Deck Chair Saving

bryanem

5 hours ago, doones2 said:

It’s not just Royal, NCL and Celebrity have the same problem.  Worse is the people that save a row of seats at a show while announcement is being made about no seat saving.  Saw it last week on Allure

That makes for a funny pre-show entertainment watching the theater chair hog frantically trying to stop others from taking the chairs they are trying to save.  

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We were on the Ovation recently and had a hard time finding chairs in the Solarium.  We ended up with 2 chairs by the doors, which isn't the best location.  We sat and watched many chairs unused but saved.  There were a few that someone complained about to the pool attendants.  They then put post-its on the back of the chairs noting the current time.  After the 30 minutes, when the same person that complained called them back, the pool attendants moved the belongings off the chairs so they could be used by others.  We also watched the people come back much later shocked that their belongings were gone.  I made a comment to my husband that I was going to bring post-its on my next cruise to tag the chairs myself with the time.  

We did notice a pile of stuff by the towel counter that was marked as removed from unused chairs, including multiple boxes of cereal, bowls and bananas from the Windjammer.  Wonder why those people did not claim their cereal and bananas.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MightyMike said:

Imagine a cruise where no one saved chairs more than to get a drink or go to the bathroom or go back to the room to get something. Imagine how everyone would easily be able to find a chair whenever they walked up to the pool deck. Imagine how happy everyone would be when they realized that there really are enough chairs for everyone.

Reminds me of flying to somewhere in Germany several years ago where there was a line on the floor about 3 feet away from the baggage carousel.  Everyone politely waited behind the line and everyone had a great view of all suitcases on the carousel.  If you saw your case, you stepped forward to grab it, and then stepped back out of the way.  No jostling for position and everyone easily found their luggage.  

• Like 2

When my kids were younger, they would only stay at the pool for about 30 min.  It was really irritating to find many chairs by the pool occupied by things other then people.  We don't require more then 2 loungers and sometimes only 1 for our family of 5 and wouldn't be there long anyway.  We sat on the edge of the pool and left when the kids were done swimming, but it would have been nice to sit in a chair for that 30 min.  They are teens now so we don't need to hover over them by the pool anymore. It would be nice if people would vacate their chairs for others to use.  I understand a trip to the bathroom, get a drink or food to bring back to your chair or fetching an item from your cabin, but holding chairs for when you come back from whatever other activity you are doing is selfish.

Our last cruise was on Carnival.  My husband and I used the hot tub for a short time late at night a few times until the attendant told us he had to close it.  While we were there, we saw people coming up to the deck to place towels and other things to reserve their spot for the morning.  It was 11pm.  I visited the solarium in the day time and honestly, it wasn't quiet.  It was possibly the most crowded area on the ship.  There were no seats available, the hot tubs were always completely full and when I went to the solarium salad bar, I heard more complaints waiting in line then I did the entire rest of the cruise.  I know this can very from ship to ship, but  I don't understand why someone would find that type of environment relaxing and the need to reserve a space when there were so many other areas of the ship that were quiet.  I found it quite ridiculous.

5 hours ago, sjb317 said:

Chair hogs were alive and well on Harmony. My favorite was the couple who had  8x10 laminated pictures of themselves clipped to the top of their chairs. 😂😂😂

It was also rampant at the ice show and theater.

Sherri🙂

If both chairs were unoccupied for over 30 minutes and I could not see them in the pool or nearby whirlpool.  Those pictures and clips would have been deposited in the nearest garbage can.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, shopaholic6 said:

You don’t seem to see the irony in your comment! ‘It does upset me a little that I am there around 7am, yet the best of the best chairs are taken with no one in sight.  I get good chairs so i am not that disappointed, but a little irritated.‘ Did you ever stop to think about the people who might want to sit, yes, actually SIT, on the ‘good’ chairs you are saving for your family when they deign to turn up a few hours later? 😂😂Maybe Royal should start taking  seapass numbers and charge cardholders if no one is there. Number the chairs and give out tags for the chair at the towel station. If you sign out a chair and don’t use it, you cannot sign out another one that day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shopaholic6 said:

Brilliant idea - they may as well be leaving $25 on each sunbed ...

exactly, I'm entirely unsympathetic to people to reserve chairs for hours and hours. I have a family, if we need to do something one of us stays with the chairs while the others go get food, use restroom, etc..... but if we know were all going to be gone longer than 30 min we pack up our area and leave. It's just common courtesy and respect.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm not a sunbather, I'm very sensitive to sun but I do like to sit in those big clam shell thingys. Fortunately you can find them in different locations that aren't considered premium locations and haven't had a problem when I have been looking.

Unless you are actually swimming I have never understood the attraction of seating by the pool.  It certainly isn't peaceful and it certainly isn't conducive to reading and relaxing.

Beach pool by Oasis is nice. I like to sit in the water in front of the chairs.

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Agreed, just go to Guest Services and get it reversed

Exactly.

A few years back someone in my group tossed about 5 towels in a dirty linen bin a cleaning person had out in the hallway.

I just went down to GS and told them what happened.  They  reset the count.

If you can't negotiate your way out of a towel charge,  you deserve to pay for them......

Edited by matj2000
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Exactly.

A few years back someone in my group tossed about 5 towels in a dirty linen bin a cleaning person had out in the hallway.

I just went down to GS and told them what happened.  They  reset the count.

If you can't negotiate your way out of a towel charge,  you deserve to pay for them......

If you play by the rules you don't have to worry about working the system.  Not that difficult.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, swmonty said:

Maybe I am in the middle of the chair saving group?  I do reserve chairs for my family, but I stay with them (except for a couple runs for coffee refills).

I am an early bird, so I go down to the pool early and reserve 4 chairs (for my group of 8 people) and have a cup of coffee and my family joins a few hours later.  I enjoy the peace and quite early in the morning at the pool.  

It does upset me a little that I am there around 7am, yet the best of the best chairs are taken with no one in sight.  I get good chairs so i am not that disappointed, but a little irritated.  

Im sorry but you are part of the problem, you are one person, yet you save chairs for 3 others that won't arrive for several hours.  That means 3 people who would like to enjoy the pool have to search, while 3 others sleep in etc.  That is very unfair.

I take care of it myself.  I learned how by complaining to crew members until I found the right person.  I was told to get a crew member to remove the items left on the chair and sit myself down.  If the people come back, direct them to a crew member.

We have done this several times and one time things got ugly, we were called some unflattering names, but crew members and a few other passengers stood up for us.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TinkBellaMom said:

Im sorry but you are part of the problem, you are one person, yet you save chairs for 3 others that won't arrive for several hours.  That means 3 people who would like to enjoy the pool have to search, while 3 others sleep in etc.  That is very unfair.

I take care of it myself.  I learned how by complaining to crew members until I found the right person.  I was told to get a crew member to remove the items left on the chair and sit myself down.  If the people come back, direct them to a crew member.

We have done this several times and one time things got ugly, we were called some unflattering names, but crew members and a few other passengers stood up for us.

I highly doubt you are not going to take one of the 3 chairs from the person who is sitting there watching them......

Wait a minute. Reading through this thread,  I think there might be a CC  first. 

It appears that a CHOG is complaining that other CHOGs are keeping them from Chogging the choicest seats.   

• Like 11
  • Haha 4

45 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Wait a minute. Reading through this thread,  I think there might be a CC  first. 

It appears that a CHOG is complaining that other CHOGs are keeping them from Chogging the choicest seats.   

Yes. I thought the same.

It's a bit like a shoplifter complaining that the things they wanted to steal were out of stock...

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

My favorite was the guy on Oasis (Easter week) who "saved" 8 chairs in a prime location and then, apparently not wanting to look like a CHOG, slunk back to a table behind the saved chairs to stand guard.  Every time people would stop in front of the chairs and consider whether the chairs were actually taken, he would slither out of the shadows to let them know the chairs were taken.  No one, including him, sat in those chairs for 2.5 hours.

Also on Oasis, I sat in my one chair, which was next to another chair that had a life jacket laying on the end of it from the kids pool area (looked like someone just haphazardly tossed it there).  I didn't touch the jacket and no one asked me if the chair was occupied.  It stayed empty for the whole time I was there.  Finally someone asked me about it and a family of four ended up sharing the chair. 

The 3 of us go to the pool to use the pool.  Haven't saved a chair and come back hours later ever though.  You can all have my chair if Royal would provide more cubbies or lockers to put my stuff in while in the pool.