Tours of Moorea from Papeete?

banzaii

I have run some searches and haven't been able to find an answer so hoping to get some context here.

We are booked on RCCL Ovation on a TP in September 2020 and calling on Papeete, Bora Bora and Moorea in that order due to an itinerary change.  This means that the Papeete times are between 6am and 5pm on a Saturday to allow the extra time to move to Bora Bora.

I have always had the idea of making an extra day in Moorea by taking an early ferry across, enjoying the day and a return ferry.  This might be cutting things too fine and I really don't fancy becoming a "pier runner".

So my question is, do any tour operators run tours from Papeete to Moorea which include the boat trip across?

It seems strange if they don't but for the life of me I can't find any.  In fact when you search Papeete tours on Viator, most of them are in Moorea.

Cheers,

Mick

8 hours ago, banzaii said:

So my question is, do any tour operators run tours from Papeete to Moorea which include the boat trip across?

Mick,

Think you will be hard pressed to find a Moorea tour that leaves from Papeete. But I hope someone proves me wrong.

You really might consider the ferry- Aremiti or Teravau. One leaves at 7:45-8am and with a return 2:30-3pm. Would give you from approximately 9am to 2pm. Just did it last December and it was a breeze. The thing about the ferry is that it doesn't always run exactly on schedule. It ran 30-45 minutes late for us. Can depart a little early or a little late, and, as you say you don't want to be a pier runner. Your ship will be berthed immediately adjacent to the ferry btw. Your ship's all aboard time will be 4:30 do you think? You should be fine.

5 hours extra time on Moorea is a big YES. There's no backup if you miss the ferry or if it is extraordinarily late but it's a chance I'd take.

Eager to hear what my friend Tahitian Big Kahuna thinks, or if he knows of a tour from Papeete to Moorea.

Edited by Petoonya

Big Kahana speaks  ......

I would take the ferry over and pick up a pre-booked car from Avis/Pacificar right across the street. Rent fro 4 hours which will give you enough time to circle the island and take in some of the major 'tourist' stops. You drop the car off and walk across the street and board the ferry. 

As mentioned the ferry terminal on Tahiti is next door to your ship. 

As you will have the tourist spot checked off on Moorea you will be able to pick a place / excursion when you return on the ship and just relax. That is one big ship so it will be very busy when your on Moorea so think private excursion or veg at a day use facility like the Hilton. Or pre-book a car rental but not so early that your fighting to get off the ship with all the ship's excursions getting off first. Have a car rental place pick you up directly from the tender location around 9:30 am. Then go over to the Lagoonquarium on the east side of Moorea. Off the beaten trek, the crows won't be there and relax for the day.

Thanks for the replies Nancy and Big Kahuna.

As I said, it was always my plan to catch an early ferry across.  If we do make use of the extra time in Moorea, I agree its best to just keep it simple.  A car for 4 hours might just be the best way to familairise ourselves with the island.

I have heard great things about the Hilton day pass, but not much about the lagoonaquarium.  How hard is it to get to each from tender dock?

1 hour ago, banzaii said:

Thanks for the replies Nancy and Big Kahuna.

As I said, it was always my plan to catch an early ferry across.  If we do make use of the extra time in Moorea, I agree its best to just keep it simple.  A car for 4 hours might just be the best way to familairise ourselves with the island.

I have heard great things about the Hilton day pass, but not much about the lagoon-aquarium.  How hard is it to get to each from tender dock?

If you have a car it's pretty simple but I was thinking the aquarium when you return on the ship  ..... get away from the crowds, IMO the aquarium is overlooked and a great place to hang dfor the day  .... and reasonable 😉  The day pass at the Hilton is nice  ..... not cheap but it's a great place to hang for the day  .... includes lunch.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

You can try a taxi service...I used Torea Nui Transport to get to the Hilton and it was very reasonable. https://toreanui.com/

Email them and they can give you a quote. Our cost was $40USD roundtrip for two to the Hilton which was a 20 minute drive from the ship. You need to know what dock you will tender to. If you tender in Cooks Bay the Lagoonarium is also about 20 min drive. If you tender from Opunohu it's about 25+ min.

There's also Alberts https://albert-transport.net/

Torea Nui Transport was very timely. A driver was waiting for us when we got off the ship. We gave him a time we wanted to be picked up again and he was prompt. Both companies are very used to requests to visit the Lagoonarium. Both also do island tours and snorkeling trips....you might consider doing a combination?

Renting a car by comparison was really reasonable- $80 for the day booking in advance. You get to circle that beautiful island. Also have a yummy seafood lunch at Snack Mahana!

🙂

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1

We will be in Papeete on Jan. 15 and are planning a tour to snorkel in Moorea with "Voila Moorea".  We will need to get the 6:40am ferry and return on the 2:45pm ferry.  The ship leaves at 6pm.  Does this sound reasonable?  If you have done a tour with this company, could you please give us your opinion?

Thanks

On 10/20/2019 at 10:11 AM, Islandbc said:

We will be in Papeete on Jan. 15 and are planning a tour to snorkel in Moorea with "Voila Moorea".  We will need to get the 6:40am ferry and return on the 2:45pm ferry.  The ship leaves at 6pm.  Does this sound reasonable?  If you have done a tour with this company, could you please give us your opinion?

Thanks

Busiest ferries are early morning and late afternoon. The locals go to and from work but at 6:40 am it's mostly going Moorea to PPT and the opposite for the 2:45 pm ferry. Your probably OK ......