New ship

The Bullingdon Club

6 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

"... don’t touch [the design of] the Queens Room." Is that the design of QM2's Queen's Room, or the QE/QV Queen's Room?

"Simon added that passengers have given the line the greenlight to change the new ship’s theatre." Is that a change from QM2's RCT or QE/QV's RCT? They are entirely different concepts.

If the change to the theater means different from what's on the K, I'll be happy to see that. If it means different from the existing Cunarders, I think that means the new ship will have the same ridiculously small theater that the two new HAL ships have. K's theater holds no more than one third of the passengers at full capacity. You have to stake out a seat at least a half hour before a show to get ANY seat, not just claiming a good one.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:23 PM, rafinmd said:

In fact the Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam DO have a full wraparound promenade deck although it is narrow in spots.  What people are complaining about is the absence of LOUNGERS on the promenade deck.  One of HAL's featured events is a walk for cancer including over 100 people.  I've done one each on Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam and they came off without a hitch.

One matter of concern is that Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam are unable to go through the Panama Canal because their life boats hang over the side and future ships are rumored to mount the lifeboats a bit differently so that will not happen.  It remains to see how that will affect the promenade deck.

Roy

given the tight squeeze for QE &QV through the canal I would imaginer her beam will be too great plus the air draft

There is a video on Youtube taken by a passenger who walked around the entire promenade deck of the Koningsdam.  There were places where it was extremely narrow. In places it might be difficult for two people to pass. I realise that the promenade on the QE and QV is fairly narrow around the aft, but nothing like that.

Sadly this may be the new style of promenade decks. This summer and autumn I have seen several ships in Vancouver and Halifax. Many of them have their lifeboats on the deck. Some of the promenades are only partial ones, so I suppose a narrow one that does go all the way around is something to be thankful for.

25 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

There is a video on Youtube taken by a passenger who walked around the entire promenade deck of the Koningsdam.  There were places where it was extremely narrow. In places it might be difficult for two people to pass. I realise that the promenade on the QE and QV is fairly narrow around the aft, but nothing like that.

Sadly this may be the new style of promenade decks. This summer and autumn I have seen several ships in Vancouver and Halifax. Many of them have their lifeboats on the deck. Some of the promenades are only partial ones, so I suppose a narrow one that does go all the way around is something to be thankful for.

There are brand new ships with the traditional wide, walk-around promenade deck under the boats.  Unfortunately the new Cunarder won't be one of them.  Viking's and Saga's new ships still offer this traditional feature.  I think they look wonderful as well.  Especially Saga.  Just the right size too.  A much larger new build is Disney, which is also expected to continue the tradition.  It's a loss of revenue in some respects to still offer this feature, but these lines feel the tradeoff is worth it.  Unfortunately Cunard (and HAL) don't.  

eroller- i still have hopes for a propper prommenade Deck- as slim as they  might be! As the saying goes- Hope dies last!

If it took- as they state- them years to plan the new vessel- then hopefully someone came with an idea how to keep with the traditon of a prommenade deck- thats worth it´s name. LOL!

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

eroller- i still have hopes for a propper prommenade Deck- as slim as they  might be! As the saying goes- Hope dies last!

If it took- as they state- them years to plan the new vessel- then hopefully someone came with an idea how to keep with the traditon of a prommenade deck- thats worth it´s name. LOL!

Much as I'd like to see a better promenade deck on the new Cunarder, I doubt it. Look at how many Vistas there are in the Carnival corp lines. Once they bought that design, they used it over and over and over. Interiors vary, as do the slopes of the aft superstructure and maybe some extra partial decks up top, but it's the same basic ship. Sort of like housing developments in the 1950s (in the US)--why spend money on multiple designs when one design will do? HAL is building its third "Pinnacle class" ship, and now Cunard is getting one. I don't know if any of the other lines will get one, but Carnival has already spread design costs over 4 ships. 

14 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Much as I'd like to see a better promenade deck on the new Cunarder, I doubt it. Look at how many Vistas there are in the Carnival corp lines. Once they bought that design, they used it over and over and over. Interiors vary, as do the slopes of the aft superstructure and maybe some extra partial decks up top, but it's the same basic ship. Sort of like housing developments in the 1950s (in the US)--why spend money on multiple designs when one design will do? HAL is building its third "Pinnacle class" ship, and now Cunard is getting one. I don't know if any of the other lines will get one, but Carnival has already spread design costs over 4 ships. 

This is Carnival's business plan for certain.  The new LNG XL Class is being spread over 4 brands.  P&O, Carnival, Costa, and AIDA.  We have seen Vistas (HAL's and Carnival's) spread over multiple brands as well.  

The lifeboat arrangement will change on the Cunarder for more cruising flexibility, but I'm guessing the boats will just be recessed more into the superstructure but still sit on the deck.  That means the public space between them will become more narrow, especially if they plan on keeping the narrow walking space behind the boats, which I imagine they will as it's needed working space.  

5 hours ago, eroller said:

The lifeboat arrangement will change on the Cunarder for more cruising flexibility, but I'm guessing the boats will just be recessed more into the superstructure but still sit on the deck.

Certainly wont be QE2's new lifeboat "arrangement", thats for sure. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am hoping for more environmental features.  While this is unimportant today to current passengers (we have proven that out here) during the projected lifetime of the ship this will change.   We are seeing this trend on Viking and other lines.  I am reminded of the last balcony-less ships that were built after the trend toward balconies was introduced.  On the other hand passenger growth was so significant any ship sailed full no matter what.    

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

Queen Adelaide (wife of William IV) would be a good choice if she spends time in Australia.

Thought serving time in Australia had ended.  😉

Could a Cunard Voyage to Australia be now renamed as a Transportation 😉

• Haha 1

I was quite taken by suprise, when I read about an offical announcement of the name of the new Cunarder! I took as a fact that the ship would be called Queen Anne- maybe that was a red hering.

I personally still in favour for the ship to be named Queen Alexandra. Two Queen Consorts had the honor to be namesakes and godmothers  of Cunarders- Queen Mary and Queen Elisabeth, the Queen Mother.

With Queen Alexandra they would come full circle- and all the Queen Consorts of the 20th century would go into Cunard history.

I dout the ship will be called Prince Phillip, though. LOL!

• 1 year later...
Guest SilverHengroen

Sorry for bumping an old thread, I didn't think it was worth starting a whole new one at this point, but I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything further about 'Fincantieri 6274' in the recent past? Obviously not anything official, but Chinese whispers or shipyard or corporate gossip, that sort of thing? 😃

Great that you Dug up this old thread. I am curious, too- what will happen with 4th Cunarder- I am sure it will be built in the not too distant future.

I also hope the will - now that the building process is delayed - think twice, to get rid of a Cunard trade mark- the propper prommenade deck. On the first renderings it looked like there would no longer be a prommenade deck which would have been worth the name.

The " Seaside Class " of MSC ships saw a return of the wrapp around prommenade right ABOVE the life boats. With may seating optings, lounge chairs etc.

• 3 months later...

Cunard has been silent on the status of fourth ship since announcing the interior design team.  At one point they took down the ship's Twitter page @CUN4RD but put it back up.  A report to investors mentioned that 2022 ship deliveries (the original expected delivery date) would be postponed by one year.  

15 hours ago, kohl1957 said:

Just me, but I sincerely hope this Holland America Line STELLENDAM in Cunard colours winds up, well, with Holland America.  From everything that has been shown or mentioned, this seems a "Cunarder" in funnel colours only.  Frankly, I'd much rather Cunard get, "exchange," EURODAM or NIEUW AMSTERDAM instead and converted to FRANCONIA or CARMANIA.  

The same things were said about QV and QE when they were introduced.  Essentially HAL ship designs ... but as it turns out there are enough differences in decor and layout that they feel nothing like HAL ships inside.  Hopefully the same will be said of the new Cunarder.  

Having sailed on NIEUW STATENDAM, personally I think she is the best thing HAL has going for it.  In fact my cruise on her renewed my faith in HAL, which I had written off.  Great ship and sure beats EURODAM and NIEUW AMSTERDAM IMO.  She is opened up, and instead of feeling dark, closed in, and dingy, she feels open, bright, and alive.  She has many two level spaces which adds to her appeal.  I quite liked her and I'm looking forward to seeing Cunard's version of her.  

The one negative is the lack of a true promenade deck.  Unfortunately that won't be any different on the Cunard version.  

Edited by eroller