12 days in Italy

waterbug123

50 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

5 pair of shoes???   Can one pair be multi-purpose?  Just me...

Oh, I'm back today from my camping adventure.  I took the 3 pairs of pants and 2 pairs of leggings.  I didn't wear the jeans - there was no need to "dress up" for any of my dinners - leggings or hiking pants were just fine in Monument Valley at the hotel.  I ended up with one extra shirt, too - my white T-shirt that I had taken to go with the jeans.  I also use that shirt for work under a jacket, so I didn't want to wear it camping and possibly get it yucked up.   I did buy 3 T-shirts during the trip (one 100th Anniversary shirt from Zion, one T-shirt from Bryce Canyon NP and a long sleeve from Zion just because) and a nice turquoise necklace from a woman in Monument Valley and was able to put all of this in my Sherpani Oslo backpack.  

My tie-dye hiking  boots did GREAT!  They shed all the dirt that was put on them.  The only place I didn't wear them was at my campsite at Zion National Park.  They had red clay dirt as the base for the sites.  I was wearing my Keen Voyageurs (the same ones I had on when I fell in the creek) when I was setting up my camp.  There were totally covered with red clay after just 20 minutes.  I decided not to chance my beautiful boots, so I kept them in the car and changed into them when I was going out and about.    

Remember to have "un etto" of pizza from Bonci for me!!!  And a quarto or two of wine!!!   Have a ton of fun!!!

P.S.  I DID trip and fall once, but just in the dirt, not in a creek this time 😉

Well as I said, it's supposed to rain all week so I dare not bring just one pair of sturdy walking shoes. I could leave either the loafers or the camo sneakers home....  They are both just so perfect for Rome. :classic_cool:

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Well as I said, it's supposed to rain all week so I dare not bring just one pair of sturdy walking shoes. I could leave either the loafers or the camo sneakers home....  They are both just so perfect for Rome. :classic_cool:

You need my boots - Goretex and water tight...  They'd be a good fashion statement in Rome!!!

I'm getting ready to leave tomorrow evening for Rome. Just finished re-waterproofing my two pairs of walking shoes and my rain jacket.  :classic_huh:  Actually, while it looks bad the first two days, it has slightly improved to only 20% chance of rain on Wednesday and 40% on Thursday and Friday.  🤜🤛

• Like 3

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Do you have room in your bags to stuff a person ??? 😉

Have a wonderful time in Rome!  

LOL......lets all go:classic_biggrin:

Cynthia, have a great time...….at least you won't be flooded like the folks in Venice right now:classic_sad:

53 minutes ago, Lois R said:

LOL......lets all go:classic_biggrin:

Cynthia, have a great time...….at least you won't be flooded like the folks in Venice right now:classic_sad:

The more the merrier!

Lois, it's not quite like Venice, true, but people in Rome are getting stranded in their cars in flooded tunnels on the roads. :classic_ohmy:

Hey Cynthia, are you home yet?...oh...probably not...you said you would be away

12 days.....hope you are having a wonderful trip. Please let us know when you get

back.

I think I got the days wrong..looking at the original post...she was leaving back in OCT for 12 days.

I don't know long Cynthia's trip is...…hope she checks in and this is a bit off topic but I know a few of you

on here..asking for positive thoughts----I was diagnosed with a very, very small malignancy after my last

mammogram and am having surgery on Wednesday. Thankfully it is the very early stage---Doc said stage 0

but it does need to be removed. So if all of you could put it a good word for me......I would really appreciate

it. The Dr is quite sure everything will be ok but still...…..it was a shock for sure.

Thanks..……...

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 5:39 PM, Lois R said:

I think I got the days wrong..looking at the original post...she was leaving back in OCT for 12 days.

I don't know long Cynthia's trip is...…hope she checks in and this is a bit off topic but I know a few of you

on here..asking for positive thoughts----I was diagnosed with a very, very small malignancy after my last

mammogram and am having surgery on Wednesday. Thankfully it is the very early stage---Doc said stage 0

but it does need to be removed. So if all of you could put it a good word for me......I would really appreciate

it. The Dr is quite sure everything will be ok but still...…..it was a shock for sure.

Thanks..……...

I just saw your post Lois.  I know your surgery was yesterday, sending good thoughts your way for a quick & easy recovery.  Good that it was caught so early, but like you said, a shock for sure. 

Hi girls, surgery was actually this morning----ALL GOOD:classic_biggrin:Dr said it was what he thought----very, very, very small and got it!

And  no other cancer cells anywhere....this was done outpatient too......modern technology!......

Thank you all for the prayers and good wishes!

Had 2 friends at work help......one took me this morning and the other picked me up....got home

about 3:00.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls, surgery was actually this morning----ALL GOOD:classic_biggrin:Dr said it was what he thought----very, very, very small and got it!

And  no other cancer cells anywhere....this was done outpatient too......modern technology!......

Had 2 friends at work help......one took me this morning and the other picked me up....got home

What good news :)  & a very Happy Thanksgiving to you 

2 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

What good news :)  & a very Happy Thanksgiving to you 

Thank you so much.   What a strange holiday this year.  Thankful it was not worse for sure.....

I have no family here---so spending the day watching tv and putting an ice pack on and off

every 30-40 minutes.....per instructions.  No holiday dinner.  But I know they got it early so

my January cruise is still in place.

• Like 2

Hi Lois and all -- I am just back from my trip a few hours ago. Lois, I am so relieved and happy to hear that all is well with you. A happy Thanksgiving indeed.

I will post more later about my trip and how well my packing strategies held up, but for now I am just too tired!

• Like 2

Ok -- the hits and misses:

Hits: 

• Glad I brought 2 pair of sturdy walking shoes. There were a couple of very wet days and it was good to let one pair dry the next day and still have something I could walk comfortably in.
  • The three Nik & Zoe cardigans, with a lightweight black t-shirt underneath were a winning combo. The weather in Rome was warm-ish and inside buildings it could get hot (with the relentless heat on) so it was good to be able to layer. I tossed a lightweight scarf in my purse so that if I took off the sweater I could put on a scarf and not look completely monochromatic.
  • The ponte knit pants in black and gray were work-horses. Did not bag even though I wore each pair several times.
  • Loved my Mandarina Duck cross-body bag. I wish I could find another one just like it. It's a little dressier and more "city" looking than my Kipling crossbody. Best feature -- it has little flaps that cover the zippers, which is an area where rain often gets into a bag.  This is a link to the newer version, which is a little sportier looking (I prefer the nylon fabric in mine):  http://www.mandarinaduck.com/en-LT/md20-cross-body-bag/p/QMTX6

Misses:

• I didn't really feel like I had the "right" jacket. The super light tech-fabric rain jacket was a bit shorter than I wanted most days and just looked too much like "I'm on an adventure trip."  The heavier all-purpose black 3/4 coat that I got to replace my favorite jacket from previous year was a bit heavier than I really wanted, and not as rain-proof.  I really only wore it at night, going to dinner, when it was cooler.
  • Yes, slidergirl, I didn't need all those shoes. One pair never left the hotel room.
  • I tossed in a pair of lightweight tech-fabric (quick drying) black cropped pants just in case it was a) warm or b) a really rainy day where I knew that whatever I was wearing would get soaked. I didn't need them, but probably would do the same again, just in case....

What people in Rome were wearing:

• Every conceivable variety of the packable down jacket, vest, parka, you name it.
  • Lots of Italian women going to work or coming home at night were wearing wide cropped pants with oxfords or booties.
  • Lots of the booties I saw had a bit of an edge to them, with studs, zippers, even spikes.
  • Trendy tourists (women) were sporting light-colored sneakers and lots of high-end/styled athletic wear, e.g., like the Eileen Fisher cuffed pants with velvet stripe that I wore on the plane.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

inside buildings it could get hot (with the relentless heat on) so it was good to be able to layer.

• Every conceivable variety of the packable down jacket, vest, parka, you name it.

This is what I observed in central Europe in October as well.

While we are used to recommending "layering" for chill or unpredictable weather, in Europe (including European Russia), it seems they wear "normal" daytime or even evening wear with one big and/or warm jacket or coat to put over it on going outside. Our tour guide was an example of this. They keep the interiors quite warm! R.E.I. type layering will of course work, but when you peel indoors, you may end up with multiple items to corral.

Amusingly, this is my Southern California born-and-raised husband's concept of layering!

As far as the packable puffer topper, they were dominant (although not what our guide had, hers was wide-baffled) -- of course, when my winter coat is thick Berber and my new layer-able vest is micro-fleece. NATURALLY!

21 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Hits: 

• Glad I brought 2 pair of sturdy walking shoes. There were a couple of very wet days and it was good to let one pair dry the next day and still have something I could walk comfortably in.
  • The three Nik & Zoe cardigans, with a lightweight black t-shirt underneath were a winning combo. The weather in Rome was warm-ish and inside buildings it could get hot (with the relentless heat on) so it was good to be able to layer. I tossed a lightweight scarf in my purse so that if I took off the sweater I could put on a scarf and not look completely monochromatic.
  • The ponte knit pants in black and gray were work-horses. Did not bag even though I wore each pair several times.
  • Loved my Mandarina Duck cross-body bag. I wish I could find another one just like it. It's a little dressier and more "city" looking than my Kipling crossbody. Best feature -- it has little flaps that cover the zippers, which is an area where rain often gets into a bag.  This is a link to the newer version, which is a little sportier looking (I prefer the nylon fabric in mine):  http://www.mandarinaduck.com/en-LT/md20-cross-body-bag/p/QMTX6

Misses:

• I didn't really feel like I had the "right" jacket. The super light tech-fabric rain jacket was a bit shorter than I wanted most days and just looked too much like "I'm on an adventure trip."  The heavier all-purpose black 3/4 coat that I got to replace my favorite jacket from previous year was a bit heavier than I really wanted, and not as rain-proof.  I really only wore it at night, going to dinner, when it was cooler.
  • Yes, slidergirl, I didn't need all those shoes. One pair never left the hotel room.
  • I tossed in a pair of lightweight tech-fabric (quick drying) black cropped pants just in case it was a) warm or b) a really rainy day where I knew that whatever I was wearing would get soaked. I didn't need them, but probably would do the same again, just in case....

• Lots of Italian women going to work or coming home at night were wearing wide cropped pants with oxfords or booties.
  • Lots of the booties I saw had a bit of an edge to them, with studs, zippers, even spikes.
  • Trendy tourists (women) were sporting light-colored sneakers and lots of high-end/styled athletic wear, e.g., like the Eileen Fisher cuffed pants with velvet stripe that I wore on the plane.

I got a chuckle out of that...

Well, if I get back to Rome, I have plenty of down products in my closet to choose from to take!

For those sneakers, were they Superga???   

When I watch The Real Housewives of <wherever> and they go on their trips, they are in that stylish athletic wear.  A good reason for me to never do that... 😉

Good to know most of your packing was spot on.   Like you, I tossed in another pair of pants for my trip and I never wore them.  

Oh - Sherpani is having a BOGO right now - I bought a Camden and a Paige (will go with my Tempest as the small purse when I travel) as my BOGO and I also bought a Skye in the Flash Sale section to go with the Camden and my Dispatch as the small purse.  Can never pass up a Sherpani sale!!!

Edited by slidergirl

On 11/29/2019 at 12:29 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Hits: 

Misses:

Thank you, especially for the "On the ground" style report :)    I feel that in the last few years, most people from relatively large cosmopolitan cities tend to dress in a similar way, excepting of course, climate differentials...  it seems like a big change from 10 to 15 years ago, there was a very distinct "Rome" style, "Paris" style, "Barcelona", & so on....  Nowadays it seems that what I see on the streets of L.A. isn't that different from what I see in London.    

Hope you had a fantastic trip & happy Thanksgiving ;)

On 11/27/2019 at 7:03 PM, Lois R said:

So glad this was so positive!  😊😊

8 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Thank you, especially for the "On the ground" style report 🙂    I feel that in the last few years, most people from relatively large cosmopolitan cities tend to dress in a similar way, excepting of course, climate differentials...  it seems like a big change from 10 to 15 years ago, there was a very distinct "Rome" style, "Paris" style, "Barcelona", & so on....  Nowadays it seems that what I see on the streets of L.A. isn't that different from what I see in London.    

I agree -- with the coming of the internet and social media, trends seem to spread much faster and more universally, although I do recall seeing the down jackets starting to appear a couple of years in Europe before they caught on here as much. 

I forgot to mention that I saw lots and lots of the "faux fur" and "fuzzy" jackets in shop windows in Rome. A few on the streets. I wonder if it will be the next outerwear trend?  I hope not -- to me, they look like something best worn by kids under the age of 15!