Executive office called about my Guarantee Cabin

I have an update -- this morning I went on Elliot.org and pulled up the contact emails for RCCL.  attached here.

I sent them an email about my Pre Cruise experience and included comments I have posted here  about my concerns from not being assigned a cabin yet via a Guarantee.

Within 20 minutes of sending that email -  Damien called from the Executive office.    I passed on the number to my TA to handle.   She just called me back.   

The conversation involved Damien stating …..  

We have closed the Oct 19th sailing to bookings and all cabins will be assigned by Wed.

Royal Up has nothing to do with waiting for a guarantee assignment.

We would never let a guest come to the pier without an assigned cabin -- we would call them the day before and inform them.  

Screenshot_20191011-082603_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for the follow-up.

I just assumed that GTY means they can assign the room whenever.  I've heard of folks not finding out the room number until they check in at the pier.  Not sure why it really makes a difference.  If you care about your room location, then you should probably pick your own room.  That's the tradeoff for the cheaper price of a GTY.

• Like 14

25 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Thanks for the follow-up.

I just assumed that GTY means they can assign the room whenever.  I've heard of folks not finding out the room number until they check in at the pier.  Not sure why it really makes a difference.  If you care about your room location, then you should probably pick your own room.  That's the tradeoff for the cheaper price of a GTY.

I often book GTY cabins don't care about my room location but am super curious where it is and check several times until I'm assigned a room.

• Like 1

Just now, FLACRUISER99 said:

I often book GTY cabins don't care about my room location but am super curious where it is and check several times until I'm assigned a room.

Oh I am too..but I wouldn't panic if I didn't have my room assignment weeks out from the cruise.  The details for guarantees even state that they can be assigned up until checking in at the port.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Oh I am too..but I wouldn't panic if I didn't have my room assignment weeks out from the cruise.  The details for guarantees even state that they can be assigned up until checking in at the port.

I don't worry until the day before.

A guarantee means that they can give you any cabin on the ship that is at least in the category of your guarantee.

They don't have to give it to you before you are ready to step onto the ship.

The OP seems to have gone overboard with her anxiety.

Many guarantees go unassigned to the last minute.

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

would you be so kind to show me where that wording is on the rccl site about being assigned anytime up to sailing day.

all i see is the wording that you will get the category you booked.

as mentioned I have only booked guarantee one other time  in my 20 plus cruises and was assigned pretty soon after booking and well before sailing.   

1 minute ago, LINDAE3213 said:

would you be so kind to show me where that wording is on the rccl site about being assigned anytime up to sailing day.

as mentioned I have only booked guarantee one other time  in my 20 plus cruises and was assigned pretty soon after booking and well before sailing.   

Implicitly implied🤔

I also believe that RoyalUP has nothing to do with your situation. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LINDAE3213 said:

It doesn't say ANYTHING on the site about "when" your cabin will be assigned.  So you have no reason to assume anything about the timing.

• Like 4

You book a guaranty, you roll the dice.  We are waiting on a WS for a December 1st cruise.  Booked over two months ago and still waiting.  We have received a Royal Up email for this sailing with the ability to bid on a GS, OS or Sky Loft.  That email says we have a JS though my set sail pass shows no cabin number, muster station or deck.  Oh well, we will find out eventually.

And I, personally, believe that it has EVERYTHING to do with the RoyalUp program.

They push and push and push (I received MULTIPLE emails) people to bid on upgrades.  Only once they are satisfied that they have wrung every possible dollar out of that system, do they distribute the remaining cabins to those who booked with a guarantee.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/aus/en/faq/questions/what-is-a-guarantee-stateroom-and-how-does-it-work-

Language is on the Australian version of the site..of course.  Yay consistency!

And on the UK site too https://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/discover-cruise-holidays/guarantee-rooms/ where they helpfully say "We'll let you know which room you're in before you sail". Just as well. Can you imagine guarantee guests lining up at GS to get their stateroom assignments after they sail! :classic_laugh:

14 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

And I, personally, believe that it has EVERYTHING to do with the RoyalUp program.

They push and push and push (I received MULTIPLE emails) people to bid on upgrades.  Only once they are satisfied that they have wrung every possible dollar out of that system, do they distribute the remaining cabins to those who booked with a guarantee.

100% they are going to squeeze and squeeze until royal up is exhausted, then maybe some leftovers will go to C&A for paid upgrades and the leftovers will be assigned to W staterooms. 

I’m sure it has to do with the Royal up program too.  It only makes sense...

The last sentence bothered me though.  “We would never let a guest come to the pier without an assigned cabin” .....does this mean they could call and cancel you the day before?  I’m sure I’m reading into it. And I know they don’t call you to inform you what cabin you’re in. 

Im actually fine with knowing last minute.  But really shouldn’t that be at 2 days prior since they have to have the manifest done.  They have to know by then that everyone booked has a room.

18 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I’m sure it has to do with the Royal up program too.  It only makes sense...

The last sentence bothered me though.  “We would never let a guest come to the pier without an assigned cabin” .....does this mean they could call and cancel you the day before?  I’m sure I’m reading into it. And I know they don’t call you to inform you what cabin you’re in. 

Im actually fine with knowing last minute.  But really shouldn’t that be at 2 days prior since they have to have the manifest done.  They have to know by then that everyone booked has a room.

I'm pretty sure you can make name changes up to 24 hours before, and the manifest isn't "sealed" until 90 minutes prior (all-aboard time).

• Like 1

I interpreted the last sentence to mean...if they had no cabin for you they would not wait for you to arrive at the pier to tell you.   

Lesson learned overall for me ...past performance not indicative of future behavior....just because my 1st guarantee was easy breezy with an assignment doesnt mean this one was. 

As for those who called me over anxious well  gee when everyone on roll call was assigned long before it made me wonder what the issue was.  Even my TA was getting worried for me.

I always try to offer kindness on this board....we all worry or have concerns over different aspects of cruising...hence the forum to ask questions..share positive or negative experiences .but i guess some people need to be mean / snarky.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, LINDAE3213 said:

I interpreted the last sentence to mean...if they had no cabin for you they would not wait for you to arrive at the pier to tell you.   

Lesson learned overall for me ...past performance not indicative of future behavior....just because my 1st guarantee was easy breezy with an assignment doesnt mean this one was. 

As for those who called me over anxious well  gee when everyone on roll call was assigned long before it made me wonder what the issue was.  Even my TA was getting worried for me.

I always try to offer kindness on this board....we all worry or have concerns over different aspects of cruising...hence the forum to ask questions..share positive or negative experiences .but i guess some people need to be mean / snarky.

I do not recall anyone being mean to you.

If your TA was getting worried then you need to find a more experienced one who knows of this situation and how late or early GTY s are assigned these days. TA should have advised against calling and pestering HO for this and they should have called their contact if you still wanted to call and inquire. Perhaps the anxiety was passed on to you from the TA. But there is really nothing to worry about and ruin your pre cruise planning. GTY cabins are getting filled quite near the cruise these days as reported. Some people are also getting the cabins on the day of.  Please do not worry. If this is causing you so much worry,  do not book a GTY next time for peace of mind.
Anyway after all the calls/emails did you get your GTY assigned or not yet?

• Like 13