Monarch Of The Seas Captian Found Dead

This has been discussed on the "New Monarch" thread. Of course, Captain Klausen's death is so sad, but I really have to question the report of his age. I sailed on the Monarch, in December, when he was the Captain. In his bio, it reports that he joined RCI in 1985 after "sailing on costal express vessels along the coast of Norway as well as serving in the military for some years." Also, on the other thread, a poster with some knowledge indicated that Captain Klausen came out of retirement to step in for another Captain, who was called back home to be with his ailing father. Still, it is sad ... regardless.

Apparently there were a lot of problems with the Monarch, as she came out of a 10-day dry dock (sewage issues) and the passengers were greeted with the coroner's vehicle at port.

Lorna - did you meet him to guess his age. I know in Norway if they don't go to high school or technical school, they can into the military very early and all men are required to serve 1 year in the military. Not to sound harsh, but I would prefer if he were older and had been in retirement. It always seems more tragic to me when a relatively young person dies.

Melynne,

I didn't go to the Captain's Reception. The photo, on the "Behind the Name Tags," makes him look young. But, I saw a photo of him on one of the posts and I'm guessing the "Tags" photo was from when he started at RCI (20 years ago). SingBill was the one who said that he told them he was called out of retirement to take the ship. Rrubrick was the one who said that he was helping out because Capt. Lindgren needed to go home to be with his dying father. They should be able to answer your question about the age.

The bio does say that he "went to sea at the age of 16," but it also says that he obtained his Masters license in 1997 and finished the Merchant Marine Academy in Tromso in 1994. That part makes it sound like he was younger. Maybe his retirement was similar to another captain I know of, who left to do some local stuff for awhile ... :rolleyes:

what? were on board right now and they have said nothing?

Who is the Captain? Have you noticed any problems w/ sewage? Have a great cruise!!!!

PS: The Captain died on the last cruise. I don't think there would be a reason to make an announcement on a subsequent cruise.

I'm sure that Rick will fill in the details, but it's my understanding that Capt. Klausen was the emergency replacement for Captain Lindergen (probably got that spelling wrong), who had to go home to be with his dying father, but will be back ASAP. Check the "New Monarch" thread ...

Captain Jorn Klausen was the reliever for Captain Hakan Lindergren. What that means is that the 2 captains rotated on a regular basis. Captain Klausen had just finished his regular 2-1/2 month tour on the Monarch and was headed home when he was called back on an emergency basis to help out for another month so Captain Lindergren could take care of a needed faimily matter.

So, he was not brought out of retirement for the one month period. That's all of the details that I can give. Hope it makes sense!

Rick

Melynne,

I didn't go to the Captain's Reception. The photo, on the "Behind the Name Tags," makes him look young. But, I saw a photo of him on one of the posts and I'm guessing the "Tags" photo was from when he started at RCI (20 years ago). SingBill was the one who said that he told them he was called out of retirement to take the ship. Rrubrick was the one who said that he was helping out because Capt. Lindgren needed to go home to be with his dying father. They should be able to answer your question about the age.

The bio does say that he "went to sea at the age of 16," but it also says that he obtained his Masters license in 1997 and finished the Merchant Marine Academy in Tromso in 1994. That part makes it sound like he was younger. Maybe his retirement was similar to another captain I know of, who left to do some local stuff for awhile ... :rolleyes:

Just wanted to clarify my earlier statement. I just checked my Cruise Compass and the Captain we had on the January 13, 2006 Monarch sailing was Rolv Chr Olaussen. He might have been joking but he did say that he was called out of retirement. I may not be a good judge of a persons age, but he did appear to be retirement age.

Sorry if I caused any confusion or misrepresented myself

Lorna - his age might be correct since he would have to have a certain number of year's experience before they are sent to the Merchant Marine Academy. It is my understanding that they have 1 year there to get the Captain's degree. He would have to have a Captain's certification before being appointed as a staff captain since the staff captain has a lot of the navigational duties of the ship. I am just paralleling his age and experience with a couple of captains I've known. They both got their captain's license in their early thirties and had been at sea since 16.

I wish the title wasn't quite so harsh :(

Hopefully the man passed away quietly and wasn't in any pain. Does anyone know what actually happened? Was he sick? I feel sorry for his family.

Though I never sailed with him, I am sure he will be missed.

Sad day for all cruisers and RCCL. :(

Calm down woman. Suspects as in medical conditions like heart attacks or stroke etc. Those are killers too you know. I know your a lawyer but get your mind outta the court room once in a while lol.

You're right. Sorry for the over reaction. :o It's just that every time I turn around, we hear about some crime on RCI cruises. Take a look at the board, now. There's something about an employee arrested for rape ... and then there's the whole "missing/murdered pax" stories.

PS: You may not know, but in law school, they actually remove your brain and transplant it with something called a "legal mind." Ruins you, for the rest of your life;)

I brought up the name of Captain Klausen, as someone told this board that Klausen was running the ship afeter drydock and died.

My knowledge is only about Captain Lindergren, and his family. If another Captain was called in to oversee the drydock and the last cruise, I would not know.

As LadyLawyer says, let's not start rumors. So with that being said, I retract anything about Captain Klausen, as I do not know, of first hand knowledge, who the reliever was since January 12th. I was only going on what other CC members were saying that had traveled on the first cruise of the Monarch since her drydock.

I will inquire, and when I know, I will give a factual report.

Rick

Archived