Itinerary help—azamara beagle channel vs princess Cape Horn

zumbalover

I am trying to decide between two itineraries and need some help from those that have cruised South America.

I am currently booked on a Princess South America cruise from Buenos Aires to Santiago that goes around Cape Horn. Beverage package is included. There is an Azamara Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise that is about the same price and is almost the same ports of call, with the exception of Cape Horn. The Azamara cruise goes through the Beagle Channel instead. 

We have cruised Princess many times but have never done an Azamara cruise. Is there a big difference between going around the horn and doing the beagle channel? Which would be your preferred itinerary?  And how does Azamara compare to Princess? 

Your help is appreciated!

As far as I’m aware there isn’t a port at Cape Horn, you just sail around it. When you do you are out in open seas and these seas can be very rough indeed. We went around on a HAL ship and were very lucky, we had calm weather. Certainly the Beagle passage will be more sheltered. Probably more to see in the Beagle Channel too as there’s land on both sides. 

As far as the two cruise lines are concerned, I’ve never been on Princess, but we have done 9 Azamara cruises and are about to do our 10th. We love them. Small ship (690), great food, very friendly crew, officers and passengers, wonderful service. Drinks are included, but these are limited to certain brands (e.g Gordon’s Gin, Famous Grouse whisky, Smirnoff Vodka, several different beers, a choice of two red and two white wines plus a sparkling white wine and a rose.) Room service drinks aren’t included, but you can take drinks to your room yourself. You can take as much alcohol as you like onboard. Tips are included too, and you get a free evening excursion, called the Azamazing Evening. To find out more about Azamara, have a look at the sticky topic ‘Tips for Azamara Newbies’ in the Azamara forum.

I sailed from Buenos Aires to Santiago on Emerald Princess in March 2018. We sailed around Cape Horn which was amazing and also sailed along the Beagle Channel after Ushuaia. Sailing past the glaciers and seeing the beautiful scenery while cruising along the channel was a highlight of the cruise. I wrote a review which has a link in my signature if you are interested. I haven't sailed with Azamara however I have enjoyed every cruise I have done with Princess. Here are a few photos of the Beagle Channel. 

IMG20180308193250.thumb.jpg.ab30c6a93045a59874e15c67f0856487.jpg

IMG20180308195311.thumb.jpg.fc3322d91d3ef1f0722182d294c66f6d.jpg

IMG20180308195541.thumb.jpg.21d76f9bf0e103e7e6d684c65c1d25df.jpg

IMG20180308200002.thumb.jpg.01ae987f1e877fa913b733653118c1c2.jpg

• Like 1

I have cruised both lines, difference is AZ is more like visiting your friends house, relaxed, friendly, know what you want and are always available to help.

While Princess is good quality for cost it is impersonal, big ship less friendly and more rules for dress up.

Food a little higher in specialty restaurants on AZ dress code is more relaxed no formal eves.

Small AZ gets into ports that are small and often stays late or overnight.

• 2 weeks later...

I have sailed on both lines and also sailed on the Emerald Princess in March 2018 from Buenos Aires to Los Angeles. I couldn't imagine going all that way and not going around Cape Horn. But as Purple Traveller above pointed out, we were lucky to experience both the horn and the Beagle Channel. 

Thanks for your replies. Purple Traveller, your photos are stunning! We are just off the Emerald Princess in the mediterranean. I will definitely check out your review.

We have decided to stick with Princess for the South America cruise. While we would love to try Azamara, and the price was actually a little less than Princess, the deciding factors were the location/size of the cabin--Princess mini-suite mid-ship vs. small Azamara balcony cabin at the very front of the ship, going around Cape Horn and we have a Premium beverage package on Princess. With the number of sea days, we'd prefer the larger cabin and mid-ship location. It sounds like Princess goes through a bit of the Beagle Channel as well as around Cape Horn, so we get a bit of both. 

I appreciate everyone's response!

• Like 1