Are massages same sex?

zitsky

Is your masseuse on Celebrity the same sex?  I have limited experience with spas.  It was that way on the Viking Star I just came from.

I have browsed the reviews for Canyon Ranch.  They don't seem to be good.  Maybe I am making a mistake booking a massage on my next cruise?

5 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Is your masseuse on Celebrity the same sex?  I have limited experience with spas.  It was that way on the Viking Star I just came from.

I have browsed the reviews for Canyon Ranch.  They don't seem to be good.  Maybe I am making a mistake booking a massage on my next cruise?

Ask before scheduling a time. 

I always asked for a female masseuse when scheduling massages and was accommodated.  I stopped frequenting the Canyon Ranch spas about 5 years ago because of the non-stop sales pressure during the service despite asking for a quiet massage before the service and telling them I'd not be buying anything. I finally gave up after advising several different masseuses on several different X ships that if they pushed sales during the service I'd not be tipping. They did push products non-stop, and I've given up. I can get relaxing massages at home, much less expensively, without the sales pitch. It's really a shame, because I always looked forward to a relaxing massage and facial on board, but Canyon Ranch must really be pushing its operators to sell, sell, sell and has ruined the ambience and relaxing atmosphere, at least for me.

• Thanks 1

They only use female masseuses and the massages are not that great at all. It’s more of a rub down than a massage. Part of the treatment time is spent trying to sell products. I would get one at home before or after the cruise  and save 50% compared to the onboard price. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

They only use female masseuses and the massages are not that great at all. It’s more of a rub down than a massage. Part of the treatment time is spent trying to sell products. I would get one at home before or after the cruise  and save 50% compared to the onboard price. 

I could not agree more!

• Like 3

We were disappointed with CR after in replaced Steiner.  Had expected a better level of services ..and not crazy about their products.

On  the EDGE, the spa is administered by a new  Stenier related entity..def not CR..I had much better  basic services, booked with port pricing  and  there was no hard sell after massage or facial. I did buy one item I had been looking for but things are better priced on the  Elemis website  

My DH has never been that impressed with Celebrity ship massages, but loved his Edge massage. If I remember correctly, he booked another one with the same person a few days later.

My SIL treated me to a massage on the Reflection a couple of years ago and it was amazing. There was no hard sell - a lovely person and great experience. I often write on the top of my health intake form "Not interested in products - please do not ask", which is pretty much respected, but can't remember if I did so that time. Unfortunately, my SIL, who had a treatment at the same time, had a mediocre experience.

Both of us have also only had female masseuses over the years. One thing to keep in mind is that, after you have a treatment, they call your cabin a few times to try to get you to come back. Next time I might write them a note at the top of my form not to do that - they always seemed to call at nap time after a late night of fun.

Edited by vtcruising

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

My DH has never been that impressed with Celebrity ship massages, but loved his Edge massage. If I remember correctly, he booked another one with the same person a few days later.

My SIL treated me to a massage on the Reflection a couple of years ago and it was amazing. There was no hard sell - a lovely person and great experience. I often write on the top of my health intake form "Not interested in products - please do not ask", which is pretty much respected, but can't remember if I did so that time. Unfortunately, my SIL, who had a treatment at the same time, had a mediocre experience.

Both of us have also only had female masseuses over the years. One thing to keep in mind is that, after you have a treatment, they call your cabin a few times to try to get you to come back. Next time I might write them a note at the top of my form not to do that - they always seemed to call at nap time after a late night of fun.

You're lucky that your note to not sell products was respected. I wrote notes and verbally mentioned my preference for the same and was subjected to non-stop product sales on multiple occasions. I'm glad yours were honored.

1 minute ago, Luvcrusn said:

You're lucky that your note to not sell products was respected. I wrote notes and verbally mentioned my preference for the same and was subjected to non-stop product sales on multiple occasions. I'm glad yours were honored.

They have still tried once or twice, but it wasn't such a hard sell - just a "wanted to let you know" type of sell. I'm sure it won't always work. As you said, they must be under a lot of pressure to sell product, likely have a quota, so are a bit desperate.

7 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Could someone explain the upsell during treatment?  "I've massaged your leg.  It's an extra $25 for your arm?"

???

What are they trying to sell you?

Creams, lotions, potions during facials and massages and on several occasions skin brushes were being pushed during massages. 

Edited by Luvcrusn
Correction

I've had a nice massage on Celebrity before. Personally, I've never experienced what I would consider a hard sales pitch after any spa service on any cruise line. Not sure if that's a reflection that the normal sales pitch seems low key to me or if it' just a reflection of my reaction that they tend to give up quickly.

10 hours ago, zitsky said:

Is there anyone who actually likes Canyon Ranch?  Doesn't seem like it.

9 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I've had a nice massage on Celebrity before. Personally, I've never experienced what I would consider a hard sales pitch after any spa service on any cruise line. Not sure if that's a reflection that the normal sales pitch seems low key to me or if it' just a reflection of my reaction that they tend to give up quickly.

The experiences of my wife and I haven't been bad either. On our first cruise, they hardly tried to sell us anything (I think they may have mentioned some lotion was available for purchase, but that was it). On our second cruise, at the end of our treatments (we did 3 each), they tried to sell us some things, but it wasn't too bad of a sales pitch and I wouldn't say it was high pressure. Perhaps because my wife and I always do several treatments, there is less selling going on. In our experience, it hasn't been a problem.

I'd say we've also had nice treatments and massages too. They definitely help me feel relaxed on vacation.

21 minutes ago, Cruisin4ABruisen said:

The experiences of my wife and I haven't been bad either. On our first cruise, they hardly tried to sell us anything (I think they may have mentioned some lotion was available for purchase, but that was it). On our second cruise, at the end of our treatments (we did 3 each), they tried to sell us some things, but it wasn't too bad of a sales pitch and I wouldn't say it was high pressure. Perhaps because my wife and I always do several treatments, there is less selling going on. In our experience, it hasn't been a problem.

I'd say we've also had nice treatments and massages too. They definitely help me feel relaxed on vacation.

Your wife and you... I've gone off researching on the internet whether there are male and female masseuses on Celebrity.  I'm getting mixed info.  Did you have a female or male masseuse?  I assume you are a guy?

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Your wife and you... I've gone off researching on the internet whether there are male and female masseuses on Celebrity.  I'm getting mixed info.  Did you have a female or male masseuse?  I assume you are a guy?

Hi, I'm not the poster that you're asking, but Celebrity ships only have female massage therapists....  & yes, Canyon Ranch made quite a few unpleasant changes when they took over a few years back.

-Massages went up in price by about 30% over what Steiner charged

-Persian Gardens was no longer included before your massage

-much more pushy sales pitch of products.

hope this helps

10 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I enjoy the free 5 min neck massages from the Canyon Ranch staff lined up outside the theater on some nights.  They try to sell me an appointment but I don't care!

We were just on the Summit.  It was like having to run a gauntlet after the theatre to get past those people.  

4 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

Hi, I'm not the poster that you're asking, but Celebrity ships only have female massage therapists....  & yes, Canyon Ranch made quite a few unpleasant changes when they took over a few years back.

-Massages went up in price by about 30% over what Steiner charged

-Persian Gardens was no longer included before your massage

-much more pushy sales pitch of products.

hope this helps

Ok you're the second person to say female only.  But I found a post somewhere that mentioned men on staff.

I'm in Aqua so no problem getting into Persian Garden.

My husband and I had massages on the Solstice last February.  They were the worst massages (females masseuses, either 80 or 90 minutes) either of us had ever had.   Then sales pitches afterwards that did not stop after we left.  We had calls every day afterwards all but badgering us to return.  We will NEVER return to a Canyon Ranch spa on a Celebrity Ship

36 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I'm a guy. In my experience, plus the Canyon Ranch FAQ, they only have female masseuses. 

This is from the FAQ (accessed via Cruise Planner on Celebrity's website):

"Can I request a male or female therapist?

Only female therapists are available for all massage treatments; other services vary."

7 minutes ago, NCHPcruiser said:

My husband and I had massages on the Solstice last February.  They were the worst massages (females masseuses, either 80 or 90 minutes) either of us had ever had.   Then sales pitches afterwards that did not stop after we left.  We had calls every day afterwards all but badgering us to return.  We will NEVER return to a Canyon Ranch spa on a Celebrity Ship

What was so bad about it???

I would have responded saying that, in general at spas, you can request a male or female therapist when you make your appointment. For facials and body treatments (wraps, scrubs, etc.) often they'll only be females that are qualified, but there are usually male therapists available for most standard massages (e.g., I wouldn't necessarily expect it for Shihatsu).  That said, in my experience it is NOT common for there to be male therapists on cruise ships. But I would defer to Celebrity FAQ, it may be a management decision to not have male therapists (which is disappointing on several levels...)

I am male, and generally prefer male therapists as I've generally found them to perform better massages for me, although I have had at least one solid massage by a female. But I can understand if certain clients of either gender feel uncomfortable with a male therapist for whatever reason; I'm not here to judge. 🙂