How Has Cruising Changed: Expectations vs. Luxuries?

CCAubs

4 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Speaking of purple, my go-to shoes for wearing with a suit of any color (excepting, of course a tuxedo, which calls for plain or patent leather black) are ox-blood, plain toe blucher cordovans - which my younger daughter always insisted were purple.

4 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Speaking of purple, my go-to shoes for wearing with a suit of any color (excepting, of course a tuxedo, which calls for plain or patent leather black) are ox-blood, plain toe blucher cordovans - which my younger daughter always insisted were purple.

Although I did meet you on a cruise I have no memory of what you were wearing.

49 minutes ago, cruznjan said:

I miss people dressing for dinner, and men not wearing baseball caps at the table.

I know I am not an experiened cruiser, but I find it staggering that there is a cruise out there that people dont get dressed for dinner.

Can I have the link to their website please? Asking for a friend.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, cruznjan said:

I miss people dressing for dinner, and men not wearing baseball caps at the table.

I believe that baseball caps are a no-no on all ships.I wore one to lunch a few years ago and was told to remove it.I never saw anyone entering an MDR wearing one.

5 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

I know I am not an experiened cruiser, but I find it staggering that there is a cruise out there that people dont get dressed for dinner.

Can I have the link to their website please? Asking for a friend.

Not funny. You know what I mean.

45 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Man-oh-man.  Whatever happened to wingtips.  The two tone perforated ones were the best.  😎

I think of wingtips as wear to the office with a suit.  Don't think I've seen two-toned.

29 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I believe that baseball caps are a no-no on all ships.I wore one to lunch a few years ago and was told to remove it.I never saw anyone entering an MDR wearing one.

There were plenty of people wearing them at dinner in the MDR when we cruised on Royal Caribbean.  And cut off shorts, gym shorts, tank tops, flip flops, half the people looked like they had just finished cleaning the garage.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ducklite said:

There were plenty of people wearing them at dinner in the MDR when we cruised on Royal Caribbean.  And cut off shorts, gym shorts, tank tops, flip flops, half the people looked like they had just finished cleaning the garage.

I agree that the type of clothing you described should not be in the MDR .

34 minutes ago, ducklite said:

I asked somewhere (here?) if one were adamant about dressing like that and got turned away from the MDR, would they refuse to cruise with that line again.  I don't believe I was answered.  And seeing what you wrote, as a returning cruiser, already know I won't cruise with them.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, clo said:

Nope. Way before that.

https://www.newsweek.com/when-barry-became-barack-84255

I had a nickname until I moved to San Francisco in my late 20s and changed to my birth name, which was also the name of my mother's best friend.  I know tons of people who did that.  My brother changed in high school from Johnny to John.  No big deal.

A lot of people that I knew in NY moved to the San Francisco area in their 20’s.Three are still there.The first time I was in that part of the State was 1970.I fell in love with Sausalito and Haight-Asbury.I spent a lot of time down south in the 60’s working with Dr.King .Those were turbulent times.

27 minutes ago, clo said:

I asked somewhere (here?) if one were adamant about dressing like that and got turned away from the MDR, would they refuse to cruise with that line again.  I don't believe I was answered.  And seeing what you wrote, as a returning cruiser, already know I won't cruise with them.  

One of the many reasons we were one and absolutely forever done with them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

I would say the biggest change is the food in the MDR was fine restaurant quality.  Now it you want what use to be MDR food you need to pay extra at a speciality restaurant.

I refuse to go to a Specialty restaurant on a ship.The food should be the same everywhere. It’s like Sirius charging people to listen to music.

• Like 1

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

I refuse to go to a Specialty restaurant on a ship.The food should be the same everywhere. It’s like Sirius charging people to listen to music.

It really should. THE MDR has a good choice on Celebrity, so are they saying they deliberately cook it a bit better elsewhere on the ship?

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We rarely eat in mdr , we are on vacation , we eat in suite restaurant or specialty, celebrity suite restaurant is great, on the other hand after eating in rccl suite restaurant the first two nights wife wanted specialty restaurants for rest of the week. We can afford this since we are not paying tax’s like people in Long Island 😁😁

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, George C said:

We rarely eat in mdr , we are on vacation , we eat in suite restaurant or specialty, celebrity suite restaurant is great, on the other hand after eating in rccl suite restaurant the first two nights wife wanted specialty restaurants for rest of the week. We can afford this since we are not paying tax’s like people in Long Island 😁😁

Yes,you can. A friend of mine relocated to a Houston suburb.I went to visit him in 2006.He had a 5 bedroom house that he paid $49,000 for in 1980.

My wife and I have never had a cabin higher in status than a balcony on a cruise.My preference is an OV.

30 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Yes,you can. A friend of mine relocated to a Houston suburb.I went to visit him in 2006.He had a 5 bedroom house that he paid $49,000 for in 1980.

My wife and I have never had a cabin higher in status than a balcony on a cruise.My preference is an OV.

Our first suite was a free upgrade but once you get used to perks and the much larger nicer cabin we were hooked . Same as our favorite midtown nyc hotel got a free upgrade to a king suite, now we book same suite each year, I do not care about car I drive but like nice vacations.

9 minutes ago, George C said:

Our first suite was a free upgrade but once you get used to perks and the much larger nicer cabin we were hooked . Same as our favorite midtown nyc hotel got a free upgrade to a king suite, now we book same suite each year, I do not care about car I drive but like nice vacations.

I can understand that . Everyone has something that gives them pleasure or they should.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

The lines we sail on these days don't charge extras for specialty restaurants, but the base cruise fares are higher.  You can't really have it both ways.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 1:40 PM, SteveH2508 said:

Generally attributed to Queen Victoria. That is the definition of good manners - to ensure that the person you are with does not feel uncomfortable. Etiquette is a bit different I think - to me it is about what is 'socially acceptable'. Issues like wearing hats indoors for men; when it is acceptable to pick up a bone and chew the meat off; do not wear brown shoes with a blue/grey suit etc..

The dipping bowl story, I thought it was Eleanor Roosevelt.  

I remember on our first cruise on an NCL ship in the late '80s of how we ordered our main course and then the assistant waiter would serve the vegetables tableside. There wasn't a lot of choices. I'm thinking a potato dish and a couple of other vegetables. Now the chefs have designed main courses that come with their own accompaniments. And if I see something that I want from another dish, I just ask and receive it. On our recent Crown Princess cruise, the food in the main dining room ranged from so-so to exceptional. I never left hungry.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I remember on our first cruise on an NCL ship in the late '80s of how we ordered our main course and then the assistant waiter would serve the vegetables tableside. There wasn't a lot of choices. I'm thinking a potato dish and a couple of other vegetables. Now the chefs have designed main courses that come with their own accompaniments. And if I see something that I want from another dish, I just ask and receive it. On our recent Crown Princess cruise, the food in the main dining room ranged from so-so to exceptional. I never left hungry.

I have always taken that a huge plus when you never leave hungry.

On 10/12/2019 at 5:25 PM, DarrenM said:

Well I ain't going to sugarcoat how life was like back when I was a kid. 

Egg and chips was a luxury.

Dinner parties were just something posh families did.

We did not have a phone or a TV till I was 9 years old.My parents never owned a car.We never went on vacations. On hot summer nights we slept on the roof of the three story apartment building we lived in,no elevator and we lived on the top floor.