Let's talk salt

Saint Greg

The true foodie brings their own

The Inca’s Tears, the Pink Salt of Maras. The pink salt of Maras in Peru is considered a rose colored gold. It has good properties for the benefit of our bodies and a wonderful flavor. It has become a favored ingredient of Peruvian chefs and of Peru´s gastronomic boom. Last week I had the opportunity to visit Maras and appreciate its beauty.

salt ponds peru.jpg

salt bags peru.jpg

Himalayan pink provides a true honest salt flavor.

Icelandic black gives a slightly charcoal flavor.

Depends upon what you like.

As to health...don't see any salt used beyond moderation being good for you. 

Edited by sandy toes
opps

On 10/14/2019 at 7:21 PM, Saint Greg said:

I got mine on the first night

They are much nicer to you on the first night.we ate 2 times in the steakhouse on the liberty.it was like day and night.we don't bother anymore I can spend that $90 elsewhere.

• 2 months later...

I've dined in the steakhouse often, probably over 40 times, and my waiters made me aware of the varied salt choices when Carnival "upgraded" to the latest menu format.  So if I get a lazy or lightly trained waiter, I can tell them my choice without getting the presentation.

I hope everyone is aware that you can also request different steak sauces for your meat entree.  I usually get Himalayan salt with a peppercorn sauce.  Mushroom and bearnaise are the other sauces.

Edited by evandbob

2 minutes ago, evandbob said:

I've dined in the steakhouse often, probably over 40 times, and my waiters made me aware of the varied salt choices when Carnival "upgraded" to the latest menu format.  So if I get a lazy or lightly trained waiter, I can tell them my choice without getting the presentation.

I hope everyone is aware that you can also request different steak sauces for your meat entree.  I usually get Himalayan salt with a peppercorn sauce.

Thanks a lot evandbob! 😠 I just had a Pavlov's Dog reaction. :classic_laugh:

6 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

My salt update is they did offer me an option for my filet on Panorama. I went with the sriracha  one this time and thought it was pretty good.

Lucky you! I wasn't offered the various salts either time I ate at the steakhouse on Breeze last week. No regular salt on the tables (or in any other restaurant on board) either - although they would bring normal salt on request. 

17 minutes ago, DryCreek said:

Hands down, my favorite salt is Caribbean Sea Salt found on your handrail every morning as you step out on your cove balcony with a steaming hot cup of coffee.....

With a side of blue ocean mist and and freshly made breakfast!

• 1 year later...

There were no salt options presented on Vista or Panorama this time. On Mardi Gras there were options but I don’t think they brought out a box or had all of the options from before. When the waiter was reading them off he said one was the best so I stopped him and said give me the best then. I don’t remember which it was.

5 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

There were no salt options presented on Vista or Panorama this time. On Mardi Gras there were options but I don’t think they brought out a box or had all of the options from before. When the waiter was reading them off he said one was the best so I stopped him and said give me the best then. I don’t remember which it was.

They brought the presentation box out on my MG cruise a couple weeks ago.

• Like 1