Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
dheat789

Platinum Gift

Recommended Posts

Just curious any changes of the platinum gift for the month of October? or still Lanyards?

Thanks in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the latest post from John Heald on this subject dated October 7.  They are changing it at some point just not sure of when.  I'm guessing when they run out or have a cooler weather option like the blanket.  No mention or hint in this post of doing away with the gift.

 

"First of all let me thank Hector for his loyalty and indeed i have been asked this question multiple times. I know that the lanyard was not our best gift ever and we re changing it. I do not have a time line as to when this will happen and I thought it best to say that here so that it will save others from asking.

I will for sure let you know as soon as I have any news and until then a massive thank you to everyone for their loyalty and long may that continue

cheers"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So  NOT treading lightly worked.      Good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dheat789 said:

Just curious any changes of the platinum gift for the month of October? or still Lanyards?

Thanks in advance

Still the worthless lanyard on the Sunrise last week. Cheapest piece of garbage I have seen. Was not nearly as nice of those they sell in the gift store.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I am one of the few happy people with the lanyard.  I got mine last week on the Magic.  I was going to buy one for my key  and wanted mine.  My key fell out of the plastic holder, so I took the plastic off and just used the metal clip and put it in the hole of my key.   It worked great and unlike previous years, I was able to keep up with my key.   Thank you Carnival!

Edited by lucy2mb
left out something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lanyards on The Dream last week , tried to give them away ,,no takers , put them in the trash can 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

This is the latest post from John Heald on this subject dated October 7.  They are changing it at some point just not sure of when.  I'm guessing when they run out or have a cooler weather option like the blanket.  No mention or hint in this post of doing away with the gift.

 

"First of all let me thank Hector for his loyalty and indeed i have been asked this question multiple times. I know that the lanyard was not our best gift ever and we re changing it. I do not have a time line as to when this will happen and I thought it best to say that here so that it will save others from asking.

I will for sure let you know as soon as I have any news and until then a massive thank you to everyone for their loyalty and long may that continue

cheers"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently you don't read all of Heald's responses about the gift. You did manage to get the most recent response and you should be commended for that. so Good Job! However, you might try reading the article below. It's a good one and references the points I was making. Especially the part about ending the gifts entirely 🙂

 

 

https://cruiseradio.net/ungrateful-carnival-cruisers-whine-about-free-gift/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have found most of the Platinum gifts to be not to our liking and we have left many in our cabin. Would rather Carnival stop the gifts and use the money to lower prices/not raise prices on something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Free gifts are free gifts. If you don't like it, give it away, or as others have said, leave them in your cabin. You are not ENTITLED to a free VIP gift, Carnival chooses to give you one. So just like the cheap cologne you got from your sister-in-law last Christmas, either re-gift it or throw it away!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lanyard isnt terrible, but the plastic case for your keycard is much too big. I exchanged it right away with a smaller plastic holder I already had.  Many have told me that their cards have come out & they lose them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, lucy2mb said:

I guess I am one of the few happy people with the lanyard.  I got mine last week on the Magic.  I was going to buy one for my key  and wanted mine.  My key fell out of the plastic holder, so I took the plastic off and just used the metal clip and put it in the hole of my key.   It worked great and unlike previous years, I was able to keep up with my key.   Thank you Carnival!

This is what I did, threw plastic piece away & clipped S&S card to metal piece.  Worked great except in casino.  Had to take lanyard off in order for it to reach slot on machine.  Ended up leaving it 1x.

I would like to add this positive comment.  The "ship specific" pin we received on the Vista last month was quite nice.  Better than others we have gotten.

Edited by Banditswife
addition to post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know that I've ever really used most of the Platinum gifs I've received.  I think the metal thermos was the most useful and I still have that.

Instead of a gift, I wish they would give me a few more free beverages - something I could use up on the cruise and not have to take home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we need 2 lanyards? No, but our grandchildren will love them. We still use several previous gifts, headphones, Tervis, duffle bag and cross-body bag. Are we going to complain when we walk into our cabin and find lanyards? Heck no. We don't cruise for the 'free' gifts, but we do appreciate them, even the crappy ones - we can always find someone who will use it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beachbum6264 said:

Do we need 2 lanyards? No, but our grandchildren will love them. We still use several previous gifts, headphones, Tervis, duffle bag and cross-body bag. Are we going to complain when we walk into our cabin and find lanyards? Heck no. We don't cruise for the 'free' gifts, but we do appreciate them, even the crappy ones - we can always find someone who will use it. 

we give our free gifts to our grand kids. they love them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they are need to save money so badly that they have to downgrade the gift to a fifty cent item that many people won't use, they should change it to a free drink, dessert from the bakery, or room service item that normally has a fee.  It would cost them barely any money and the majority of people could find some way to use it.  Giving something of value and then downgrading it to a cheap item is obviously going to be seen as another benefit that has been taken away by many people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

If they are need to save money so badly that they have to downgrade the gift to a fifty cent item that many people won't use, they should change it to a free drink, dessert from the bakery, or room service item that normally has a fee.  It would cost them barely any money and the majority of people could find some way to use it.  Giving something of value and then downgrading it to a cheap item is obviously going to be seen as another benefit that has been taken away by many people.

Your logic, or lack there of escapes me. The loyalty gift is something with Carnival logo on it that would help others see you cruise Carnival.  It has zero to do with downgrading.  Two words are key, free gift.  As mentioned in other threads, with all the griping, I wish they would just do away with it, but sadly, they will not. Value is a subjective word.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Your logic, or lack there of escapes me. The loyalty gift is something with Carnival logo on it that would help others see you cruise Carnival.  It has zero to do with downgrading.  Two words are key, free gift.  As mentioned in other threads, with all the griping, I wish they would just do away with it, but sadly, they will not. Value is a subjective word.   


It isn't surprising that after giving out what appears to be nice gifts and then switching them for something cheap, people have reacted.  I mean, if someone's boss gave gave them a  $25 gift card as a gift each year and then decided to just give them a quarter one year, the person would wonder why. Even though a gift is a gift, if the gift is usually nice and then suddenly a cheap gift it will cause a reaction.  It would be better to give nothing and do away with the gift than to downgrade to something like a lanyard for people who have sailed over 75 nights. That's my opinion.

I don't really care anyway.  When I reach platinum, all I care about are the priority lines and dropping off carry ons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:


It isn't surprising that after giving out what appears to be nice gifts and then switching them for something cheap, people have reacted.  I mean, if someone's boss gave gave them a  $25 gift card as a gift each year and then decided to just give them a quarter one year, the person would wonder why. Even though a gift is a gift, if the gift is usually nice and then suddenly a cheap gift it will cause a reaction.  It would be better to give nothing and do away with the gift than to downgrade to something like a lanyard for people who have sailed over 75 nights. That's my opinion.

I don't really care anyway.  When I reach platinum, all I care about are the priority lines and dropping off carry ons.

I totally agree with your logic on this one.  However, let me offer a different solution.  Carnival should up it's game and give a really, really nice Platinum gift to FIRST timers.  The ones who finally achieve the status.  Give the gift one time.  For those of us who have been Platinum, also give the gift to us.  One time.  From then on, they would only present the gifts to first time achievers and therefore can afford a nicer gift.  I would rather have a really nice gift from the start, than a bunch of lanyards.  I love mine, but there are only so many you can use.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Carnival did away with the gift entirely wouldn't bother me. Priority check-in and boarding is usually the only thing I partake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny this topic came up - I was cleaning a closet today and came across 2 tote bags that I don't recall getting.  They are mesh on top with an insulated compartment on the bottom.  They are really nice. I will take them on my Feb cruise with the family and they will come in handy with a 5 year old.  

Does anyone recall when they were the gift?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...