Excursion Question

Travel2?

My husband and I will be traveling on the cruise South in October of 2020. We have already pre-booked two excursions but was wondering if a hike up Torghatten was available? It is not listed as an excursion but mentioned in the itinerary (Hurtigruten website); "participate on a hike up the mountain". Any info from others with "Southbound" experience is welcome!

I’m not aware or any excursions to Torghatten but it might be if the ship has an expedition team that special excursions could be arranged.

Torghatten is located 14 km (10 miles) from Brønnøysund. Hurtigruten has a 2.5 hours stop In Brønnøysund on south bound voyage during October - so technically it should be possible to visit the mountain during the stop.

You’ll be able to see the mountain when sailing from Brønnøysund to Rørvik - however close to sunset at approximately 6 pm.

Thanks Hallasm...we will be on the Trollfjord which I believe has an onboard Expedition Team. Having a Team  was an important aspect when booking as we both wanted this extra experience. We'll definitely take advantage of any additional treks/tours offered!

Yes, MS Trollfjord has expedition team - very interesting lectures.

Sailing in October you should also have very good chances for Northern Lights from Kirkenes down to Stamsund - do you stay som extra days in a Kirkenes?

In fact, we fly out to Oslo one from year from today; quite a count down! We are planning on two nights in Kirkenes prior to boarding, don't trust arriving the day before. Maybe we'll catch a glimpse of the lights before we even board.

Which airline to Kirkenes - SAS is most reliable - Norwegian does suffer from financial problems. Days are still quite long in October  - sunrise at 7 am and sunset 5 pm - just be prepared for cold weather - in the range of 30F  - in particular if you does see the northern lights when sailing - then it will be windy as well. I did see the lights four times - 45 minutes each time when sailing - normally between 10 pm and midnight.

Edited by hallasm

We'll start looking at airfare over the next couple of months. SAS appears to be offering the most direct flights from the States as well as the best prices including Oslo to Kirkenes. Hope we're as lucky with the lights as you!

4 hours ago, hallasm said:

do you stay som extra days in a Kirkenes?

(Should I start a new thread or can it be here?)

We're  doing the NB next April and will go on from Kirkenes to some place as yet undecided.  Is there much to do/see there?

I'm SO hoping we can travel Norwegian Air.  Loved their premium service.  I believe I read that go some financial backing by using their LGW gates as collateral.  Or am I dreaming that?  I thought that was a pretty slick idea.  But I'll look at SAS.  Thanks as always.

19 minutes ago, clo said:

We're  doing the NB next April and will go on from Kirkenes to some place as yet undecided.  Is there much to do/see there?

During winter king crab safari - snowmobile, northern lights and the snow hotel - during summer I really don't know. Tiny city close to the Russian border.

From Kirkenes direct flights to Oslo, Tromsø, Varde and Alta.

23 minutes ago, clo said:

I'm SO hoping we can travel Norwegian Air

I'm honestly not a big fan of Norwegian Air Shuttle - not the most reliable airline  - make sure to have a backup plan in case of Norwegian Air.

9 hours ago, Travel2? said:

are looking at various excursions out of Kirkenes;

Once in Kirkenes check the Aurora KP index forecast - if high KP and relatively clear skies book a Northern Lights excursion - you need to get outside the city.

9 hours ago, Travel2? said:

Snowhotel isn't open yet

Obviously too early for the snowhotel  

22 hours ago, hallasm said:

I’m not aware or any excursions to Torghatten but it might be if the ship has an expedition team that special excursions could be arranged.

Torghatten is located 14 km (10 miles) from Brønnøysund. Hurtigruten has a 2.5 hours stop In Brønnøysund on south bound voyage during October - so technically it should be possible to visit the mountain during the stop.

You’ll be able to see the mountain when sailing from Brønnøysund to Rørvik - however close to sunset at approximately 6 pm.

Apparently this is something offered now since I've seen lots of photos of it over on FB. Not sure how it's advertised or when it's offered. But it's pretty cool seeing photos taken standing at the hole in the mountain!

• Like 1

The views look incredible and reviews of the hike itself point to it not being to difficult. We are looking forward to the information the expedition team members will provide; We're hoping there are additional hikes offered by the team like Torghatten!

1 hour ago, Travel2? said:

The views look incredible and reviews of the hike itself point to it not being to difficult. We are looking forward to the information the expedition team members will provide; We're hoping there are additional hikes offered by the team like Torghatten!

In 2016 On Nordnorge there were many hikes led by the team. I enjoyed them very much!

6 minutes ago, Travel2? said:

Good to know; how was information related to the team-lead hikes communicated? 

Onboard during the excursion information meeting and in daily programs. Some cost money, some are simply free hikes led by the team.

We were on MS Finnmarken this past weekend. There was a hike to Torghatten from Brønnøysund offered, and it seemed like a lot of people took it. I think it was 990 kr. Bus ride and a hike, of course. Also, once the ship left Bronnoysund, it sailed past and around Torghatten, so we had nice views from all sides.

BTW, that and Lofoten/Vesteralen the day before might be the two most beautiful days of the journey, which is saying something because every day is beautiful (except the ones when it's so overcast, you can't see!).

• Thanks 1

Thanks Bella0714 for the info; the time spent traveling through the Lofoten/Vesteralen region was one of the deciding factors for us choosing the SB trip. We'll make the best of any weather thrown at us!  Also, We'll set aside some additional $ for extra excursions offered, very excited to experience Torghatten if offered. Did you get to see the Lights?

Hallasm; thanks for the link. Are these provided in your cabin daily? They'd make great additions to my travel journal!

Travel2?: Five times; twice on the ship, three times in the Lofoten Islands (we were there for a week). We were very fortunate.  One night in Lofoten, we had clear skies and a G1 solar storm. It went on for well over four hours. Pretty spectacular. Then we had another long, beautiful show sailing out of Svolvaer towards Stamsund on the southbound then starting towards Bodo; the ship's captain turned off the forward lights so we could see them better.. The attached photo from that night, while not very good, is proof that aurora and clouds do sometimes go together. The other three aurora nights weren't as good but still enjoyable. I hope you're as fortunate.IMG_0760.CR2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2019 at 4:31 PM, clo said:

(Should I start a new thread or can it be here?)

I'm SO hoping we can travel Norwegian Air.  Loved their premium service.  I believe I read that go some financial backing by using their LGW gates as collateral.  Or am I dreaming that?  I thought that was a pretty slick idea.  But I'll look at SAS.  Thanks as always.

Just a quick update regarding Kirkenes.  We were able to book a package at the Snowhotel; transfers, 2 nights in a Gamme cabin, dogsledding, Northern Lights hunting and some meals. The Snowhotel is advertising they are open 365 days a year as well, hope to get a peek.  Hoping to have a few great days in Kirkenes prior to our SB cruise!

7 minutes ago, Travel2? said:

Snowhotel

I looked at their site and one night with two people was almost $1k!  Too rich for me.  That was for just a room and dinner and breakfast.  Norway is SO expensive.

Clo, We agree! Our trip is two years in the making with a lot of overtime hours worked, all for our "travel fund". We never take for granted these opportunities to explore. Please check out the Gamme cabins/ packages offered by the Snowhotel; maybe we are traveling at a good time of year as our price for a 2 night stay plus extras was much more manageable.