How many medical staff on board?

fstuff1

I am one of those passengers who actually had to be treated in the Infinity medical center in 2017 after a bad fall in Puntarenas, Costa Rica.  I had an interesting conversation with the head doctor onboard at the time.  This is somewhat of a simplification, but the doctors are essentially running a family practice for the crew and handling emergencies with the passengers.

My understanding is that all of the ships have two physicians with the number of nurses dependent on the size of the ship.  While the medical center hours are posted there apparently either the senior doctor or the other doctor is on board at all times in order to staff the medical center on an on-call basis.  There is also a nurse onboard at all times too for on-call availability.  This question was asked on a bridge tour on the Solstice last August and the answer was that there were two doctors and three nurses in the Solstice medical center.

For those who are curious I was pleased with my medical treatment.   I required four stitches, and antibiotics.  The stitches were removed while I was still onboard.  The cost of treatment was billed to our onboard account, but I was given paperwork to submit to my US insurance coverage.  All but $4.00 was covered so I received reimbursement for my treatment.

11 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

I will be on Summit & silhouette.

Just out of curiosity, how many doctors and nurses on those 2 ships?

Some cruises also offer dialysis at sea so further medical staff on board.

32 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

I am one of those passengers who actually had to be treated in the Infinity medical center in 2017 after a bad fall in Puntarenas, Costa Rica.  I had an interesting conversation with the head doctor onboard at the time.  This is somewhat of a simplification, but the doctors are essentially running a family practice for the crew and handling emergencies with the passengers.

My understanding is that all of the ships have two physicians with the number of nurses dependent on the size of the ship.  While the medical center hours are posted there apparently either the senior doctor or the other doctor is on board at all times in order to staff the medical center on an on-call basis.  There is also a nurse onboard at all times too for on-call availability.  This question was asked on a bridge tour on the Solstice last August and the answer was that there were two doctors and three nurses in the Solstice medical center.

For those who are curious I was pleased with my medical treatment.   I required four stitches, and antibiotics.  The stitches were removed while I was still onboard.  The cost of treatment was billed to our onboard account, but I was given paperwork to submit to my US insurance coverage.  All but $4.00 was covered so I received reimbursement for my treatment.

I had a similar experience on the Edge. They had a very nice Medical Center, with a waiting area for passengers, an area where crew waited to be seen (saw it as I walked by) and treatment rooms. There were at least 2 doctors onboard (not sure if they also have NPs and PAs) - I saw only one MD, but they talked about the other one. Since a doctor needs to be on call 24/7 for emergencies, it makes sense that they would have at least two to share call.

image.png.3237b776bd6735866f58c9a8b16f8df7.png

I had 8 sutures in my forehead and scalp and also had them removed onboard. The RN, Miguel, and the physician, Dr. Lever, were extremely professional and skillfully guided us through a scary experience. Dr. Lever gave me options (glue vs. sutures) and outlined approximate costs and what my insurance might cover. She checked me the next day and I returned several days later to have the sutures removed. She did an amazing job and, with Mederma (hcat's recommendation), the scar is hardly noticeable. My insurance sent me a check for the complete amount after I submitted paperwork after the cruise (she completed it very carefully so that all the necessary info was included for insurance companies).

The open hours on the Edge Medical were usually 8-11AM and 4-7 PM, but obviously are available to open for all emergencies. They also respond to Star Codes - I watched the same two people in action rush to a roll call buddy's side after a nasty fall onboard (she had facial injuries and a broken arm) - again, they were very kind and professional.  It was good to see Medical in action and know they are there when we need them.

We cruised on the Edge a few weeks later and brought some chocolates for the Medical staff to thank them for their help. Dr. Lever and Miguel were there and very happy to see how well I was healing. 🙂

image.thumb.png.93377545890f26aaad36d48b7eb1e6fc.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

Was your friend on a Celebrity cruises?  We have never known Celebrity to staff dentists on their ships

I don't remember, it's been about five years ago.  Her filling came out and they replaced it for her.  They were talking about it when they got back.

1 hour ago, Terre said:

I don't remember, it's been about five years ago.  Her filling came out and they replaced it for her.  They were talking about it when they got back.

Maybe it was one of the painters from the ship.

They wear white and are good at plugging holes.