Are massages same sex?

zitsky

50 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What was so bad about it???

After we told them what we liked in a massage (a very firm touch, deep tissue) they either did gentle rubbing or it was so hard that I was sore for days afterward.  I told her she was hurting me so she lightened up so much it was simple rubbing, there was no in between at all.  Both masseuses stopped  for so long at one point I wondered what was going on in the room.  It was unlike any previous massage.   The sales calls directly from the masseuses would not stop even after telling them we were not interested in any other service or product they were selling.  We really should have complained while onboard but didn’t.  

IMHO Canyon Ranch massages are terrible....tend to be weak and always seem to short me about 5 minutes, which is a rub....no pun intended.  I tried maybe 10-15 times and then just gave up.  I would rather pay for an expert then a "cruise" massage and there is a huge difference.  People go on vacation and go "All out" with the Canyon Ranch brand......Its all advertising, mediocre product...  We take some time out at home and get some excellent massages.....far better use of our time.  Safe Sails.  

We were on the Infinity for one of their very short cruises (filler before a charter) last spring. It was a port day and since we weren't getting off the ship I decided to get a facial. They must have not been very busy because the attendant practically jumped on me when I walked up there to make the appointment and then offered me a 90 minute facial for the 60 minute special port pricing. Overall it was a very good facial and the upsell wasn't too bad (recommended products and then had them waiting for me at the front desk, all bagged up like I was going to take them - which I didn't) but it was not a true spa experience. I understand the Persian Garden was not included, but she made me change my clothes in the actual tiny treatment room and I was not allowed to go into any other areas of the spa. Sure, I got a good deal on the facial but part of being in a spa is the relaxation, which I did not get in any way. Plus the attendant kept reminding me that she gave me extra time and was obviously angling for a bigger tip. We had been on an RCL cruise a few weeks before that and the spa experience there was so much better. I'm not sure if the profit margin is too low for Celebrity to care or what, but the spa seems like an afterthought for them.

Wow! Glad I read all these responses before cruising. I thought it might be nice to treat myself, but not if they’re going to push products during the massage! That’s just obnoxious. And calling the stateroom after? Is this a spa or a used car dealership?! 

Its also disappointing that you don’t get access to the Persian Garden included with a spa treatment. Kind of defeats the purpose of relaxation, especially with the sales pitch. 

I’m actually surprised that Celebrity’s spa is so mediocre. I know it’s outsourced to Canyon Ranch, but Celebrity must have some control over how it’s run. 

Just off the Reflection and I had a great massage.  There was no attempt to sell me any products.  However therapist did offer to give me a 80 min massage at 50 min price if I returned prior to end of cruise.  I also received a letter in my room offering this.

I have had massages on X in the past and I think this is the first time they didn't try to sell me any products.  The first ever massage I had on X was a couples massage and DH and I were like deer caught in the headlights with the sales pitch at the end and ended up buying stuff we didn't need.  Since then I am prepared and just say no.  

It is a nice treat to have a massage onboard, especially if you have OBC to use.  

7 hours ago, zitsky said:

I'm going from memory but a 50 min massage on Viking was $166 with tip.  On Celebrity the price starts at $160 not including tip.  And people say the massage is mediocre.

On our upcoming Equinox cruise, the massages start at $150 for the basic 50 minutes.

14 hours ago, gordiej said:

On our upcoming Equinox cruise, the massages start at $150 for the basic 50 minutes.

Deep Tissue Massage

Duration: 50 minutes  $176.00

This is what I'm comparing.  It's much more expensive on Celebrity than Viking.  With tip you're looking at a $200 massage.

Q:  Has anyone done the THAI massage on Celebrity (Canyon Ranch)?

Edited by zitsky

On 10/13/2019 at 10:43 PM, Jeremiah1212 said:

They only use female masseuses and the massages are not that great at all. It’s more of a rub down than a massage. Part of the treatment time is spent trying to sell products. I would get one at home before or after the cruise  and save 50% compared to the onboard price. 

Agree 100%. Prob have gotten 20 massages with Canyon Ranch and maybe 2 were average quality or better. For deep tissue they tend to use elbows instead of hands to provide the pressure since they do so many in one day. I normally preface the consultation with a brief statement stating please don't try to sell me any products as I really interested, and instead just concentrate on the massage. Last few years have waited for the port and find a massage therapist there.

i frequently get massages at home, but I always enjoy the ones I get on cruises.  I've only had one experience where I really should have stopped the massage and rebooked for another time - for some reason the PA system was hooked into the treatment rooms and there were constant interruptions  - nothing of an emergency nature and it was soooo annoying.  Other than that one time my massages have always been great.  I always book when there is a special so the pricing isn't too bad.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, it's official.  My partner wants a massage.  Do you think he'll get it?  (I'm the scheduler.)

I can't decide between deep tissue and "thai" massage.  I had a good thai-style massage many years ago at a surf camp, of all places.  If it's anything like that I'd enjoy it.

On 10/13/2019 at 5:46 PM, zitsky said:

Is your masseuse on Celebrity the same sex?  I have limited experience with spas.  It was that way on the Viking Star I just came from.

I have browsed the reviews for Canyon Ranch.  They don't seem to be good.  Maybe I am making a mistake booking a massage on my next cruise?

Masseuse a woman who provides massage professionally.