Check my math? 4 perks purchase looks like a bad deal

SempreMare

The most I'd pay for a Sky Suite would be about $7K, and that's really stretching it.  There is no way in any universe that it's worth the prices you're quoting.  I've stayed in Neptune Suites as well.  Celebrity's product overall is nice but it's not THAT nice.  They do include additional perks that HAL doesn't, but the value of those perks is not worth what they're charging.

21 hours ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

I might be in the minority here, but I base my calculations on the value I perceive it to be rather than the actual dollar amount.  Examples:

We do not need internet for 2.  DH is the only one who uses the internet while on vacation and not everyday so we usually would not purchase it.

We certainly can not drink the value of the beverage package.  Too much alcohol for us and most days you are in port and not on the ship anyways.

Even if you do save a little as opposed to the face value of the perks, it's usually not a good value for us.  We usually figure the OBC and gratuity amount first.  Gratuities we are going to pay regardless.  We purchase excursions so the OBC will cover that.  If the cost for 2 perks is less than those, we will usually go with the perks.  For four perks, we calculate the remainder after OBC and gratuities and see if we will drink that amount based on our normal consumption of alcohol, water, coffee etc.  If not, we will not go with the perks.  If we think we will drink more or come out even, we will go with the perks.  

I am with you on this. On our recent Equinox cruise we had one perk... we chose gratuities... since that is essentially a fixed cost. We are Elite... and don't generally drink soft drinks of specialty coffee (at least not on a regular basis), we did not purchase drink package. We did have $400 in OBC which we used for a few specialty restaurants and a few excursions. Late each afternoon we headed to Martini or Passport bar for a drink late in the day... then headed to Captains Cocktail hour(s). We did, periodically, have a few glasses of wine at dinner. Our total spending on liquor on the 11 day sailing was $318.... which is pretty typical for us... and the reason we have not paid more for this perk. Also, we started cruising decades ago... in part... to GET AWAY FROM THE OFFICE.... so internet was never on my list of must haves... the 90min Elite benefit... is just enough to check emails...(prefer this to 24 hour continuous benefit on Royal). I generally prefer having a lower price upfront..and pay as you go. Now if the additional cost for the 'free' perks... is less than my estimated expenses... I might consider essentially prepaying this.... but not a year or so in advance. As a side note the Elite one bag of laundry was helpful... used this to help minimize laundry on my return home. My fear with getting a drink package... is my inclination to get my money's worth.... and that would likely mean a lot of headaches and extra lbs. This past trip I only gained one pound... alas still not at my ideal weight... but at least not any worse than before the trip. 🙂 Drink package as a perk is definately better than purchasing one.

48 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

Hey, don't be sorry!  Everyone has their own perspective.   

You said it almost correctly: 

Because I am spending nearly $2k / day, laundry should be complimentary.

I agree fully. BUT, deal breaker? Doesn't add up.

Just now, wpgcycler said:

I agree fully. BUT, deal breaker? Doesn't add up.

It could not add up... for you.   

3 aspects:

1) On my first cruise in August as an adult,  having complimentary and careful laundry service anytime I wanted was a huge delighter.  I felt pampered and  more... care-free.  It helped create the best zen

An insight that Marketing and User Experience professionals know well: 

When someone starts talking about how a product, policy, or experience makes them feel, that is your clue #1 that the decision making has transcended cost and data.

2) You speak in binary terms. There seem to be lots of other cruise lines to consider ; choices with maybe fewer friction points and similar room features at $3k less. 

(I say 'maybe' because I'm too new to cruising to know for sure.   I just know there's no HAL ship doing same itinerary in that specific time frame, so I needed to look elsewhere when I originally booked. 

With limited time to research, the Apex looked beautiful and the exact time was right. ) 

3) I would never have started looking seriously at other options beyond the Apex cruise had I not realized laundry was not complimentary, despite paying $12k for a sky suite.   

To me that is Celebrity saying,  "you aren't paying us enough for this benefit" whereas I feel I am.  

It makes me wonder, "where else will I have unexpected surprises like that" . i.e.

if Celebrity created that policy, what else won't I like in similar spirit? 

The final payment date is next year. Plenty of time to reschedule on a different cruise line.

---------

** Also there are 2 things with a big 'feeling' and experience impact: 

no complimentary Laundry and no loungers on Edge Sky Suites balconies. 

But I've read that the no-lounger situation might be corrected

I got a good deal on a 14 day Southeast Asia cruise in January so we are going to be giving Celebrity another try.

That said, I know Silversea and Oceania both offer complimentary self serve laundry service and complimentary internet. At your price point these may be decent options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Yes - I'm actually considering rebooking on a different line, though I'd love to explore the Apex: 

1 reason:  No complimentary laundry for Sky Suites.

After paying that much, and after seeing at the per-piece Laundry prices on Celebrity,  ...it might become straw... camel... back.

On my first cruise with HAL to Alaska in a Neptune Suite, their complimentary laundry services was amazing.  Each item came back perfectly folded and tissue wrapped with a personal note.    In a Neptune suite $5k less than a Sky Suite.

Are there any packages to buy that include Laundry?

image.png.0c2838a47125579cfa26cf25f9d9278f.png

1 hour ago, SempreMare said:

Hey, don't be sorry!  Everyone has their own perspective.   

You said it almost correctly: 

Because I am spending nearly $2k / day, laundry should be complimentary.

Complimentary laundry?  Nah!  But my thanks since I am a stockholder and appreciate anyone contributing that much to the bottom line.  Consider that we recently cruised on Seabourn for about $400 per person/day which included everything...except laundry :).  Even Regent costs about $1000 per person day, but that really everything...even excursions and business class air.  So the real question here would be why on earth anyone would spend nearly 2k a day (we assume that is per couple) to simply cruise on a mass market line in a relatively small suite.

Hank

Celebrity has lost the game in its prices for Suites.    We have been booking Azamara and Seabourn with a lot of perks included (gratuities, beverages, specialties or very good food).  Unfortunately the internet is not usually included for either line although they do have promotions that include the internet.    The self service laundry is included but if you book a suite you do get one free laundry each week.   On Azamara you also get one free laundry per week if you are “Elite +”.   The laundry is either folded or on hangers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mdpa said:

That said, I know Silversea and Oceania both offer complimentary self serve laundry service and complimentary internet. At your price point these may be decent options.

Thank you!  I have looked at Silversea but not Oceania.  I crossed Oceania off my list of options based on solo travelers' trip report about Oceania policies with solos.    I'm very interested in Regent.  This year I socialized with a bunch of Australian Regent cruisers in the Langham, Hong Kong,  club lounge each evening for 4 days or so.  Australians have the best sense of humor. 

They told me how awesome Regent was,  and I checked both Regent and Viking for this week but neither are sailing from London.

4 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Celebrity has lost the game in its prices for Suites.    We have been booking Azamara and Seabourn with a lot of perks included (gratuities, beverages, specialties or very good food).  Unfortunately the internet is not usually included for either line although they do have promotions that include the internet.    The self service laundry is included but if you book a suite you do get one free laundry each week. 

Good to know, @Covepointcruiser.  I did try to book in Azamara for 1 cruise early next year, but YC was full.  

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Consider that we recently cruised on Seabourn for about $400 per person/day which included everything...except laundry :).  Even Regent costs about $1000 per person day, but that really everything...even excursions and business class air. 

Hi Hank, Neither of those are available in that week or even the next week (if I decided to stay an extra week and spend 1 week of hotel $ to save cruise $)

If cruisetimetables.com is correct, my only other choices in the specific week where I am: 

• already there in London (no flight cost) 
  • available to travel for a week vacation 

have less interesting itineraries (already visited many of the ports), except for a cruise line called "Cruise & Maritime Voyages".   I don't know anything about them.   Do you?

My alternatives for that week are: 
- Don't vacation.  Return home / back to work early.
- Make that week totally a DIY land vacation.   I've already done that a bunch of times when already there for work in England, Scotland, Ireland.  Still lots of new places to see though.

My next opportunity for vacation is already filled, so I can't move it to a different time.  It would just be skipping that vacation slot next year.

Hi @ wpgcycler, 

If you feel the need to snipe like an adolescent instead of discuss, at least demonstrate superior reading comprehension skills when you snipe.  

Can you process why your snipe is counter to my objection? 

On 10/10/2019 at 2:01 PM, 2flacruisers said:

In addition, we don't book suites...as I have looked, the suites get all the perks included.

We usually sail in Suites now, and they do not always come with the four perks included.  Sometimes yes but sometimes no.  Just clarifying so people are not misled.  This is a topic that comes up alot and some assume that suites always do.  We've had a few cruises in Suites where the perks were not included, but you could add them at an additional cost but for us it made better sense to take the discounted fare without anything.

Royal Suites and above come with specialty dining, premium package and internet but this is entirely different from the 4 perks package.  Celebrity likes to confuse you.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Unlimited free laundry returned pressed on hangers same day is my favorite perk.  Celebrity offers it to zenith.  As elite plus, I get 2 free bags of laundry per cruise. Nice, but it is still limited and is not pressed. 

That is a terrific perk.  Like you we only get the bags.   Well, I am still pretty happy even with the bag-o-laundry. 

Interesting that you are so excited about the free laundry on HAL Neptune suites, but they don't offer any drinks, Internet or dedicated restaurants in their Suite package. I think most every other line offers so much more! And Celebrity has simply decided to reward loyalty with free laundry. Seriously, 7 day cruises should not require much laundry use anyway, unless you're not bringing any luggage.

16 hours ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

We usually sail in Suites now, and they do not always come with the four perks included.  Sometimes yes but sometimes no.  Just clarifying so people are not misled.  This is a topic that comes up alot and some assume that suites always do.  We've had a few cruises in Suites where the perks were not included, but you could add them at an additional cost but for us it made better sense to take the discounted fare without anything.

Royal Suites and above come with specialty dining, premium package and internet but this is entirely different from the 4 perks package.  Celebrity likes to confuse you.  

Yes, they do!

19 hours ago, ldubs said:

That is a terrific perk.  Like you we only get the bags.   Well, I am still pretty happy even with the bag-o-laundry. 

The perk works great for us..We send out a full bag of whites..socks undies, etc    And some dark clothes we think will survive the very hot water temp...

Nice to pack mostly clean clothes..We re-wash  it all at home but  the suitcases  smell better! 

Edited by hcat