3 ports missed due to weather, arrives early and Windstar refuses compensation

buchbim

1 hour ago, Chipshot from Michigan said:

That's an epic cruise, and I'm almost envious.  On which line?

We did a peninsula visit with Lindblad in December 2013.  Stepping on the ice (a totally different experience than doing so in Michigan!) is fairly likely at that time of year, and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

I do wonder whether Windstar will pursue that market.  They're already in Alaska, so providing their clientele with the "southern exposure" may make sense.

National Geographic/Lindblad.  Due to the new requirements for ships sailing Antarctica and the Arctic Circle starting next year, I highly doubt Windstar will pursue that market.  The ships need to be purpose built at that point.  The drive by cruises are going to come to a screeching halt as well.

27 minutes ago, ducklite said:

National Geographic/Lindblad.  Due to the new requirements for ships sailing Antarctica and the Arctic Circle starting next year, I highly doubt Windstar will pursue that market.  The ships need to be purpose built at that point.  The drive by cruises are going to come to a screeching halt as well.

A lot of existing vessels will no longer be able to sail those waters, perhaps creating opportunity for entry by lines willing to risk investing.  But I think you're right that Windstar will likely not be among them.  I can see, however, its forming a partnership to ensure its loyal guests will continue to enjoy the Windstar touch at high latitudes.  I am all for the cessation of drive-by cruises.  Have you found Trip Advisor's Antarctic Adventures forum?

10 hours ago, Chipshot from Michigan said:

A lot of existing vessels will no longer be able to sail those waters, perhaps creating opportunity for entry by lines willing to risk investing.  But I think you're right that Windstar will likely not be among them.  I can see, however, its forming a partnership to ensure its loyal guests will continue to enjoy the Windstar touch at high latitudes.  I am all for the cessation of drive-by cruises.  Have you found Trip Advisor's Antarctic Adventures forum?

Yes, unfortunately there isn't a ton of activity there.

Perhaps Windstar will partner with someone, but I believe that all of the ships that would be of the quality that Windstar would demand that will be able to go there are spoken for and/or owned by competitors.  Building polar class ships is a very expensive proposition.  I"m not saying they'll never do so, but it seems there are many under-served parts of the earth that would be more in the wheelhouse for them in their current status quo.

10 hours ago, Chipshot from Michigan said:

Syracuse is half of the answer why Rochester (where I grew up) is so windy.

You'll have plenty of sun and snow in Antarctica.  Are you planning to polar plunge?

I imagine my husband will consider it, but I get chest pains thinking about it, so no, I'll stay warm and dry.  🙂

16 hours ago, ducklite said:

can't imagine the disappointment of sailing the Drake and never stepping on the ice.  

Projecting your preferences onto others is bad form.  We crossed Drake's Passage in February, did not step on the ice, and were not only not disappointed, but quite happy with the cruise.

1 hour ago, marinaro44 said:

Projecting your preferences onto others is bad form.  We crossed Drake's Passage in February, did not step on the ice, and were not only not disappointed, but quite happy with the cruise.

It was an opinion.  We are allowed to have them on these forums.

Back to the issues raised by the OP. I really don’t know what some people except. 

You chose to book a cruise at a time of year the  the weather is known to be unpredictable and often downright hazardous. 5 minutes on Google turns up all sorts of previous reports. You clicked though and accepted the WS terms and conditions. 

at the same time as you we, on the Breeze, missed 2 ports completely and had one substitute.  I observed no one complaining other than a soft sigh when the captain came on the PA to say “I have another important destination announcement” after which we all resumed eating our lunch and then went to the excursion desk to rebook tours. We had one independent tour and reception called the operator for us so we could revise plans. What more were you expecting?

the captain salvaged as much of the trip as possible under constantly changing conditions and even worked to add substitute ports where possible. A couple of the replacement ones are fantastic. BTW. 

Meanwhile, the WS crew continued to be paid, I assume you ate the chow they WS paid for, they need to pay for the fuel. The only truly saved expenses were the port fees when one was totally missed and you were compensated for those fees. 

Edited by milepig

11 hours ago, ducklite said:

I imagine my husband will consider it, but I get chest pains thinking about it, so no, I'll stay warm and dry.  🙂

My children and I are "bi-polar" (plunged both north and south) while my wife/their mother has a certificate documenting her good sense.  I'm glad I did it.  Not sure I'll do it again, but I don't need to decide that now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ducklite said:

"Have you found Trip Advisor's Antarctic Adventures forum?"

Yes, unfortunately there isn't a ton of activity there.

Don't be shy about trying.  There haven't been many (if any) posts by people planning to sail on the Endurance, so I expect there will be interest.  I, for one, would love to read a trip report after you return and catch your breath.

I generally agree with most responses here, but the OP did say they disembarked one day early. I don’t remember if that is in the Terms and Conditions, but I think it calls for a credit on a future cruise, if not a refund. The amount should be related to the actual payment made  for the cruise, divided by the number of days or nights.

1 hour ago, CruiseOrLand said:

I generally agree with most responses here, but the OP did say they disembarked one day early. I don’t remember if that is in the Terms and Conditions, but I think it calls for a credit on a future cruise, if not a refund. The amount should be related to the actual payment made  for the cruise, divided by the number of days or nights.

I believe there was a post that they arrived a day early but disembarkation was the next, making it one of those overnight times, like when you arrive back in Papeete one evening and disembark the next day. Not sure how that factors in. 

• Like 1

I was on board, and we did arrive in Reykjavik one day earlier than scheduled.  We had the day for sightseeing and tours, slept aboard, and disembarked as scheduled the following morning - so they did in fact feed and shelter us for the agreed number of nights.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carolfay said:

I was on board, and we did arrive in Reykjavik one day earlier than scheduled.  We had the day for sightseeing and tours, slept aboard, and disembarked as scheduled the following morning - so they did in fact feed and shelter us for the agreed number of nights.

So it doesn't sound like there was any additional costs, you weren't tossed off the ship when it arrived in port.  Given that ,I don't see where there is anything additional owed to the OP.  It sounds like you agree. 

It's unfortunate when cruises have to miss ports, but sometimes it simply can't be avoided due to circumstances far beyond the cruise line control.  Wars, volcanoes, hurricanes--does anyone really want to sail into any of that?  

1 hour ago, ducklite said:

So it doesn't sound like there was any additional costs, you weren't tossed off the ship when it arrived in port.  Given that ,I don't see where there is anything additional owed to the OP.  It sounds like you agree. 

It's unfortunate when cruises have to miss ports, but sometimes it simply can't be avoided due to circumstances far beyond the cruise line control.  Wars, volcanoes, hurricanes--does anyone really want to sail into any of that?  

I wonder what will happen to the itineraries that include Turkey if these conflicts are not resolved by next summer.

35 minutes ago, ridethetide said:

I wonder what will happen to the itineraries that include Turkey if these conflicts are not resolved by next summer.

They will most likely be either cancelled or severely rerouted.  If I had a booking on one of those sailings I'd have a back up plan and be expecting the worst and hoping for the best.