Rome to Civitavecchia

RockinRonny

(Stefano’s) Rome Cabs. We used them for all

of our transportation needs while in Rome. Airport-Hotel, Hotel-Port, Port-Airport. Excellent, courteous, prompt, consistent, and professional service every single time.

You can book online. They also offer the option to pre pay using pay pal which we did and simplified things further for us. They also offer customizable tours.

We were very grateful on the day our ship returned to Civitavecchia, delayed under pouring rain because we feared that we’d miss our flight home. Our driver tracked our ship’s late arrival and was waiting for us with umbrellas as we exited the cruise terminal. She quickly helped us with our luggage and into our awaiting car parked 10 feet away. Within 2-3 minutes, we were on our way to the airport. Thankfully we made our flight home, in part thanks to Rome Cabs excellent service.

I would use their services again in a heartbeat! 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

The other options include a shared shuttle, the train or the bus.

The train requires the ability to climb down and back up a full flight of stairs with your luggage at the Civitavecchia station, then either a one mile walk or the local bus to the port entrance.  At the port there is a free shuttle bus right to your ship.    The train takes between 50 minutes to one hour and twenty minutes, depending on the train and costs between 4,60 euro and 16 euro, plus two euro for the local bus to the port.

The public bus leaves from the Cornelia metro station in Rome and drops you off less than 500' from the port entrance.   It's the least expensive route (1,50 euro for the metro and 3,90 for the bus) and while the bus ride takes a few minutes longer than the train (between one hour, twenty five minutes to one hour, fifty minutes depending on the departure time) when you factor in the time to get the bus or walk from the train station to the port entrance the total time is the same or faster than the train.

17 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

The public bus leaves from the Cornelia metro station in Rome and drops you off less than 500' from the port entrance.   It's the least expensive route (1,50 euro for the metro and 3,90 for the bus) and while the bus ride takes a few minutes longer than the train (between one hour, twenty five minutes to one hour, fifty minutes depending on the departure time) when you factor in the time to get the bus or walk from the train station to the port entrance the total time is the same or faster than the train.

You also have to factor in getting to the Cornelia metro station (on Line A or the "red" line, past the Vatican). As metro stops often aren't handily located near hotels in the historic center, you'd have to either walk or take a taxi to a metro stop (elevators not always available), then manage your luggage on the metro to Cornelia (sometimes with a change of lines involved). Or you could take a taxi from your hotel to the Cornelia metro station.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

You also have to factor in getting to the Cornelia metro station (on Line A or the "red" line, past the Vatican).

Good point, the time to accomplish this step should be added to the total.  It's not for everyone, but it is a viable option.

On 10/12/2019 at 6:37 AM, Tapi said:

(Stefano’s) Rome Cabs. We used them for all

of our transportation needs while in Rome. Airport-Hotel, Hotel-Port, Port-Airport. Excellent, courteous, prompt, consistent, and professional service every single time.

You can book online. They also offer the option to pre pay using pay pal which we did and simplified things further for us. They also offer customizable tours.

We were very grateful on the day our ship returned to Civitavecchia, delayed under pouring rain because we feared that we’d miss our flight home. Our driver tracked our ship’s late arrival and was waiting for us with umbrellas as we exited the cruise terminal. She quickly helped us with our luggage and into our awaiting car parked 10 feet away. Within 2-3 minutes, we were on our way to the airport. Thankfully we made our flight home, in part thanks to Rome Cabs excellent service.

I would use their services again in a heartbeat! 

Do their cars take a family of 5? 

Last year in Denmark and UK, we got very mixed experience with taxi drivers. Some had no problem for us to squeeze in, some turned us away (which we totally understand), while others told us to get in but charged extra (eh).

6 hours ago, jennyumaa said:

Yes. They have cars of various sizes. We were a family of 4 with luggage, yet we were picked up every time in a small van that accommodated more, maybe 10-12 passengers. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 6:00 AM, jennyumaa said:

Last year in Denmark and UK, we got very mixed experience with taxi drivers. Some had no problem for us to squeeze in, some turned us away (which we totally understand), while others told us to get in but charged extra (eh).

We were 6 persons with luggage and had no problem with https://www.civitavecchiashuttleexpress.com/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, victory2020 said:

6am. It's a 2000 passenger ship arriving on Thanksgiving, which is not a holiday in Italy.

That should be do-able. I'd arrange a private car to pick you up at 7:30; that allows 1 hour to get to the airport and 3 hours (which is not too much, trust me) to navigate check-in security and getting to your gate.

(I am also flying out of FCO on Thanksgiving, btw, after spending 10 days in Rome. And yes, it's not a holiday. Thank goodness....:classic_cool:)

I always rely on shuttle services. The train and bus are definitely cheaper, but I guess I'm lazy and just don't feel like lugging my luggage around.😊 I've also used RomeCabs and they were wonderful. Picked up on time from our hotel in Rome. We shared a van with 2 others who were on our cruise and they needed to stop at an atm in Civi so the driver took us to a bank not too far from the port (we could see the ship) and then straight to the terminal. It was really painless. I plan on using them again in June.

• Like 1