Best way to get to hotel from BUD airport

Lisa B.

Did you book your cruise thru a travel agent?  If so, they may be able to arrange a private driver.  My TA did that as part of the pre-cruise pkg. she put together for me.  Much less expensive than what was offered by the cruise line.

7 hours ago, DanL said:

Check w/ hotel. We did & a car will be waiting.

4 hours ago, Roz said:

That's a pretty broad statement.  😎

There are lots of other ways to arrange this, but when visiting a country for the first time I find it comforting to have my hotel arrange the airport pickup – I like to have someone waiting with my name, and the hotel knows which firms are reliable [if not the cheapest].

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

There are lots of other ways to arrange this, but when visiting a country for the first time I find it comforting to have my hotel arrange the airport pickup – I like to have someone waiting with my name, and the hotel knows which firms are reliable [if not the cheapest].

Y'all must stay in much fancier hotels than I do. 😉  Is this common practice with hotels in Europe?

4 hours ago, Roz said:

Is this common practice with hotels in Europe?

Yes - your hotel can usually arrange airport pick-up/drop-off.  Our hotel in Budapest arranged for our taxi to the airport (when we arrived via cruise and stayed an additional week).

Edited by dogs4fun

2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Yes - your hotel can usually arrange airport pick-up/drop-off.  Our hotel in Budapest arranged for our taxi to the airport (when we arrived via cruise and stayed an additional week).

I've done this when I'm leaving the hotel to go to the airport, but from the airport to the hotel, I just go outside and get a cab.  

18 hours ago, Roz said:

Y'all must stay in much fancier hotels than I do. 😉  

I have had hotels charging US$20 per night double provide this service. 

10 hours ago, Roz said:

I've done this when I'm leaving the hotel to go to the airport, but from the airport to the hotel, I just go outside and get a cab.  

I’ve done airport queue taxis in many countries with generally good results, but in some countries this is pretty iffy due to significant possibility of robbery or worse. If you don’t know the area (and more so if you don’t speak the language) there is the possibility of being taken a circuitous route to run up the meter; the majority of drivers are honest but this can happen anywhere (including in the US). The relatively few times I have used a hotel arranged driver it has been for a stated fixed price and was added directly to my hotel bill. YMMV  

Going to South Africa (which has quite high crime rates in some areas) for the first time, getting off the plane jet-lagged from 36 hours of travel including two nights on a plane and confronted with a never before used currency it was nice exiting customs into a scrum of people to see a driver in a suit with our names on a placard. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2019 at 8:31 AM, Lisa B. said:

Looking for any recommendations on the best way to get to city Centre from the airport via private transfer. I have heard the taxi wait can be long lines. TIA for any help. 

We have used a private transfer in Budapest a couple of times -  http://www.budapestairporttaxi.com/Welcome.html 

His prices are fair - and he will be there waiting for you when you arrive.  If you e-mail him, he responds quite quickly.

Fran

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from a five night stay in Budapest.  We used Airport Transfers Budapest ( www.airporttransfersbudapest.com ) and could not fault them in any way.

They picked us up at Keleti Railway Station, and were waiting with our name on a board, they transferred myself and my husband to our hotel, then our friends to theirs.  They picked up our friends for their airport transfer and us for ours, on separate days.  They were right on time for all transfers and extremely quick to reply to any email queries.

Highly recommend them.