San Juan Virgin Islands Cruise in Feb

aururab

Hello all! 

I am considering the San Juan Virgin Island Cruise in Feb onboard Star Pride.

Any feedback on the typical weather at that time of year, and if the ship often misses any stops due to weather in Feb? 

From my experience February thru May are ideal times to visit the Caribbean, humidity and rain seems to start in June, I am going to BVI this February and really enjoy the weather as a chance to get away from winter, you will be fine.

12 hours ago, aururab said:

Is it common for storms to make ships miss port visits at that time of year?

That time of the year is typically very calm in the tropics. There is never a guarantee, but it's definitely a time frame where you are least likely to encounter a storm.  Keep in mind that there is a big difference between rain (even hard rain) and a storm with heavy winds.  Rain itself won't keep a ship from docking and shouldn't keep tenders from running.  Lightning is fairly rare that time of the year as well.

The only storms that cause problems in the Caribbean in February are the ones in the north Atlantic. They can cause ground swell with waves that impact some beaches. Which beaches depend on the direction of the swell,  but usually northerly facing ones.

Thanks! 

I am on the fence deciding between the Feb 8 PG Tahiti cruise and the Feb 8 San Juan to San Juan cruise on Star Pride, and someone on the PG thread said something about the weather in the Virgin Islands at that time of year that had just given me pause. 

15 Caribbean Cruises with WS November- January 15 perfect weather, rain storms last about 10 minutes, seas calm, great time to go and February and March have  better weather. Tahiti again 10 minute rain, calm seas, we crossed on the Wind Spirit Costa Rica to Tahiti we skirted the equator ( the doldrums ) glorious. Be sure you go to Tahiti in the dry season it starts in May. Happy Sailing

On 10/13/2019 at 4:02 PM, Misty Morning said:

Elklemi,

You did not get rain since you were in dry season which runs from May/June to end of October in French Polynesia

I was in French Polynesia during dry season and still had it rain three times in nine days.