Bora Bora beach for P.m. after 1/2 day snorkel?

debsjc

Could anyone recommend some beaches (hopefully public) where we could spend the afternoon, after doing a morning snorkel excursion? A beach that's isn't too far away from the pier, and has snorkelling would be ideal. I would love to snorkel all day, but my mum doesn't snorkel, so this is a compromise! 

Thanks 

2 hours ago, debsjc said:

Could anyone recommend some beaches (hopefully public) where we could spend the afternoon, after doing a morning snorkel excursion? A beach that's isn't too far away from the pier, and has snorkelling would be ideal. I would love to snorkel all day, but my mum doesn't snorkel, so this is a compromise! 

Thanks 

Matira Beach is the only public beach that is easily accessible. Normally there is a $5 bus to and from the beach area. Some shade areas and there are several eateries available within walking distance. 

If your on a large ship it could get a bit busy but it's a long stretch of beach, just start walking to find a place that isn't crammed with people. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, debsjc said:

Thanks very much. We have actually booked a rental car for day 2 now, so we should be able to spend some time here, and drive around the rest of the island as well.

The beach goes all the way to the other point you see in the distance, probably 1/2 mile long.

There is a parking area 😉

beach).jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 1

Thanks I appreciate all your help. I have been studying maps, and reading everything I can find on that beach.

Can I just check with you is it just the west side of the peninsular we can access? (I think the other side is the Intercontinental)

I know you mentioned the point, can we walk right down to that, along the beach? Also I read that the snorkelling is quite good under the water bungalows of the closed Bora Bora hotel, up at the north end of the beach near the diving centre..... have you been to that end of the beach at all?

Sorry for so many questions! I would ideally spend 2 days on the lagoon snorkelling, but mum doesn't snorkel. I'm hoping I can see some underwater life whilst she sits on the beach, even though I know it won't be nearly as good as out in the lagoon. 

2 hours ago, debsjc said:

Thanks I appreciate all your help. I have been studying maps, and reading everything I can find on that beach.

Can I just check with you is it just the west side of the peninsular we can access? (I think the other side is the Intercontinental)

I know you mentioned the point, can we walk right down to that, along the beach? Also I read that the snorkelling is quite good under the water bungalows of the closed Bora Bora hotel, up at the north end of the beach near the diving centre..... have you been to that end of the beach at all?

Sorry for so many questions! I would ideally spend 2 days on the lagoon snorkelling, but mum doesn't snorkel. I'm hoping I can see some underwater life whilst she sits on the beach, even though I know it won't be nearly as good as out in the lagoon. 

The bus will drop you off at a covered patio / park area, it is right across the street from the IC Le Moana. Walk through the covered area to the beach and head to the right. Yes you can walk all the way to the old Hotel Bora Bora. As long as you stay on the beach or drag one foot in the water as you work your self close to the old hotel you are fine. Yes the snorkeling is pretty darn good under some of the old OWB's. Just don't walk up on the property. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

The bus will drop you off at a covered patio / park area, it is right across the street from the IC Le Moana. Walk through the covered area to the beach and head to the right. Yes you can walk all the way to the old Hotel Bora Bora. As long as you stay on the beach or drag one foot in the water as you work your self close to the old hotel you are fine. Yes the snorkeling is pretty darn good under some of the old OWB's. Just don't walk up on the property. 

Thanks for all your help, appreciate it 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fletcher said:

The OWBs at the Hotel Bora Bora have all been removed.  I stayed a few times there back in the 1980s.   It was truly wonderful and you could snorkel with mantas straight off from your deck.

Thanks for the info, that explains why I couldn't see them on the google maps satellite photo. I'm sure there half-decent snorkelling somewhere along that stretch of beach, maybe there is still some coral near were the bungalows were.

4 hours ago, debsjc said:

Thanks for the info, that explains why I couldn't see them on the google maps satellite photo. I'm sure there half-decent snorkelling somewhere along that stretch of beach, maybe there is still some coral near were the bungalows were.

They've had the place fenced off from the road so I haven't been there for a few years and it was several years ago that we walked all the way done form the beach. But it does appear there are a few structures still in the water like a pier, walk area .... might be some good snorkeling there.

• Like 1