Taking wine on board Princess.

Now I know the limits, prices etc, what I am after is the actual procedure at Sydney OPT for getting the bottles stamped so I can take them to dinner.

I will be taking 14 bottles in a carton on a fold up trolley and understand up to having to take them as carry on luggage. What happens after that?

It's very easy. At the alcohol table, the stewards will ask you which bottles you want to pay the corkage on. As you probably realise, you can take one bottle per person on board without paying the corkage. When you take one of the bottles that you have paid corkage on to the dining room, politely draw attention to the sticker that indicates you paid the $15. We haven't ever had a problem with this. 🙂

15 minutes ago, modernmind said:

Just for clarification...is the $15 paid via credit card straight away or is it added to the account? Also, I'm assuming the $15 is AUD, am I right?

Welcome to cruise critic. It will be $15 AUD but am unsure how it is charged, maybe they have both options.

Is Bainbridge Island by Seattle?

15 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

It's very easy. At the alcohol table, the stewards will ask you which bottles you want to pay the corkage on. As you probably realise, you can take one bottle per person on board without paying the corkage. When you take one of the bottles that you have paid corkage on to the dining room, politely draw attention to the sticker that indicates you paid the $15. We haven't ever had a problem with this. 🙂

That seems like a great idea. Do other lines do this?

48 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

That seems like a great idea. Do other lines do this?

I don't know about all lines. P&O don't allow any drinks except sealed cans, to be taken on board, so no wine is allowed. Some luxury lines allow unlimited wine. Until 2013 this was the case with Princess, but not now. 😒

Edited by Aus Traveller

Just now, NSWP said:

It would be good to take on a dozen wines, but a real struggle to carry that much through check in, security etc. What with the carry on bags etc.

I am planning on doing this on our next couple of cruises where we don't have to fly to the embarkation port. I will split our wine stock between our two wheel-along hand luggage cases, even if I have to put a few lighter items (medications etc) in a large shoulder bag.

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am planning on doing this on our next couple of cruises where we don't have to fly to the embarkation port. I will split our wine stock between our two wheel-along hand luggage cases, even if I have to put a few lighter items (medications etc) in a large shoulder bag.

I would like to take a dozen bottles of vino on board Majestic Princess on Feb 12, to Singapore.  I will think about it.  Before they clamped down, we took a few 2 litre wine casks for medicinal purposes, very handy.  A 750ml bottle each is a bit mean.  On P&O UK you can take on a litre of spirits each, no corkage.

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

I would like to take a dozen on board Majestic Princess on Feb 12, to Singapore.  I will think about it.  Before they clamped down, we took a few 2 litre wine casks for medicinal purposes, very handy.

Unfortunately, now I don't think we can take casks on board at all. Think about how you could handle your dozen ..... 🙂 I mean "how you would take them on board" not "how you would drink them".😉

8 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Unfortunately, now I don't think we can take casks on board at all. Think about how you could handle your dozen ..... 🙂 I mean "how you would take them on board" not "how you would drink them".😉

Wine in PET plastic bottles would be good, have to find some, they would be lighter than glass.

As for wine casks, I believe they are confiscating those, according to some Sea Princess World Cruisers, who returned recently.

When in UK, I have purchased 1 litre plastic bottles of wine in Tesco, Sainsburys etc. Handy for travel.

th (3).jpg

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I would like to take a dozen bottles of vino on board Majestic Princess on Feb 12, to Singapore.  I will think about it.  Before they clamped down, we took a few 2 litre wine casks for medicinal purposes, very handy.  A 750ml bottle each is a bit mean.  On P&O UK you can take on a litre of spirits each, no corkage.

Not on P&O Australia though

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Agreed. No liquids (except cans) onto P&O Australia, not even a bottle full of water.

Real mean, one trip on P&O Straya was enough for this little black duck and I am no cruise snob.

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Treating pax like kids.

I think P&O had experience of too many people smuggling hard drinks and then becoming intoxicated on board. I have to confess that one couple I know (definitely not me) smuggled vodka on board, although they did not become intoxicated - just added some "magic water" to the soft drinks they bought.

I am trying to convince my husband that Princess is a better deal - better atmosphere, Elite perks, Captain's MTP lunch and, with our various OBCs, only a bit more expensive than P&O.

Edited by Aus Traveller

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We go on P&O when it costs less than $100 a day for an oceanview cabin. We always enjoy the cruise and enjoy the company of the people we meet.

Fair enough, but I made the mistake of travelling on last voyage of Regal Princess in Sept/Oct 2007, LA to Sydney then going on her a couple of years later, reincarnated as Pacific Dawn.  Say no more.😮

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

I think P&O had experience of too many people smuggling hard drinks and then becoming intoxicated on board.

I am trying to convince my husband that Princess is a better deal - better atmosphere, Elite perks, Captain's MTP lunch and, with our various OBCs, only a bit more expensive than P&O.

Fewer Bogans on Princess, note I said fewer, not none.😝

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Welcome to cruise critic. It will be $15 AUD but am unsure how it is charged, maybe they have both options.

Is Bainbridge Island by Seattle?

Yes, Bainbridge Island is just 35 minutes to Seattle via car ferry.

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

It would be good to take on a dozen wines, but a real struggle to carry that much through check in, security etc. What with the carry on bags etc.

This is what I use.  https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/80KG-Folding-Trolley-Hand-Truck-Foldable-Luggage-Cart-Heavy-Duty-Push-Dolly/123881128505?hash=item1cd7e40239:g:upQAAOSw1pxdXJ3e&frcectupt=true

Edited by Russell21