Refillable Beer Mug and prepurchasing a 6 pack for cabin

jenniferop

Hello,

First time cruising Disney for Hubby and myself. We have been on many other lines but decided to top off Marathon week Jan 2020 with the Castaway Cay Challenge. So we are very excited to finally try Disney (we are annual passholders and love weekend getaways).

On all other lines we usually purchase the Beverage package so we don't worry about racking up a huge bar tab. We aren't alcoholics but we enjoy several drinks during the day while on vacation! I will bring a couple bottles of wine for myself so these questions are mainly for hubby.

My questions to you experts are; I see the refillable mug is an options - what is the savings between the 21oz pour of the mug and the 16ox price? Is it worth it to buy the mug?

Also, do you know the pricing of beer in general? I see the 6 pack of Bud light is $33.75pre-purchase to have in the cabin - is that cheaper than buying on the ship? Because if not then I won't bother. Having in the cabin is just convenient for a pre dinner drink and on other lines if you wait to order a drink while at the table it takes until almost to the end of dinner before they arrive. Is service quicker on Disney?

Final question I paid for the cruise (and our annual passes) with Disney Gift Cards bought at a 5% discount through Target - can I use gift cards for my Onboard account also?

TIA for any and all advice!!

4 hours ago, jenniferop said:

Hello,

First time cruising Disney for Hubby and myself. We have been on many other lines but decided to top off Marathon week Jan 2020 with the Castaway Cay Challenge. So we are very excited to finally try Disney (we are annual passholders and love weekend getaways).

On all other lines we usually purchase the Beverage package so we don't worry about racking up a huge bar tab. We aren't alcoholics but we enjoy several drinks during the day while on vacation! I will bring a couple bottles of wine for myself so these questions are mainly for hubby.

My questions to you experts are; I see the refillable mug is an options - what is the savings between the 21oz pour of the mug and the 16ox price? Is it worth it to buy the mug?

Also, do you know the pricing of beer in general? I see the 6 pack of Bud light is $33.75pre-purchase to have in the cabin - is that cheaper than buying on the ship? Because if not then I won't bother. Having in the cabin is just convenient for a pre dinner drink and on other lines if you wait to order a drink while at the table it takes until almost to the end of dinner before they arrive. Is service quicker on Disney?

Final question I paid for the cruise (and our annual passes) with Disney Gift Cards bought at a 5% discount through Target - can I use gift cards for my Onboard account also?

TIA for any and all advice!!

Yes, you can put your Disney gift cards on your onboard account.  One thing, be sure to keep hold of the cards until after the cruise.  If there's any credit left over on your onboard account at the end of the cruise it will be applied back to the same card(s).

Can't answer about the cost difference, if any, on the beer question, but you are aware that you each can bring wine or beer onboard, right?  Each guest 21 years of age and older is allowed EITHER 2 bottles of wine, OR 6 beers on embarkation, and at each port of call.  Purchasing beer in port to bring onboard will, most likely, be the lowest cost.

Yes - thank you!! I do know about bringing the bottles on with us - so I'll bring 2 and Hubby will bring 2 and then that's my drinks taken care of for the whole cruise.

I'll probably just buy ahead of time a 6 pack and the mug to be waiting in the cabin for him and then just pay for refills on the mug.

Thanks for verifying I can use the Gift Cards for onboard account - it's not much but I'd rather save 5$ than put money on a credit card - especially if they will reload the balance left over back to the card - then we will just use on a Disney trip.

Make friends and ask if they drink or are going to be bringing beer/wine on board at ports, if not, ask them to be a mule for you and have them bring it on. I bought the beer mug last cruise only because it was a 2 week cruise and thought I'd get my money's worth

28 minutes ago, Bet_The_Field said:

Unless you want the mug for your collections it's not worth it IMO.  You get a few extra ounces of beer for the same price.

If you order a six pack for the room you will be paying about the same price as the bars.

Thank you this was the exact info I was looking for...I will not buy the mug but will buy the 6pk just so there is something in the cabin for dinner prep. Then in Nassau we will each pick up a 6 pk for hubby. All good!!

On 10/23/2019 at 12:47 PM, jenniferop said:

Thank you this was the exact info I was looking for...I will not buy the mug but will buy the 6pk just so there is something in the cabin for dinner prep. Then in Nassau we will each pick up a 6 pk for hubby. All good!!

In the past you could exchange you beer mug for a “beer mug” card for convenience whenever you  done using it that day. At the end of each cruise I bring my card home and use it on the next cruise. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2020 at 7:18 PM, Cruisebird said:

We have the mugs from a prior cruise.  Can we bring them with us for the next cruise?  

Yes. But it’s easier to turn your mug in for a “beer card” both during and at the end of the cruise. Eliminates carrying the mug everywhere