From Burnie, Tasmania: Cradle Mountain vs Leven Canyon

Tansy Mews

It seems that a drive to Cradle Mountain might be a lovely way to spend our day. We are in Burnie from 8 - 6. 

Another cruiser found Leven Canyon which appears to be closer.

While we can walk a couple of kilometres - we aren't mountain goats - but we don't want a "sit in the bus all day" trip. 

The day trips to Cradle Mountain say there will be a "short walk and refreshments" at Dove Lake.

Comments? Suggestions? 

I also found a tour to Narawntapu National Park. It includes Bakers Beach and Archers Knob.

Thanks!

Frances

4 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I love Cradle Mountain, but consider it too far from Burnie and then when you get there the weather can be wildly unpredictable.

Thank you. Would the weather be an issue in early February as well? 

Frances

1 minute ago, Tansy Mews said:

Thank you. Would the weather be an issue in early February as well? 

Frances

To be frank never been there in Feb, and it is beautiful, just a couple of hours each way, so half your day is travel. I’m not sure just where they are taking you for refreshments, but if it’s the lodge there won’t be much of a walk There will be a short walk from the car park to the edge of the lake, there is a long walk if you want to take all or part of it, you are also likely to see some wildlife, Wombats and Wallabys with a bit of luck.

Hi Frances.  I found that Discover Burnie is a great site for info, bookings, etc.   They'll give you info on tours if you email them.  I'm about to book with a company called That's the Spirit, Tours since they offer a tour along the coast to Devonport and around. They're a local company of 2 guys, and are willing to customize the trip a little, which I like. They  charge per person, whether two people or 6, moderately priced in my opinion. They have 4 or 5 tours listed, or you might be able to email them and ask about something different.  The Devonport tour is one they offer, but to book it on their website, you have to use the "Sheffield in Color" line and note in comments you want Devonport. 

I considered going to Cradle Mountain but it just sounded too far, with perhaps not enough to interest us. But of course, everyone's different.  And for Leven, I believe someone on your Roll Call or another for Aus/NZ mentioned Viator not showing tours in 2020 yet.  I'm not sure if that's the case or not, but I just ran across Viator tours on my phone, and I was able to pull up tours for our 2020 dates.  Didn't try to book and pay, however.  I just thought I'd mention this in case people are still looking for  tours offered by Viator.  

17 minutes ago, roothy123 said:

Hi Frances.  I found that Discover Burnie is a great site for info, bookings, etc.   They'll give you info on tours if you email them

Burnie, Tasmania

You are right. I have queried them several times! 

Our friends are thinking of Cradle Mountain but I worry that it is too far. Too much time in the vehicle. 

Lots of options in and around Burnie. 

- A short tour around the town including Fern Glade and the whiskey distillery. 

3-Hour tour Scenic Burnie and Surrounds - Crawn Motors

http://www.discoverburnie.net/Cruise-Ships/Tours/Scenic-Burnie-and-Surrounds

$75 AUD for 3 hours - In and around Burnie.

- A cave and a wildlife park. 

Gunns Plain Cave and Wings Wildlife.
https://www.crawnmotors.com/index.php/cruise-ship-tours/wings-wildlife-tour

- A regional museum in town that has a recreation of a city street in 1900. 

- Leven Canyon. 

http://www.discoverburnie.net/Home

Frances

Edited by Tansy Mews