Is This a First?

Joc123

We are currently on Ovation sailing Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona.

The first leg of this cruise had an active Roll Call which organised private tours but as we prefer to do Seabourn tours we didn’t join in.

We were surprised to see in the Herald a Cruise Critic Meeting in the Retreat at 6:30pm. I have been apart of CC for 10years (more a lurker than contributor) and I have never seen a gathering like this before.

Unfortunately it coincided with a lecture we wanted to attend so we arrived at the Retreat as it was finishing and I’m sorry we missed it. Everyone was there from the Captain down, caviar and Champagne (sadly not the upgraded Retreat Champagne) and other epicurean delights.

I presume it was organised by the Roll Call group so well done you and well done to Seabourn for giving their time to CC Members. 

It also allowed us to properly see the the Retreat - my opinion has not changed. In fact it confirmed to me that it’s claustrophobic and the installation of mist fans to give relief from the heat says it all. Apparently I’m in the minority because on the next leg (Lisbon - Barcelona) it is booked out! Each to their own.

Once again, well done to all involved in this event.

63280284-3EA3-4102-93D8-17A8DC7B6C9C.jpeg

I've never see a Cruise Critic Get Together - ever on SB.  I would remember because I would LOVE to attend one.

I don't know if Seabourn world headquarters reads this forum but I have talked to a few staff members on board who do so this confirms we're on their radar.  How cool is that?

However, now I should consider changing my dog's picture because they may recognizer her if and when I smuggle her on board.

Edited by raphael360
sic

5 hours ago, raphael360 said:

I've never see a Cruise Critic Get Together - ever on SB.  I would remember because I would LOVE to attend one.

I don't know if Seabourn world headquarters reads this forum but I have talked to a few staff members on board who do so this confirms we're on their radar.  How cool is that?

However, now I should consider changing my dog's picture because they may recognizer her if and when I smuggle her on board.

Have been on 2 seabourn cruises both with multiple segments and we had CC meet and greets on each segment with ships personnel participating.  Seems all you have to do is ask!!

17 hours ago, Joc123 said:

Apparently I’m in the minority because on the next leg (Lisbon - Barcelona) it is booked out! Each to their own.

If anything is a first in this post it's The Retreat being booked out for an entire leg. Seems the hopes of many of us that it will get converted back into useful deck space will remain dashed. 

• Like 1

Never had this experience on Seabourn, although recently one energetic CC member organized her own little CC meet up.  She used the roll call to invite everyone to the Observation Bar on our first evening.  8 of us showed up and we continued to hang out together during our long journey.  Great fun.

Just because someone says the Retreat is booked does not mean that it is fully booked. Call me skeptical.

I remain unconvinced that many people will pay $350/couple for this waste of space. Unless something has changed- it's at a fire sale price or free, a full spa day with hair salon services is delivered there, it's now tax-deductible for those whom the minimum deduction is not relevant, and/or it's become a "member's club" of some nefarious sort temporarily.

If it really is popular I hope that a group of anthropologists and naturalists will be hoisted down to do a documentary. Should be interesting fun to see.

Happy and healthy sailing!

We had a cruise critic meeting in Antarctica on the Quest this winter. Champaign and sophisticated nibbles were served.  A nice gathering. It was requested by a member of our roll call and arranged in advance. 

On mainstream lines like Royal Caribbean a cruise critic gathering is almost always organised. Play your cards right and you come away with a key ring !!!

But I've never come across such a gathering on Seabourn unless organised via the Roll Call. To publish it in the Herald is a great idea. The number of times people on here have retrospectively said they were on the same cruise as us.

Henry 🙂

Edited by Able Seaman H

19 hours ago, Able Seaman H said:

On mainstream lines like Royal Caribbean a cruise critic gathering is almost always organised. Play your cards right and you come away with a key ring !!!

But I've never come across such a gathering on Seabourn unless organised via the Roll Call. To publish it in the Herald is a great idea. The number of times people on here have retrospectively said they were on the same cruise as us.

Henry 🙂

We have met fellow Cruise Critic posters by chance of several SB cruises, but have not seen a formal meeting.  

I’ve enjoyed many “Meet & Mingle” parties organised through Cruise Critic and had forgotten after a few years away that Seabourn didn’t take part. Some lines need minimum numbers but that can be as low as 4 guests. Usually a good mix of officers in attendance or heads of departments who like to get feedback as part of the conversation over a few drinks and canapés. Seabourn is missing an opportunity to engage so it’s positive if they are giving them a go. Looking forward to our trip on Ovation at the start of December to see if there will be a get together. 

Here is a list of lines currently part of the “Meet & Mingle”

6082C64A-3A8D-4700-A5AE-B69B43F89B10.png

My husband and I were on the Ovation for the Dublin to Lisbon segment, September 28 to October 12.  One of the members of our roll call asked for others to meet in the Observation Bar on the second evening.  Approximately twenty of us attended.  Shortly after we gathered, Handre, our Cruise Director, approached us to chat and asked if we were all there together on the cruise.  We told him that we were communicating with each other on the Cruise Critic Roll Call, and that we were meeting each other for the first time on board.  He was delighted to welcome us, and immediately offered to enhance our trip by planning a get together for our group.  The experience far exceeded our expectations!  Several officers attended this special event held in the Retreat.  The Chef prepared an appetizer feast and the music was lovely.  To top it off, the Captain played the guitar for us.  

Handre is an exceptional cruise director.  He is a jewel in Seabourn’s crown!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cru Doll said:

My husband and I were on the Ovation for the Dublin to Lisbon segment, September 28 to October 12.  One of the members of our roll call asked for others to meet in the Observation Bar on the second evening.  Approximately twenty of us attended.  Shortly after we gathered, Handre, our Cruise Director, approached us to chat and asked if we were all there together on the cruise.  We told him that we were communicating with each other on the Cruise Critic Roll Call, and that we were meeting each other for the first time on board.  He was delighted to welcome us, and immediately offered to enhance our trip by planning a get together for our group.  The experience far exceeded our expectations!  Several officers attended this special event held in the Retreat.  The Chef prepared an appetizer feast and the music was lovely.  To top it off, the Captain played the guitar for us.  

Handre is an exceptional cruise director.  He is a jewel in Seabourn’s crown!

What a great story. Is Andrew Pedder on as captain?

Yes Capt Andrew is still on and in fact last night he was on deck dancing with housekeeping staff.

IMO we have the best crew in charge, Capt Andrew, Handre (CD), Kevin(HD), Chef Jes and to top it off Katy joined us in Lisbon to play in TK Bar. It is a very happy ship and we are having a wonderful time 

On 10/12/2019 at 1:01 PM, markham said:

Just because someone says the Retreat is booked does not mean that it is fully booked. Call me skeptical.

I remain unconvinced that many people will pay $350/couple for this waste of space. Unless something has changed- it's at a fire sale price or free, a full spa day with hair salon services is delivered there, it's now tax-deductible for those whom the minimum deduction is not relevant, and/or it's become a "member's club" of some nefarious sort temporarily.

If it really is popular I hope that a group of anthropologists and naturalists will be hoisted down to do a documentary. Should be interesting fun to see.

Sorry Markham, I just checked The Retreat - it’s very busy up there - just like the pool area LOL. Looks like it’s here to stay🙁

3 hours ago, Joc123 said:

Yes Capt Andrew is still on and in fact last night he was on deck dancing with housekeeping staff.

IMO we have the best crew in charge, Capt Andrew, Handre (CD), Kevin(HD), Chef Jes and to top it off Katy joined us in Lisbon to play in TK Bar. It is a very happy ship and we are having a wonderful time 

We were on Ovation in May as it headed north.....Lisbon to Amsterdam and had much of the same crew.   I must agree wholeheartedly that they were best of the best.  Handre & Captain Pedder & were always visible & engaging.....the crew was superb.   The cruise was delightful with interesting ports.....yes we were a happy ship too.  We just love the Ovation & her sister Encore & hope to sail one of them in 2021.....just wish those schedules would be released. 

3 hours ago, Joc123 said:

Off topic but on our way to breakfast this morning we noticed the chair hogs were alive and well. I guess this is what happens when the weather is beautiful and it’s a sea day.

And there is less deck space on the Ovation and Encore than the other three ships which makes sea days more challenging.

As Mr Luxury says there is indeed less deck space and that includes for walking and deck sports- by far- on Encore and Ovation.

Add on an additional 150 passengers and a warm weather sea day and you get a different vibe and, as you have seen, more deck chair hogs.

So the Retreat is getting more use? That's good for Seabourn, I guess, and not so good for the punters who pay for it. Not my idea of luxury relative to the Odyssey, Sojourn and Quest. Simple as that.

Oh, well... each to his own.