How dirty is your cabin's bathroom floor? Share your pics here

CineGraphic

2 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

some even small enough to be hand-held

"Hand-held" means that somebody is getting down on their hands and knees to work their way through all the grout. Even at 5 minutes per cabin, (which I highly doubt), that is 6,000 labor-minutes (100 hours) for a ship with 1,200 cabins.  Even if the ship had 20 such machines and divided up the work, that would be 5 hours per person.  When do you suppose the crew is going to find those 5 hours when passengers disembark at 9:30 and the next wave arrives at noon?

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

"Hand-held" means that somebody is getting down on their hands and knees to work their way through all the grout. Even at 5 minutes per cabin, (which I highly doubt), that is 6,000 labor-minutes (100 hours) for a ship with 1,200 cabins.  Even if the ship had 20 such machines and divided up the work, that would be 5 hours per person.  When do you suppose the crew is going to find those 5 hours when passengers disembark at 9:30 and the next wave arrives at noon?

Who said anything about having it done between every cruise? I'd be happy with once a year.

11 hours ago, suzyed said:

I never said a thing about the grout.  Honestly I don't care whether you wash your hands, or worry about what you touch and since it now seems most people don't care, I will continue doing what I do.  To each his/her own.

I think we all care about people washing their hands, but I realize many don't.  Hand washing is not the same thing as overuse of antibacterial cleansers.

• Like 1

Actually, I've seen more bad things on a cruise ship than a dirty bathroom floor.  I don't think I would catch noro-virus from a dirty bathroom floor, but I probably would if I didn't know the bad things about the Lido buffet.  I might get into trouble posting pictures of people licking their fingers while eating then touching serving spoons.  I wear socks around the cabin until I go to bed.

My entire life I have walked around outside with bare feet. I've walked in the dirt. I've walked on the street. When I was younger I walked on the sidewalk. (Heck, I couldn't afford sandals.) I have never (at least as far as I can tell) contracted a deadly disease or even a mildly nasty "ickiness" from the germs that the soles of my feet encountered. Do I wear sandals in a public shower such as at a campground? Yes. I don't want athlete's foot. Do I obsess over walking on the carpet in a hotel room or a ship cabin? Nope. I too freaking lazy to always have something on my feet. My absolute all time favorite shoes are: no shoes at all.

These days I do wear sandals in the summer. It's because my feet are now "wuss feet" as opposed to when I was younger and could walk down the asphalt street barefoot. These days the streets feel hot! I do still go out to the mailbox barefoot unless it's something like 110 degrees Fahrenheit outside. (Okay, maybe even just 100 degrees but not always even then.)

I just refuse to worry about all of these things. I'm going to die. I know that for certain. I refuse to spend what time I have left obsessing over this kind of stuff. I admit that I do use the bath mat on the bathroom floor when I shower but it's mostly to contain the water rather than a phobia about germs.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 9

Oof.  This is possibly one of the most Cruise Critic-y threads on Cruise Critic I've seen to date.  Y'all have fun wiping the grout on your bathroom floors and spraying / wiping your cabin to death with Clorox.

I'll be out on the pool deck having a fruity adult beverage.  Might even walk (gasp) barefoot on deck.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jangor said:

Have you asked Princess for info re their floor cleaning schedule?  Most of us know that it will not take long for old grout to be quickly discolored.

Princess had 6+ weeks to review the pics. The only thing they told me is that management would look at them. They would not tell me if they were going to do anything about it. They also suggested that I complain on board. I prefer for basic cleaning to be done on an as-need basis, not on a complaint driven basis.

I'm somewhat befuddled that people can kvetch about an expired coffee card program, or change of itinerary, even though the terms clearly state Princess can do so, but kvetching about a dirty floor is considered ludicrous.

• Haha 1

I think it's simply that everyone has, and is entitled to, their own beliefs, phobias, concerns, and priorities.

Looking at your photos I cannot dispute that the grout is not 100% clinically "clean". It's just not of concern to me because I don't believe that it represents any sort of health hazard to me or most average people.

Nor is it something that "grosses me out". But I have my own limits, roaches, someone else's hair, nail clippings, dirty toilet from the previous cruiser - these things would have me visiting the front desk.

• Like 2

I found our room on Princess to be very superior to most hotels we have stayed at.

I tend to worry about what is in the bedding and on the bathroom fixtures due to the fact that we have checked over hotel rooms in the past where there has been suspect hairs in the sink and on the toilet seat, soap scum near the drain in the bath tub, apparently dried blood on the sheets and pillow cases, and more.  Probably what we get for staying in major metropolitan area hotels near downtown or airport areas.

I do not blame anyone for being concerned about what they may come across when entering the room where you are going to stay anywhere.

I do not really consider myself a germaphobe per se, but I am a frequent hand washer and do protect my feet as athlete foot is miserable having caught it 20 years ago from a hotel room bathroom floor.

Please forgive me, but I’m going to rant for a moment.  Feel free to skip this post in its entirety if such things bother you.

[rant on]

I’m in an incredibly nice cabin, bobbing around somewhere in the Caribbean.  By virtue of that alone, I’m one of the luckiest people on Planet Earth.  I won the cosmic lottery. 

While millions of people are struggling to just get by, I’m so stupendously lucky to be on a ship, overfed and having every one of my needs taken care of in spades.

The people working around me work their asses off.  Many; 12 hours a day for 5-6 month contracts with hardly any time off.  They manage to do this with a smile and for a lot of them this work schedule is a step-up from their opportunities at home.

Before you break out your white gloves and q-tips to place your surroundings under a Drill Instructor’s examination — maybe just step back, take a deep breath, and ruminate for a couple of minutes on how absolutely fortunate you are to even be that tacky.

[rant off]

Edited by mk-ultra
  • Like 10

13 minutes ago, mk-ultra said:

Please forgive me, but I’m going to rant for a moment.  Feel free to skip this post in its entirety if such things bother you.

[rant on]

I’m in an incredibly nice cabin, bobbing around somewhere in the Caribbean.  By virtue of that alone, I’m one of the luckiest people on Planet Earth.  I won the cosmic lottery. 

While millions of people are struggling to just get by, I’m so stupendously lucky to be on a ship, overfed and having every one of my needs taken care of in spades.

The people working around me work their asses off.  Many; 12 hours a day for 5-6 month contracts with hardly any time off.  They manage to do this with a smile and for a lot of them this work schedule is a step-up from their opportunities at home.

Before you break out your white gloves and q-tips to place your surroundings under a Drill Instructor’s examination — maybe just step back, take a deep breath, and ruminate for a couple of minutes on how absolutely lucky you are to even be that tacky.

[rant off]

Our first world problems are indeed monumental!  Chair hogs, dress code offenders, discolored grout - how we we ever survive?

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, mk-ultra said:

Before you break out your white gloves and q-tips to place your surroundings under a Drill Instructor’s examination — maybe just step back, take a deep breath, and ruminate for a couple of minutes on how absolutely fortunate you are to even be that tacky.

I know exactly where you are coming from, and if you read my review of the cruise, (link below), we tend to let things slide.

I didn't include any mention of the condition of the tile floor in my review, because I wanted Princess to have the chance to address what I consider to be unhygienic.  Is concern for one's health and well being really a first world problem? If so, forgive my ignorance. I too work my ass off, with many 18-21 hour days, so when spend my good money to escape twice a year, I do my best to do nothing but enjoy myself. Should I lower my standards because someone is overworked?

Should I lower my standards because they don't have the time? These are the arguments presented to me so far.

Here's my review of the entire cruise: https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=663102

And then look at all of the negative reviews for the same cruise: https://www.cruisecritic.com/caribbean-princess-ship-canada-cruises/rs/?page=2

I didn't spend any time in search of nasty things, I was in the bathroom anyway, and just happened to look down at the floor instead staring at myself sitting on the john in the mirror. Neither one was a pretty sight.

1 hour ago, c-boy said:

😄  that's probably why your teeth are turning yellow and your hair is falling out.

Hmmm... Have we met or are you just "generically" bashing me or simply "making a funny"? (Text is such a poor communication media.)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Hmmm... Have we met or are you just "generically" bashing me or simply "making a funny"? (Text is such a poor communication media.)

awww just razzin ya, while trying to stave off my reply to the o p 😊

3 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

I think it's simply that everyone has, and is entitled to, their own beliefs, phobias, concerns, and priorities.

Looking at your photos I cannot dispute that the grout is not 100% clinically "clean". It's just not of concern to me because I don't believe that it represents any sort of health hazard to me or most average people.

Nor is it something that "grosses me out". But I have my own limits, roaches, someone else's hair, nail clippings, dirty toilet from the previous cruiser - these things would have me visiting the front desk.

I had a used bar of soap in the shower on our last cruise.  Yuck

34 minutes ago, c-boy said:

awww just razzin ya, while trying to stave off my reply to the o p 😊

Hah! As I thought. Giving some poor old man a hard time. 😋 Trust me, I'm sure I deserve it. I am pretty "razzable" but, as I said, text is a poor medium for communication. (I've witnessed a couple of pretty major meltdowns and conflicts due to someone  mis-interpreting a typed message. One such exchange went to HR for mediation although, to most, it was obviously benign. GAH!) Maybe we will meet up on a cruise one day and I can buy you a drink - of one kind or another depending on your preference. 😎

• Like 3