Which port for the Embera Indian Village?

mikefinleyco

Really confused about which port has the Embera Indian Village tours?

Actually confused on the whole panama canal passage, it seems like when I look at the cruise ship websites they confuse me as to what they are actually doing? Seems like many are just passing through it and keep going, no stops? This can't be right. Can anyone outline the possible ports and stops through the panama canal? I'm looking at an ocean to ocean type cruise. 

Thanks

Mike

Edited by mikefinleyco

Just to add, for instance looking at the Norwegian Joy it say on their website

Wed Daylight Transit Panama Canal --- ---

Daylight Transit Panama Canal

Experience one of the world's best short cuts! Journey 40 miles through the Panama Canal for an unforgettable experience. Witness first-hand one of the world's manmade short cuts that has changed travel and the transport of goods worldwide.

Thu Cartagena, Colombia 11:00 am 7:00 pm

On a full transit - ocean to ocean - there will not be any stop with an opportunity for an excursion.  There are occasional cruises that have a day stop in Colon or Fuerte Amador (Panama City) the day before or after the transit, so if your cruise does that, you would have the opportunity to take that excursion.  NCL Joy full transits do not offer this.  EM

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity offer a stop in Panama (Colon or Ft. Amador) on almost all of their full transits. The problem is that they don't really offer very many Canal transits over the year.  Princess and HAL offer a stop at Ft. Amador on select transits.  It has puzzled me as to why a stop in Panama in conjunction with a transit is not offered more frequently.  Regarding which port for the Embera visit, either Ft. Amador or Colon  can be used.

Mike:  Going on the Princess Cruise line Emerald Princess in January.  It will be from Long Beach, Ca. to Ft Lauderdale.  One of the ports we stop in is Fuerte Amador in Panama, right at the beginning (Pacific Side) of the Canal.  There is an excursion that Princess offers called the Embera Indian. Village.  My Sister just got back from a land tour and did that same excursion.  It sounds wonderful.  There are several cruise lines that do a full transit, but Princess and Holland America have probably the most offerings.  Our cruise leaves January 2nd and gets to Ft Lauderdale on Jan 17th.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 1:45 PM, travelor said:

Mike:  Going on the Princess Cruise line Emerald Princess in January.  It will be from Long Beach, Ca. to Ft Lauderdale.  One of the ports we stop in is Fuerte Amador in Panama, right at the beginning (Pacific Side) of the Canal.  There is an excursion that Princess offers called the Embera Indian. Village.  My Sister just got back from a land tour and did that same excursion.  It sounds wonderful.  There are several cruise lines that do a full transit, but Princess and Holland America have probably the most offerings.  Our cruise leaves January 2nd and gets to Ft Lauderdale on Jan 17th.  

I saw this one, does this ship go through the old or the new locks?

• 1 month later...

We did a tour to the Embera Village a long time ago...so I don't remember which port we went from..but we consider it one of the top excursions we have ever done..very interesting and entertaining. Don't miss it if you have the chance to go!!! LuAnn

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2019 at 1:31 AM, Essiesmom said:

On a full transit - ocean to ocean - there will not be any stop with an opportunity for an excursion.  There are occasional cruises that have a day stop in Colon or Fuerte Amador (Panama City) the day before or after the transit, so if your cruise does that, you would have the opportunity to take that excursion.  NCL Joy full transits do not offer this.  EM

Any ideas on why the Joy just changed to land in Colon instead of Santa marta next week February 2nd sailing.