Poor treatment of Platinum Cruisers!

My husband and I are cruising the Allure in January  I called to get the onboard spending money they are now offering with the "Great Escape Sale"  I was told because I'm Platinum I would need to give up my balcony discount in order to get it.  Our friends cruising with us are not Platinum and got it with no problem.  What's the point of being Platinum if you're denied benefits given to new passengers!  Our friends received $75 and after giving up our $68 discount we received $7 After all the cruising we've done with them I feel it is very unfair!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Being Platinum is not a real status.

It is more of a "Feel Good" status to get you to keep booking more cruises.

Don't fall for the silly sale of the week, you are most likely not going be able to use it,

Almost every discount knocks out another one.

I have not been able to use the "balcony discount" in  years because my bookings are usually part of a group and are already discounted.    So they say....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Sorry to say, that is just the way the C&A balcony discount works and always has. It is not combinable with many promotions, including most OBC promotions. You have to choose which promotion works out better for you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I definitely understand what you’re saying!  I had no idea I had even gotten a discount as it didn’t show. At least on Princess I get 100 hours of free internet!  Three days into this cruise on Royal I will become Emerald, big deal!!!

7 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Being Platinum is not a real status.

It is more of a "Feel Good" status to get you to keep booking more cruises.

Don't fall for the silly sale of the week, you are most likely not going be able to use it,

Almost every discount knocks out another one.

I have not been able to use the "balcony discount" in  years because my bookings are usually part of a group and are already discounted.    So they say....

So what you are saying is you are either a first time cruiser or a nobody until you reach Diamond, at least.   If you want to talk about a useless "status"- it's Emerald. We will "level up" to Emerald after this cruise but will get nothing for it. That's the biggest "feel good" useless status ever. LOL 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, legaljen1969 said:

So what you are saying is you are either a first time cruiser or a nobody until you reach Diamond, at least.   If you want to talk about a useless "status"- it's Emerald. We will "level up" to Emerald after this cruise but will get nothing for it. That's the biggest "feel good" useless status ever. LOL 

Emerald gets you a welcome back drink (water or soft drink). That was about the only thing worthwhile. 

• Haha 1

Just now, blackshirt said:

Emerald gets you a welcome back drink (water or soft drink). That was about the only thing worthwhile. 

Well that's true.  That's all it gets you.   Oh well. For the price everything costs, at least you get one soda or water. 

18 minutes ago, knutsonl said:

I definitely understand what you’re saying!  I had no idea I had even gotten a discount as it didn’t show. At least on Princess I get 100 hours of free internet!  Three days into this cruise on Royal I will become Emerald, big deal!!!

No you won't. You won't become Emerald until after you complete the cruise.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, legaljen1969 said:

Diamond and up get some free drinks etc, but we get screwed like everyone else on balcony discounts.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We have never booked thinking of having a discount in any way.  As a matter of fact, we will be D during our Liberty cruise in March but the next 3 cruises we have booked will be in a Star Class suite so we will not even have any of the benefits associated with D.  Reminds me of cable companies.  You have the service so you pay for the extras (football, baseball, or whatever sport you like) while the new people get it for free.  Just how business works I guess.

I'm currently emerald and on our last cruise in may they had a tray with a bunch of cookies and mini deserts as well as 4 bottles of water in the cabin when we arrived.  That was our free treat. I thought it was nice.  Plus you do get discounts and bogo on wine.  I will be diamond after our january cruise and looking forward to the lounge for free cocktails before dinner.

I am wondering what type of specialty coffees are available in the lounge.  I always buy the cafe card online but if they have latte or capuccino in the lounge anytime of day I may not have to get cafe card.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

Reminds me of cable companies.  You have the service so you pay for the extras (football, baseball, or whatever sport you like) while the new people get it for free.  Just how business works I guess.

Yes you are so right.  There is no loyalty benefit anymore.  The new folks get it good and the ones who have spent time and money get screwed.   Oh well, cruising is still more fun than working so there's that.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

We have never booked thinking of having a discount in any way.  As a matter of fact, we will be D during our Liberty cruise in March but the next 3 cruises we have booked will be in a Star Class suite so we will not even have any of the benefits associated with D.  Reminds me of cable companies.  You have the service so you pay for the extras (football, baseball, or whatever sport you like) while the new people get it for free.  Just how business works I guess.

I am not Diamond so I don't have a complete understanding of all of your benefits (and yes I know I could look them up) and I can't afford to cruise Star Class- but do you LOSE benefits associated with Diamond if you cruise in a Star Class suite or do you have similar benefits but they just come as a result of your Star Class suite instead of falling under Diamond?  

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I'm currently emerald and on our last cruise in may they had a tray with a bunch of cookies and mini deserts as well as 4 bottles of water in the cabin when we arrived.  That was our free treat. I thought it was nice.  Plus you do get discounts and bogo on wine.  I will be diamond after our january cruise and looking forward to the lounge for free cocktails before dinner.

I am wondering what type of specialty coffees are available in the lounge.  I always buy the cafe card online but if they have latte or capuccino in the lounge anytime of day I may not have to get cafe card.

You get BOGO on wine?    By the glass? Bottle?  That's news to me.  I like this news but it's something I didn't know.  
Yes, I always enjoy the loyalty discounts I do receive.   

5 hours ago, knutsonl said:

My husband and I are cruising the Allure in January  I called to get the onboard spending money they are now offering with the "Great Escape Sale"  I was told because I'm Platinum I would need to give up my balcony discount in order to get it.  Our friends cruising with us are not Platinum and got it with no problem.  What's the point of being Platinum if you're denied benefits given to new passengers!  Our friends received $75 and after giving up our $68 discount we received $7 After all the cruising we've done with them I feel it is very unfair!

They need to change or remove it from their benefit listing because it’s becoming WORTHLESS. Most cruises I have booked the senior, resident, non-refundable deposit is the same pricing as my past passenger discount (diamond plus discount). 

1 hour ago, legaljen1969 said:

I am not Diamond so I don't have a complete understanding of all of your benefits (and yes I know I could look them up) and I can't afford to cruise Star Class- but do you LOSE benefits associated with Diamond if you cruise in a Star Class suite or do you have similar benefits but they just come as a result of your Star Class suite instead of falling under Diamond?  

No,  you don't lose the benefits.   Some become meaningless with Star Class, even Sky Class. We're D+.  For us the biggest benefit is the nightly Happy Hour.  With Star Class you have not only the Suite Lounge, but  free Drink Packages and unlimited specialty dining, etc. With Sky Class you get the Suite Lounge. The Suite Lounge is better than the Diamond Lounge, but still has Happy Hour for free drinks and appetizers, like the Diamond Lounge.  But as Diamond you still get all your Diamond perks, the Balcony discount, use of the Diamond Lounge if you wish, 3 drinks per day loaded on your Seapass.  Suite guests don't get those.  

But you never lose your benefits. 

The complaints about not being able to take advantage of the Balcony Discount is because other discount programs can't be combined. Some can.  I don't get all the whining.  I simply price the cruise with the program they're running and price it using my Balcony Discount.  I then choose which rate is best.  Sometimes it turns out the Diamond Plus Balcony Discount is better, sometimes not.  But I still get all the other Diamond Plus perks, priority boarding and debarkation, use of the lounge, the nightly Happy Hour, etc.  
Honestly, RCCL's loyalty program is vastly better compared to other cruise lines.  No other line that I know of gives free drinks for 3 hours or so every night.  As to the in cabin amenities, as D+ we get 2 free bottles of wine, 2 beers, 2 waters, cookies,  chocolate strawberries.  You sure won't hear me complaining. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

No,  you don't lose the benefits.   Some become meaningless with Star Class, even Sky Class. We're D+.  For us the biggest benefit is the nightly Happy Hour.  With Star Class you have not only the Suite Lounge, but  free Drink Packages and unlimited specialty dining, etc. With Sky Class you get the Suite Lounge. The Suite Lounge is better than the Diamond Lounge, but still has Happy Hour for free drinks and appetizers, like the Diamond Lounge.  But as Diamond you still get all your Diamond perks, the Balcony discount, use of the Diamond Lounge if you wish, 3 drinks per day loaded on your Seapass.  Suite guests don't get those.  

But you never lose your benefits. 

The complaints about not being able to take advantage of the Balcony Discount is because other discount programs can't be combined. Some can.  I don't get all the whining.  I simply price the cruise with the program they're running and price it using my Balcony Discount.  I then choose which rate is best.  Sometimes it turns out the Diamond Plus Balcony Discount is better, sometimes not.  But I still get all the other Diamond Plus perks, priority boarding and debarkation, use of the lounge, the nightly Happy Hour, etc.  
Honestly, RCCL's loyalty program is vastly better compared to other cruise lines.  No other line that I know of gives free drinks for 3 hours or so every night.  As to the in cabin amenities, as D+ we get 2 free bottles of wine, 2 beers, 2 waters, cookies,  chocolate strawberries.  You sure won't hear me complaining. 

I see.  I was thinking it was as you explained- just an offset of benefits that one reaps from getting one sort of cabin or another.  Thank you for the explanation. 

• Like 1

WOW! After reading this thread I was really taken aback with the mostly negative commentary! I'm getting the impression because people didn't get the most $$$ off of their cruise they didn't get the most OFtheir cruise, didn't enjoy the cruise, and are only looking for "free perks". A cruise is what you make of it. Nothing more and nothing less. If you think the cruise is that terrible for you there is nothing stopping you from going on another cruise line the next time you cruise. Just go else where that will give you what you are looking for. We are Diamond and treated extremely well because we go out of our way, like they do, to treat us that way.  That is how you treat other people--regardless of what one thinks. But we don't expect much other than being treated with a smile and good service. That smile makes the cruise. But we determine just how our cruise will be--enjoyable or a disaster.  What also makes our cruise are the people we meet. We meet all kinds of people, enjoy most of them, but quite frankly I'm not sure I want to meet most of you.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I was pricing a cruise with my D+ balcony discount ($350 for this particular sailing), the price was X. I priced again without the D+ discount and the price was $182 more.

I tried again and made sure in the price breakdown it showed the CAS$350 entry and it did. Seems some of the other figures in the equation had changed. I am sure this will vary from cruise to cruise, but try the comparison sometime. This is done on the RCI website.

Edited by L454S