Couple of Questions

johnnyd

A Windstar newbie here. I am doing the Lovely Leewards 14 Day SJU-SJU departing Saturday, January 4, 2020. Our stops include Philipsburg, St. Maarten, Les Saintes, Guadeloupe, Bequia, Saint Vincent And The Grenadines, Pigeon Island, St. Lucia, St. George's, Grenada, Vieques, Puerto Rico, Gustavia, St. Barthelemy, Little Bay, Montserrat, Great Harbour, Jost Van Dyke, and Virgin Gorda, BVI. Can anyone tell me which ports are anchored versus docked? Also, what flotation equipment is available for individuals? Thank you.

Try this link:

https://www.windstarcruises.com/cruise/itinerary-ports/star-collector-voyages/star-collector-lovely-leewards/?id=352&sid=3043

The chart shows watersports days. If it doesn't work, go the WS home page, find your cruise and then click on the Itinerary and Ports tab.

As far as what's on board, this page gives a good idea, and includes information for a range of equipment available:

https://blog.windstarcruises.com/water-sports-platform/

Happy sailing!

You should have received an itinerary (non financial) email from Windstar. On that it lists your ports and says berth or anchor next to each one plus it will say if the water sports platform will be out. 

We do do not use a travel agent so we always get all correspondence. If you used a TA they might have this paperwork. 

Lots of great ports of call!

Edited by Ski Mom 2

We  will be doing the same cruise in less than 3 weeks.  Really looking forward to spending 2 weeks aboard the Legend, the first time we do a 2 week cruise. Yes itinerary has a bit of everything,  Vieques (a first for us), the BVI, St Barth,  Montserrat, Les Saintes & Bequia. Beware though that while documentation does show on what days platform will be out,  some port may too much swell and they don’t open it.  This something that could happen in St Barth and Montserrat which can have currents where we’ve seen this happen.  I would say, don’t plan too much around it, if it’s open and you have time, just go. Sometimes we do sightseeing in the morning and would go swim on the platform for an hour before doing late lunch on Veranda, pure bliss.  And to top it off the platform is one of the best place to be when it rains in the Caribbean, the rain is warm, the water is warm, no problem man!!

Thanks for the info, will set my expectations accordingly.  I guess I can live with the wear & tear, so as long as it’s clean and that the food & service continue to remain the same, then we’re in business.  Was wondering more about AC (had AC issues on Pride a few years back), engine/propulsion issues (we lost power on Legend in 2017 and drifted for about 2 hours before they restarted it).  Any complaints from guests in general or issues I should be looking out for

1 hour ago, Misty Morning said:

Thanks for the info, will set my expectations accordingly.  I guess I can live with the wear & tear, so as long as it’s clean and that the food & service continue to remain the same, then we’re in business.  Was wondering more about AC (had AC issues on Pride a few years back), engine/propulsion issues (we lost power on Legend in 2017 and drifted for about 2 hours before they restarted it).  Any complaints from guests in general or issues I should be looking out for

We prefer to think of them as being “of a certain age”. An engine failure that lasted 2 hours 2 years ago is irrelevant. These things happen. We’ve never had problems with the A/C in our cabins. The worst part is that the controls are so worn you can barely read the numbers. Solved for me by using the iPhone flashlight along with the super power glasses. Adjusted once and we good to go.

The bathrooms remain what they are - old but functional. One couple reported duct tape under their sink but we had no such issues. The was a minor issue with one cabinet where the door would flop around in high seas but a carryon in front of it solved the problem. We would have asked to have it fixed but the work around was easy, the Breeze had only two more itins and the bar was calling. Priorities!!

I was actually surprised to see the crew running around and painting things including the exterior of the hull, having just heard that the paint was all being stripped down to bare metal during the lengthening. We saw nothing that gave us pause. If you want to see WS standards at work take the tour of the sparkling galley. We saw no hint of scaling anything back in the last couple weeks. The menus and selection was as always, the bar was fully stocked. Zero issues. 

the most important thing is that the smiling crew is smiling as always. 

Edited by milepig

3 hours ago, milepig said:

The bathrooms remain what they are - old but functional. One couple reported duct tape under their sink but we had no such issues. The was a minor issue with one cabinet where the door would flop around in high seas but a carryon in front of it solved the problem. We would have asked to have it fixed but the work around was easy, the Breeze had only two more itins and the bar was calling. Priorities!!

Another use for that duct tape!  The only two tools you need: duct tape and WD-40.  If if moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.  If it should move but doesn't, use WD-40.  Problems solved!

4 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Another use for that duct tape!  The only two tools you need: duct tape and WD-40.  If if moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.  If it should move but doesn't, use WD-40.  Problems solved!

alas, we didn’t bring any with us and in any case we needed periodic access. 

On the same cruise as you.....Jan 4 for 2 weeks. We did a similar cruise on Windsurf 2 years ago. It was fantastic. We have also sailed previously on Star Legend in Europe. Star a Legend is a great ship.   The itinerary shows the possible ports where the ship anchors.  That is where the sports platform may be open.  However, cruising schedules can and do change. Just because it is listed as anchor, it may not happen. It all depends on the port officials.  Sailed this summer in Alaska. Schedule listed anchoring in some ports. We docked everywhere.  Looking forward to the cruise.