Earliest Flight out of Miami

bclay

How do you feel about a 10:30am flight out of Miami post cruise.  I'm assuming we can self carry off the ship and timing is ok.  I also think the quickest way to the airport is Uber.  Thoughts?

51 minutes ago, bclay said:

How do you feel about a 10:30am flight out of Miami post cruise.  I'm assuming we can self carry off the ship and timing is ok.  I also think the quickest way to the airport is Uber.  Thoughts?

Which ship?

1 hour ago, bclay said:

Empress of the Seas.  Says we get into port at 7am

(I am assuming you are sailing and flying from Miami...not Ft Lauderdale)

A 7:00am arrival means you won’t get off the ship until at best 7:30 or so....

If you do self assist and are one of the first off you “should” be okay.  But delay of the ship....lot of ships in port which means a lot of people at the airport....and all bets are off.

21 hours ago, LHT28 said:

What time does customs/Immigration arrive ? 😉

We have been schedule to dock at 7 & we were still in the channel @ 7:30 am   on a small ship

What is your plan B ?

It is Miami.  My plan B is either pay for a later flight or rent a car and drive 10 hours.    I'm currently thinking it's worth the risk.    We're on a small ship also.    

1 hour ago, bclay said:

It is Miami.  My plan B is either pay for a later flight or rent a car and drive 10 hours.    I'm currently thinking it's worth the risk.    We're on a small ship also.    

Fingers crossed they have space on a later flight  😉

2 hours ago, bclay said:

The size of your ship doesn't really matter.

It's everything and everyone else.

For a 10:30 flight you need to be at MIA by 9:00 - and 8:30 is better.  Even on a weekday the trip from POM to MIA will take under 30 minutes - weekends will usually be closer to 15.  That translates into off the ship, with bag, and clear of customs/immigration by about 8:00; if you can do this you should be okay.  Take the first taxi in line for the $27+tip flat rate fare and go straight to MIA - don't wait for Uber to save $10, and you don't have time to wait for a shared shuttle to fill up.  

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:22 AM, Keith1010 said:

10:30 is on the cusp.

Two other questions.  What is the date of your cruise and do you have TSA?

Keith

We usually have TSA (haven't paid for it but usually get it), but not always.  we return to Miami on Sunday 1/19

7 minutes ago, bclay said:

We usually have TSA (haven't paid for it but usually get it), but not always.  we return to Miami on Sunday 1/19

I assume you are getting TSA from your airline based on what you say.  That would be a plus.

The other plus is your willingness to drive.  I say this because just saying you would take a later flight is not a good plan if you don't have a double booking on it and if it is full.

It will be a busy day at the port (seven ships) and also at the airport as January is part of the busy season for Miami International Airport.

Me I wouldn't do it because I don't like to spend part of the cruise worrying and I wouldn't want to drive 10 hours.

If on the other hand you don't mind stress, you realize there is some risk if the ship gets in late or something else happens and would rent a car than you might do this.  If you go with this plan I would reserve a car so you have something just in case and cancel it if all is well while you are at the airport.  In other words book the car for 11:30 AM pickup at the airport.  And be sure to be in the first group off the ship.

Keith

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I assume you are getting TSA from your airline based on what you say.  That would be a plus.

The other plus is your willingness to drive.  I say this because just saying you would take a later flight is not a good plan if you don't have a double booking on it and if it is full.

It will be a busy day at the port (seven ships) and also at the airport as January is part of the busy season for Miami International Airport.

Me I wouldn't do it because I don't like to spend part of the cruise worrying and I wouldn't want to drive 10 hours.

If on the other hand you don't mind stress, you realize there is some risk if the ship gets in late or something else happens and would rent a car than you might do this.  If you go with this plan I would reserve a car so you have something just in case and cancel it if all is well while you are at the airport.  In other words book the car for 11:30 AM pickup at the airport.  And be sure to be in the first group off the ship.

Keith

good suggestion on booking the car.  Thanks!