Do men always wear a white shirt on formal nights?

Tikka234

5 minutes ago, Tikka234 said:

Hi as the title says do men wear a white shirt on formal nights ? Or can they wear a coloured shirt and tie?

Thanks

No.

On our last cruise I had a white shirt on 1 formal night and a Lilac shirt the next formal night.

Wear what ever colour you want, you will see an array of multi coloured shirts and ties.

Although technically for a true black tie evening with a tux it should only ever be white shirt and black tie, coloured bow ties are a no no.

P&O formal nights are just a bit of fun, so go as colourful as you can 😁

• Like 1

Hubby does normally wear a white shirt with his Dinner Jacket ( why is everyone using the American Tux now ) on a black and white night he wears a black bow tie but on other formal nights he wears a coloured bow tie matching my dress  or his tartan one. 

On our last couple of cruises I would say over 95% of men, if not more, wore white shirts on formal evenings.  Some wore coloured bow ties, again a few.  If you don't mind being different from the majority then by all means wear another colour.  No one will say anything.

Thanks for all your replies this will be our 4th cruise and longest (14 nights) we have never done formal, dressed smarter in evenings and used the buffet. Haven't really took a lot of notice what the men wear just a lot of black and white. I will pack a white shirt and some colour ones which I think he would prefer. I'm busy getting myself sorted first, not sailing until May. Thanks again 

Most will wear white shirt & most of them will have a black bow tie. I’m a bit conservative (with a small C) so stick to white. 

Many do go for a coloured bow and some will have matching a cummerbund ( although these seem to be losing popularity these days)

It became trendy a few years ago to wear a black silk non bow tie with DJ but again (thankfully-only my personal opinion) that is losing popularity.

The fashion of untying the bow (or taking off the pre-knotted and swapping it with an unknotted) and allowing the ends to dangle around the neck (unfortunately) shows little sign of losing popularity (wear it or take it off!) - I guess it’s just a bit of fun!

A good number will wear a dark suit and tie and look very smart also. 

The important thing is to feel comfortable in your choice. No one will judge (unless you untie that bow😂)