sol y mar

nicoleslp

15 hours ago, nicoleslp said:

Any reviews on the sol y mar beach excursion? My family and I are debating between this excursion or going to bananarama

Have you tried the search engine for this forum? There have been a few (not many) threads about Sol y Mar. Here is the  main one I started prior to my visit last year.

If you have any specific questions I will try and help.

We have been to bananarama before and liked it. Thought it might be fun to try something new but one of the posts I read said that the beach is full of shells and you have to wear water shoes. c-leg 5, what was your experience with Sol y mar?

5 minutes ago, nicoleslp said:

We have been to bananarama before and liked it. Thought it might be fun to try something new but one of the posts I read said that the beach is full of shells and you have to wear water shoes. c-leg 5, what was your experience with Sol y mar?

I haven’t been to Bananarama but I have been briefly to West Bay.  I think it depends what type of day you are looking for, who is in your group (ages/mobility) and what you are wanting to do.

It has been nearly 12 months since we were there - it was fairly new with not many reviews when we went and I don’t know if it has become more popular since then.We were looking for a quiet beach day so for us it was fine - we appreciated the good service, space to ourselves and no vendors to hassle us. I probably mentioned the sea shells and water shoes but keep in mind I am a wimp and generally wear shoes into the ocean! We liked the convenience from Coxen Hole - very short ride compared to hassle and distance to West Bay/End. For me the biggest disadvantage was lack of shade but if you read my review we sorted that out and I would move earlier next time.  We took the transport only option from the ship and, for us, I would do that package again but probably through Bodden, (which wasn’t available when we went). Food and drink are on the higher end of beach bars but there were “specials” on a blackboard. 

I am not a “sand snob”, so a beach is a beach to me. Since West Bay is so popular I would guess the “sand” there is much nicer. If there are ardent snorkelers in your party I am sure that is much better at West Bay - at least from the beach but there was snorkeling available at Sol y Mar and I think I have read they may take you out by boat.  There were other activities available for a charge.

I would certainly return. The facilities were clean. We liked that it wasnt busy like West End and it was close to the port. 

“I would certainly return. The facilities were clean. We liked that it wasnt busy like West End and it was close to the port.”

Edit:Sorry-  should be West Bay.

Hope you enjoy your day and report back how its doing. Recent TripAdvisor reviews still look good.

• 2 months later...