something you quite enjoy about your cruise vacation...

Out of Iowa

We were at Red Lobster recently to celebrate a family birthday.  The entree prices on the menu seem to have increased since my last visit:  I saw lots of items in the $18-25 range and had to read through to the end (Lunch selections and some one-evening, early-bird specials) for entrees $12-15. 

This got me thinking, "When we are on a cruise, in Carnival's main dining room, I really, really enjoy not being handed a bill at the end of the meal."  This makes me feel good to know it is included, pre-paid, even pre-tipped (although I give more at cruise's end if the service was notable)."

What is an aspect of your cruise vacation that makes your day?

• Like 6

Yup....included food is top of the list for me.  If we go to a basic mainstream steakhouse the bill is still probably $60 with tip.  

My wife decided she wanted a trip to the beach last year and we talked about budget.  She severely underestimated the food budget and thought we would end up much cheaper than a cruise which I disagreed with.  I proved her wrong even though we only went out for a 'sit down' breakfast a couple of days and there were a couple of fast food lunches and delivered pizzas.  Food costs really add up on vacation especially if you are looking for something other than grab and go food.

• Like 4

Being unplugged!!  I spend my entire workday on my laptop and the dreaded cell phone.  It's such a nice feeling to leave all that behind.

I enjoy the "free" food as well.  It always ends up being cheaper to take all the kids and grands on a cruise.  

• Like 9

The nightly towel animal definitely put smiles our faces each night. How do they do that? I enjoyed the variety of food choices you have on a cruise. Whether it be the Lido buffet, or the nightly choices in the MDR. But the thing I enjoyed the most, was sitting on our balcony, and watching the waves go by, and the remarkable beauty of the blue water. 

20190729_164414.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Out of Iowa said:

What is an aspect of your cruise vacation that makes your day?

Hi Out of Iowa ☺️

I've been disabled with Multiple Sclerosis for 20 years. My wife & I have been sailing since the early 80's. The main aspect that makes my cruise vacation, that makes my day, that makes my entire voyage, is quite simple; (everything is located in one place). The hotel, restaurants, shows & all entertainment are all in one place (ship) and accessible. 

🌴

• Like 14

Great question. Visiting various ports, especially in Europe. Spending quality time with DW while still having time to do our own things, such as trivia for me and swimming laps for her. Meeting all sorts of interesting friendly people.

• Like 2

Sitting on my own balcony - with a drink in hand - doing crosswords/puzzles - and no one bothers me!  No computers, no banking websites, no reporting to anyone!  Finally - just a DAY OFF!  Unplugged!  And spending it HOW I choose and with whom I choose!  

So close but so far...

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, silvercrikhix said:

i quite like the “nots” of cruising. Not driving, not cooking, not cleaning, not making the bed, etc.....

As the main driver in our family, I love any destination vacation that doesn't require me in the driver seat for hours.

We ran into a little rain during our last cruise and I told my wife the nice thing about it is I didn't have to worry about steering around it or adjusting course.
I just had to worry about whether I wanted to sit on the balcony getting wet or sit inside sipping a cold drink!

We love having the room tidied up and a bucket full of ice for our drinks.
The towel animal is a fun find too.

It is also very ego-boosting to have the servers/stewards call you by name, like you're actually somebody important.
And when they remember your drink order from the night before at dinner, or that I want a fruit and cheese plate to go to take back to the room after dinner, it makes it even more special.

• Like 2

My kids are growing up. I rarely see them both at the same meal anymore. I look forward to a week of eating together and playing games and relaxing and just doing things as a family. This time is precious to me and I want to soak up every moment I have with all of us together. 

I also look forward to many cocktails and mini golf games. 

• Like 10

Definitely all of the above plus not having to be on any type of schedule! DH and I both run our own businesses plus I homeschool our youngest so every single day is scheduled and sometimes hectic. The only schedule I stick to on cruises is going to trivia and the comedy club, but if I don't feel like going, I don't have to 🙂

• Like 1

Just the privilege of being able to unplug for a week to be pampered and waited on by others is a blessing. Enjoying free time to do WHATEVER WHENEVER along with being with my sweetie or family who also are free to do the same. Getting up early or sleeping late; never-ending food; people working hard to see that I am happy and cared for while enjoying new locations, people, entertainment and experiences all in one place. The ability to tailor one's vacation to their specific needs isn't an option with many other forms of travel the same way it is with and on a cruise. Enjoy!

• Like 3