Let's talk salt

Saint Greg

This is something I never think of until I'm on the spot and have to make a decision. I want to know what you use. I just go with one of the white ones but I wonder if there's something good I'm missing out on by just automatically picking the white salt each time.

CARNIVAL-CRUISE-STEAKHOUSE-8-1030x773.jp

• Like 1

Was this in the Steakhouse, Greg?  If so, we were never given the option when we dined there on the Magic.  However, Cornelius at the Alchemy made me a really good tequila drink with black salt....several times 😁

20191002_012923.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Yes, I remember seeing this presented in a YouTube video:

I feel slighted, now.  We have another steakhouse reservation coming up on the Vista.  If they don't present it, I'll definitely ask. Going to go back to my tried and true filet as well.  The cowboy steak was pretty mediocre, in both taste and appearance.  Maybe it was because it was the last night of the cruise?

20191005_225018.jpg

Edited by Amadawn1
Additional information
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Amadawn1 said:

Was this in the Steakhouse, Greg?  If so, we were never given the option when we dined there on the Magic.  However, Cornelius at the Alchemy made me a really good tequila drink with black salt....several times 😁

Yep. I had to pick my salt in the steakhouse on vista and glory this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amadawn1 said:

I feel slighted, now.  We have another steakhouse reservation coming up on the Vista.  If they don't present it, I'll definitely ask. Going to go back to my tried and true filet as well.  The cowboy steak was pretty mediocre, in both taste and appearance.  Maybe it was because it was the last night of the cruise?

20191005_225018.jpg

whoa. This was my cowboy steak on Glory.

3917EE6D-57F9-45D2-AFF1-3695EF7CEA28.thumb.jpeg.bd43685b583f4a45006281f0395bde8b.jpeg

2 hours ago, Amadawn1 said:

Now I’m nervous cause I’ve got Magic next. I’m going to be prepared for a salt choice and there’s going to be no salt choice?

And I definitely don’t want my steak coming out like the one you posted. It looks like the cook had to fight a dog for it. 

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

whoa. This was my cowboy steak on Glory.

3917EE6D-57F9-45D2-AFF1-3695EF7CEA28.thumb.jpeg.bd43685b583f4a45006281f0395bde8b.jpeg

WOW!  I guess I would definitely say....do not eat at the steakhouse on the last night of the cruise.  Thanks for posting this, Greg.  And sorry for hijacking earlier!

1 minute ago, Saint Greg said:

I got mine on the first night

We had a reservation for the first night on Magic, but had too many libations and didn't make it.  Won't make that mistake again.  Your Cowboy steak looks awesome.  For Vista we have Steak house first night, Chef's table TBD, Cucina Del Capitano, and Ji Ji booked.  We may have to adjust depending on Chef's table night.  Excited for our first Chef's table, too.  Have a great time back on the Magic.  Bojan and Cornelius are both still there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

I would choose the Himalayan Pink Salt. Good for your health!

While it does contain a bunch of trace minerals, none of these are in sufficient quantities to provide any health benefit.  And while there are good trace minerals there are also bad trace minerals like radium and uranium and thallium, which is a poison.  Again, nothing significant to warrant concern.

Additionally, while there is a low-to moderate association (not cause) with salt intake and high blood pressure or cardio events, there is no study that shows any difference in that association between regular table salt and any "specialty" salt.  Taste, is on the other hand, a good reason to try these different types of salt. 

But healthier?  Only the scammers selling their product promote that claim.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1