708-93CA-4E59-9750-1E31DFC37BBF.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

The UBD in Honolulu is definitely they way to go. As there is a late departure from port, even the traditional dining turns into anytime, so you won’t miss your table mates that evening. That and as the ship is docked, that means not a lot of wind on the balcony (unless one had beans for lunch! 😉 ). I specifically made sure I had a Starboard cabin on the Star to make sure we had a view of downtown Honolulu for our UBD. It didn’t hurt that we were in a Caribe balcony cabin, so were able to retreat under the overhang when a stray thunderstorm rolled through the area in the middle of dinner.

We had a port side balcony to see the sunset but starboard side with views of Honolulu & Diamond Head are also wonderful...no bad side. 😉

We had an early UBD & then went to the Princess Theater to watch the Keiki (Children) hula performance accompanied by adult musicians & singers.