Almost Live - First Time Azamara to Southeast Asia

hubofhockey

Glad you enjoyed HK we love it every time we visit something new.

The difference in the sites as mentioned from Celebrity is you travel down Mekong to HM and for Bangkok the same you are very close to things not hours of driving.

Enjoy the markets in all these places as we did this cruise 2 years ago on AZ and loved it.

Best was Junk boat I booked with others in Halong Bay.

Thanks Trend and Ron.  There is no doubt we'll miss Hong Kong.  I hope the protests have brought world attention to the Hong Kongese.  

We're getting ready to leave the hotel for the ship.  All packed and I can use the embarkation day and day at sea to relax.  

It's perfect weather for embarkation from Kowloon.  The skies are clear and temperatures are from 80F to 82F today. 

With the upgrade to the CC Suite, we now have to get a little creative to spend the $900 nonrefundable onboard credit.  I guess we'll look at Chef's Table, upgrading the suite WIFI minutes to a voyage plan, spa, and maybe an excursion to the W Resort in Ko Samui (was thinking originally of taking a cab there for 1/2 the price, but going with the ship is worry free on a tight port day in terms of hours and a tender.  If it rains, I guess we spend it in a gift shop.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

Thanks Trend and Ron.  There is no doubt we'll miss Hong Kong.  I hope the protests have brought world attention to the Hong Kongese.  

We're getting ready to leave the hotel for the ship.  All packed and I can use the embarkation day and day at sea to relax.  

It's perfect weather for embarkation from Kowloon.  The skies are clear and temperatures are from 80F to 82F today. 

With the upgrade to the CC Suite, we now have to get a little creative to spend the $900 nonrefundable onboard credit.  I guess we'll look at Chef's Table, upgrading the suite WIFI minutes to a voyage plan, spa, and maybe an excursion to the W Resort in Ko Samui (was thinking originally of taking a cab there for 1/2 the price, but going with the ship is worry free on a tight port day in terms of hours and a tender.  If it rains, I guess we spend it in a gift shop.

They  have some lovely things in the gift shop – just don't leave it until the last evening because you may get stuck like we did when the captain decided to avoid some coming weather by pulling into port early [and thereby forcing the shops to close in mid-transaction].

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

Hi Hub, I’m so glad you’re finally sailing with us...feels like you’ve been a part of our online community for ages!

Congratulations on the upgrade too. 

Can’t wait to read more 💙

I've also had a couple of false starts on Azamara.  This one always seemed more definite.  I owe the upgrade to Grandma Cruising because her info provides a great guide as to $ per day it is to get the upgrade.  My first impressions (very good) in next post.  

• Like 2

We got on the ship yesterday.  The first thing you notice is how much easier everything is to do.  I forgot to bring my luggage tags.  It wasn’t a problem.  At port, they put my name and. Cabin # on and it was done.  Boarding was easy.  

What is different about this cruise for us is all of the onboard credit we had as well as the onboard credit ($900 nonrefundable and $400 refundable).  The goal is to spend the non-refundable on things that you really want and walk home with the refundable credits.  I pay close attention to the regulars on the Azamara boards and the advices and strategies they use.  Even though we bud and got the upgrade to CC suite, making Prime C and Aqualina no upcharge restaurants, we are grateful for the advice to book specialty dining right after boarding.  For the 15 nights, we weren’t going to book during: overnight on Halong Bay junk boat cruise, Azamazing Evening, White Night, or late port nights.  We wound up booking two nights each Aqualina and Prime C along with a Chef’s Table on French night and the Rijstafal (rice table).  That’s $240 OBC gone.

Next was spa/gym.  On a bigger ship, with many things to do, this would be an afterthought, but I signed up the bootcamp (sea days) and the personal training (three 30-minute sessions for $99) and service charge of 18%.  That’s another $258.  My wife took massage, acupuncture and hair treatments at $461.  So 720 of the 900 credit for spa, $240 for dining, and then upgraded WIFI at $150.  Before you know it, we’re down to $190 refund within 90 minutes of getting on the ship, and before luggage was in the cabin.  It's one of our bucket list vacations and I am not going into this with my focus being on saving a couple hundred dollars.  

We had a great and friendly roll call.  Always great to match faces with usernames.  Ernest hosted the event. It was short but a nice event in Cabaret Lounge.  The sail away from Hong Kong is absolutely beautiful.  As you can tell by my posts, I fell in love with Hong Kong and will miss it.  Some love the Venice sail away.  I'll rate this right up there with that one.  Leaving when it's dark enhances it.  I hope Azamara does this itinerary again.  I don't see it on their schedule, but this itinerary was a big draw for us.

There is a good mix between Azamara regulars and first timers.  There are also quite a few who are doing consecutive cruises.  I'm away from the office for three weeks in a slow time of year, but to me, this is my longest vacation since I have been an adult.  

Here are my day one observations.

The Club Continent Suite is a very nice room.  I’m impressed with the space, separate table and chairs in the room, bathroom, and design.  In context, we are usually in standard balcony/veranda cabins on mass market lines.  When our kids were little, years ago, we had a Princess mini-suite.  I like this layout better.  It’s more of a square, typical of a hotel room as opposed to the more rectangular configuration on Princess.

The service is something you notice right away.  If the crew to passenger ratio is better on Azamara and the crew seems engaged.  I am quite happy with Celebrity’s service levels, but this is next level.  

The ship, itself, is nice, but it’s a matter of taste whether this is for everyone.  I view it more like an older grand hotel like the Omni Parker House in Boston where the nicer newer ships on the mass market lines are like modern Hiltons or Marriotts with the great spas, pools, gyms, and restaurants.  Both can make for great experiences and we’re happy with either.  Our next two cruises are Silver Galapagos (Silversea with our 20 something kids) and Celebrity Reflection Aqua Class in the Caribbean next November.  When we cruise with the kids, they love the mega ships of Royal Caribbean.  There “some” younger people on board, but I think most are 50s and 60s.  I haven’t noticed anyone with mobility issues and that could be because of this itinerary.  Of the public spaces, I think I am impressed most by the Cabaret Lounge as a showroom.  I was expecting something smaller and not as nice.  For a small ship, they did justice to this venue.  Maybe that's my personal taste.  The pool area seems like an afterthought, but okay.

We booked Aqualina last night.  From 6:30 to a little after 8, it was 70% empty (attributable to first night, no doubt).  That made for great service, very personal.  I thought it was great.  Had the veal chop, which was incredibly tender and the demi glace sauce was sweet and very good.  Also had the tuna tartare with avocado, the caprese, the Cornish hen with pasta small plate, and the limoncello sorbet and meringue for dessert. That’s a lot of food.  The Cornish hen with pasta was “okay”.  In retrospect, it’s too much food and I should have passed on that pasta dish.  The main singer went on at 9:30.  In three days in Hong Kong, the apple watch says we walked 25 miles and up and down hills.  I was spent and called it an early night.  

The ship was rocking a bit last night.  It’s fine in the morning.  I love sleeping on ships.  I put on my Sea Bands after dinner and felt better and slept like a baby.  Today is a sea day.  I hope to spend some time at Sanctum Terrace Pool area.  The pool there is relaxing.  Water is nice and warm, but not hot.  I like being in the middle of things, so will also hang by the main pool area.  

I'll do a short post in a day and then a review of our overnight premium junk on Bhaya Cruises.  I'll try to add some more pictures as well.  

Edited by hubofhockey
  • Like 5

Azamara has done a great job updating these ships – but it's really awe-inspiring to remember that they were designed way back in the late 1990s by Renaissance.  They were so revolutionary at the time that they have held up really well.  [Renaissance failed as collateral damage from 9/11.  It's interesting to think what they might have become based on their two generations of ship designs – all 16 ships are still sailing and still beloved.]

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Azamara has done a great job updating these ships – but it's really awe-inspiring to remember that they were designed way back in the late 1990s by Renaissance.  They were so revolutionary at the time that they have held up really well.  [Renaissance failed as collateral damage from 9/11.  It's interesting to think what they might have become based on their two generations of ship designs – all 16 ships are still sailing and still beloved.]

Greg,

Believe there were only 8 R ships; R1-R8.  3 with Azamara, 4 with Oceania and 1 with Princess.

36 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Greg,

Believe there were only 8 R ships; R1-R8.  3 with Azamara, 4 with Oceania and 1 with Princess.

As you note, there were 8 'R-class' ships [R One through R Eight] built from 1998 to 2001.  But before that, there were 8 'Renaissance-class' ships built from 1989 to 1998:  I [Roman numeral] is now being used as a private yacht; II is being used for spare parts [the only one not sailing, after 30 years!] ; III is now Silver Galapagos; IV is now Corinthian; V is now Quark Sea Spirit; VI is now Caledonian Sky; VII is now Hebridean Sky; VIII is now Island Sky [the last three all sailing for Noble-Caledonia].

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Cruises#Renaissance_class

• Like 3

3 hours ago, need2cruisesoon said:

Dave, you are right at 8 but 16 would've been the cats meow, imagine AZ with 6 of these ships?

See my reply.  I did say "two generations of ship designs."

But Renaissance III [Silver Galapagos] may be coming on the market soon, as Silversea has a new-build for Galapagos and they can't get a second license there.  If Noble-Caledonia doesn't buy it, Azamara could – to launch a new luxury yacht endeavor [as Crystal has recently done].

A couple of side notes.  A couple of months ago, they stated a change in the captain to the new guy, but they must have changed their mind.  Magnus Davidson is the captain.  They also announced that the current entertainers are finishing their stay on this cruise.  None of this means much to me.

Also, future cruise guy is hawking Galapagos on the Celebrity Flora.  I have one for 50% of what they are charging for that on the Silver Galapagos and have no interest in swapping them out.  Trouble must follow my cruising around the world.  The first Azamara cruise we had was canceled due to unrest in Turkey.  This cruise began in Hong Kong, and now things are getting nasty in Quito.  I will jinx your cruise by booking it.  If you see me on your roll call, run away . . .very fast.🤣

Our cruises are spoken for in 2020.  Silver Galapagos with our 20 something kids and Reflection in November.  I would book a 2021 onboard for Azamara.  The two that interest me are 15-night Japan intensive on Pursuit in late April 2021 and 15-night ancient wonders in November 2021 (finishes before Thanksgiving) Athens to Rome with two days in Egypt and four in Israel.   I love Israel and have a guide there. I'll price them out with a couple of TAs.  

Sea day - did the boot camp (want to be productive).  I like lunch in Windows.  It's better than the Oceanview on Celebrity.  Dinner will be in MDR tonight.

• Like 2

Magnus has been both staff captain and captain for at least as long as I have sailed the ships. 

Ship was not at all rocking last night..sailing into HK was the second worse night in two months.  

Not heard much on Flora since early Sept. I reprice my cruise and my agent got it for less. But I went to learn on what I was seeing when I go vs the ship.

you spent your money very well. I use mine on wine, caviar and spa. 

Glad you made it to the sail,away party..I left there for the VIP party. I rarely use the T pool but have. Enjoy your rice table dinner. Skip lunch. It is a fun night. Also Ana and others are well known to cruisers . So we are very lucky to have them back home.

On 10/12/2019 at 9:57 AM, Jellifer said:

Thank you for doing this, really interested to read about your travels. I’ll be boarding on the 31st in Singapore for my first Azamara cruise. Any first timer tips will be appreciated!

I’m not on your cruise, just posting for information. Have you had a look at the sticky topic ‘Tips for Azamara Newbies’ in the main Azamara Forum.

Great review - glad you seem to be enjoying it so far. Just a quick tip - you don’t mention where you ate breakfast. On our last cruise  we decided to try having breakfast in Discoveries (MDR) and loved it! They put on a buffet that offers much of what’s available in Windows buffet & there’s a good menu of served dishes too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Great review - glad you seem to be enjoying it so far. Just a quick tip - you don’t mention where you ate breakfast. On our last cruise  we decided to try having breakfast in Discoveries (MDR) and loved it! They put on a buffet that offers much of what’s available in Windows buffet & there’s a good menu of served dishes too.

Thanks for bringing that up.  On the mass market lines we have been on, I have not been a fan of breakfast in the MDR or even in Blu on Celebrity.  Sometimes it takes a bit long.  We had great breakfasts (included in our package) at our pre-cruise hotel, Hotel Icon, in Hong Kong,  Windows was okay for breakfast.  The omelet wasn't fluffy.  It was kind of flat.  I'd say it was a letdown and below Celebrity's Oceanview buffet.  The only other thing I had was fruit (and melons).  

One more thing on dining is that I like that the interactive TVs have the Discoveries menus for ALL days on the TV.  

Robin, I noticed rocking in Aqualina last night, but not in my cabin.  My wife has spent a good amount on spa, hair, and accupuncture.  

I just did something stupid.  I went to the smartphone photography class, totally forgetting that this is something I could have watched on Youtube.  

The port lecturer for Vietnam was very good.  We are doing an overnight on a premium line junk tomorrow.  They will passing out visas tomorrow.  We are using Bhaya.  Weather is supposed to be great around 83-84F and sunny both days.  Looking forward to it and will review it here as well.  

• Like 1

My tip for breakfast in the MDR  if like me you enjoy fruit and cereal to start and a cooked breakfast after. Order the first course and when that has arrived then order the hot food. Too often if I ordered it together, the hot food was plated up and left so that an item like scrambled egg was starting to cook stick on the plate or the eggs over easy were not by the time they arrived. This might have been a particular method on Pursuit or a new way generally on the ships. I've not noticed it before.

It didn't run my day, but I like my breakfast to be right. Otherwise I'm a bear until coffee time. Lol 

Phil 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

Windows was okay for breakfast.  The omelet wasn't fluffy.  It was kind of flat.  I'd say it was a letdown and below Celebrity's Oceanview buffet.  The only other thing I had was fruit (and melons).  

My absolute favorite item in the Windows for breakfast is the cold muesli to which I add blueberries and stewed prunes. I would love to have the recipe for our onboard muesli. I know it has apples sliced into matchsticks. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

Thanks for bringing that up.  On the mass market lines we have been on, I have not been a fan of breakfast in the MDR or even in Blu on Celebrity.  Sometimes it takes a bit long.  We had great breakfasts (included in our package) at our pre-cruise hotel, Hotel Icon, in Hong Kong,  Windows was okay for breakfast.  The omelet wasn't fluffy.  It was kind of flat.  I'd say it was a letdown and below Celebrity's Oceanview buffet.  The only other thing I had was fruit (and melons).  

One more thing on dining is that I like that the interactive TVs have the Discoveries menus for ALL days on the TV.  

Robin, I noticed rocking in Aqualina last night, but not in my cabin.  My wife has spent a good amount on spa, hair, and accupuncture.  

I just did something stupid.  I went to the smartphone photography class, totally forgetting that this is something I could have watched on Youtube.  

The port lecturer for Vietnam was very good.  We are doing an overnight on a premium line junk tomorrow.  They will passing out visas tomorrow.  We are using Bhaya.  Weather is supposed to be great around 83-84F and sunny both days.  Looking forward to it and will review it here as well.  

On the way into,HK I was in cabin or bed. But made it to dinner..the trick was the show.i thought Ana was on for one show.lasted thrust it and the Den. Right now I notice it more than last night,

your trio tomorrow should be great. Looking forward to hearing about cabins and food.

what did you think of tonight’s show..yet to see it all.due to the second shows timing mostly at dinner.

2 hours ago, ellbon said:

On the way into,HK I was in cabin or bed. But made it to dinner..the trick was the show.i thought Ana was on for one show.lasted thrust it and the Den. Right now I notice it more than last night,

your trio tomorrow should be great. Looking forward to hearing about cabins and food.

what did you think of tonight’s show..yet to see it all.due to the second shows timing mostly at dinner.

Ugh, I called Azamara before the cruise and asked about the special visa for Vietnam when you are staying overnight in Halong Bay on a private excursion.  They told me the price and put a note in my file.  One of the first things I did when I boarded was to check on this.  I fell asleep at 9 pm and woke up at midnight to find the WRONG VISA under my door.  They said maybe they can fix it in the morning.  Hopefully, they can fix it.  I am cautiously optimistic.  If not, I will ask them if they can comp me on their overnight, but I think they would tell me to pound sand.  😡. It's a good thing I looked at the visa first, rather than showing up at the Bhaya docks with an ineffective visa.  They would have denied boarding.  

So far, I am not impressed with Guest Services.  When I tried to upgrade to unlimited WIFI, the gentleman had no clue how to do it and, at first told me that it was a shame that I had already logged in and established an account.  Huh?  They tell you that you have three days to upgrade from the suite 240 minutes to the $150 credit towards the voyage unlimited.  I asked for my phone back and got back in line to speak with someone who actually made this happen,.

I missed tonight's show.  I will catch Ana at her next performance.  

Ate in the MDR last night.  The tandoori lamb was very good.  Also like the firecracker shrimp (shrimp in an egg roll) and pear bisque soup.  Dessert was chocolate gelato and a huge let down as every bite had ice chips.  Probably a message that maybe I should skip dessert every now and again.   I am hoping that I make it on the Bhaya junk as their dining is supposed be really good.  I'll follow up here and inform on the resolution.  

Another shock yesterday are the Azamara prices for the Japan cruises in 2021.  For the 15-day, April itinerary, even for OV, it's $10K per person.  Yikes!!!!!!  Oceania is much less for same time period.  Princess is dirt cheap, but they don't treat their older ships well.  It would be cheap.  We'll see.  

Edited by hubofhockey
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, need2cruisesoon said:

Len, you're looking at Japan for '21? I'll have to discuss with you offline....

Anyway, good to hear you are enjoying the cruise hopefully they can fix the Visa issue?

Who and how is the CD aboard?

Hi Ron.  His name is Ernest Marchain.  I'm sure he's okay, but haven't been to the shows.

We can talk offline on Japan.  If I do it, it would be Sun Princess or Oceania Nautica.  

Azamara has the most fiercely loyal regular passenger base I have seen anywhere.  This line should be grateful for them.  The problem is that when they introduce or re-introduce exotic itineraries, there is such a pent up demand that it drives prices through the roof.  Ideally, I would do more cruises on Azamara, but the pricing has to work.  

Cautiously optimistic on the visa thing.  They said they would work with local immigration and possibly resolve around 9 am.  Bhaya is a 21 minute taxi ride and I really don't have to be there until 11:30.  It's just a little frustrating.