4cats’s wonderful cruise, with a “carppy” ending

4cats4me

12 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

After your story about the 'carp' I'm glad I have never seen a service dog on any of our several dozen Princess cruises.🙂

Disclaimer - I am sure some people with service dogs are more responsible than the one appeared to be on your cruise.

you know it was a "service" dog, not a service dog, right?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

Cabin E108, one of the coveted deluxe extra large obstructed View balconies.  

by the way, was there ever any noise from the theater or theater rehearsals in that cabin?

These are the only cabins left on my cruise on Regal in November, so I am not sure they are coveted...

13 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We were also booked on that same sailing but transferred our deposit over to the Grand when one of our travel mates thought it would be easier not to fly down to LA.  We had a great cruise on the Grand and visited many of the same ports, just leaving a day earlier.  I agree the heat and humidity was just oppressive, especially in Mazatlan.  I made it to the little port area for about 10 minutes before having to head back to the ship. 

In Puerto Vallarta, we headed to one of the nearby hotels for a most wonderful massage.  We stayed onboard in Cabo as we don't much care for tendering into ports.  

And, we've always gone on a some great excursions in Manzanillo, but didn't plan one this time after having been there several times in the past.  Wow ... I think that was a mistake.  I was not so impressed after this latest visit and especially with the level of safety warnings rising so dramatically in the last couple of years.  

I'm pretty grossed out that someone's service animal was allowed to poop in the hallways.  That's pretty disgusting!! 

Glad the rest of your cruise sounded pretty darned good ... you are spot on about Matt O!  Funniest and most engaging CD on the high seas.  

4 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

by the way, was there ever any noise from the theater or theater rehearsals in that cabin?

These are the only cabins left on my cruise on Regal in November, so I am not sure they are coveted...

No noise ever, except for the anchor noise in 108 (not in 107) 

with these cabins it’s been our experience that they are either the first to go or the last.  

• Like 1

Forgot to mention the great party band, One Way.  The vocalist was really good

The Diamond Trio mariachi band was really good, too. 

I do wish Princess would change their playlist or update it to more contemporary music.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

our cruise ended on a carppy note this morning LOL after my husband rolled his suitcase through a piece of small doggie poop on deck 7 on the way to the Vista

Lounge.   Another fresh nugget a few feet after that that someone else had stepped in.  There was a little to medium “service” dog onboard that was snapping and growling 

And barking at most everyone everytime I saw him.  

We did alert personnel, as most everyone had to walk that path this morning, but alas, when we were disembarking the one piece poopie was still there.

This is disgusting.

I am not a pet person, at all, but my understanding is that a service dog will not bark or snap at people, nor will it relieve itself in an inappropriate place.

I suspect that the "little to medium" dog that you encountered was not a service dog but, rather, an "emotional comfort animal."

Thank you for the otherwise entertaining report.  Interestingly, another Cruise Critic contributor has also posted a mostly positive report on this same cruise.

We took the 10-day Sea of Cortez cruise a couple years ago and felt that the Loreto stop was the highlight.  We are looking forward to doing it, again, next year.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

After your story about the 'carp' I'm glad I have never seen a service dog on any of our several dozen Princess cruises.🙂

Disclaimer - I am sure some people with service dogs are more responsible than the one appeared to be on your cruise.

No true service dog barks, snaps, or craps on the deck. Period. This is just one of the numerous bogus "service dogs". People get their dog certified by bogus online services or things like that when the dog isn't qualified to actually be a service dog. Both the dog and the person who brought it onboard should have been kicked off of the ship. Real service dogs perform valuable services. Fake service dogs are an insult.

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

you know it was a "service" dog, not a service dog, right?

Yes. I had the distinct impression from the start that the dog referred to was not a trained service dog. It's owner might have felt they wanted the dog with them for emotional reasons, but I don't feel this gives them the right to impose their badly-trained dog on other in an enclosed area like a ship.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

No true service dog barks, snaps, or craps on the deck. Period. This is just one of the numerous bogus "service dogs". People get their dog certified by bogus online services or things like that when the dog isn't qualified to actually be a service dog. Both the dog and the person who brought it onboard should have been kicked off of the ship. Real service dogs perform valuable services. Fake service dogs are an insult.

I agree. Fake service dogs are an insult to the people who genuinely need a service animal and have one properly trained.

We took my MIL on 13 overseas trips after she was widowed, most of them cruises. She was besotted with her dog, so I am glad she never got the idea of taking the dog as her 'service animal'. It barked often and nipped people, although she claimed the only people it bit were 'nasty people'. 🤣 But no, we would have refused to go and she would not have travelled with just the dog.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Yes. I had the distinct impression from the start that the dog referred to was not a trained service dog. It's owner might have felt they wanted the dog with them for emotional reasons, but I don't feel this gives them the right to impose their badly-trained dog on other in an enclosed area like a ship.

I agree 100%. 

I LOVE my dogs (and I like dogs in general more than people), but it would never occur to me to pass my dogs for emotional support or service dogs to fulfill my want for having a dog with me at all times. But some people just don't give a carp.

We have observed (and even interacted with permission) with some of the true service dogs on cruises, and they were all exceptionally well trained and behaved. 

• Like 1

I would go ballistic if I stepped in (or suitcase rolled in) dog poop on a cruise ship deck. Apparently Princess is still allowing clearly not real "service" dogs on their cruises. That is appalling. And it ruins it for the actual service dogs, who would never growl at people or poop wherever it wants. 

On 10/14/2019 at 9:09 PM, ceilidh1 said:

Love following your reviews! Glad you had a great time overrall! Agree that Matt O is the BEST! Three times on Royal in the past 6 months for us (and I don't even like Royal) just to sail with him!!! LOL!!

Wow, three times!   May I ask, what don’t you like about the Royal? I totally agree about Matt O!  

48 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Wow, three times!   May I ask, what don’t you like about the Royal? I totally agree about Matt O!  

I miss skywalkers and a wrap around promenade deck most, but also don't like the set up of Princess Live or the Wheelhouse bar. Club 6 is just a waste of space in my opinion! I admit the ship itself is beautiful, but I love the Grand Class and would rather sail those. Doing a happy dance that Matt is coming back West in March/Apr/May on Grand Princess!!

Edited by ceilidh1
typo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I miss skywalkers and a wrap around promenade deck most, but also don't like the set up of Princess Live or the Wheelhouse bar. Club 6 is just a waste of space in my opinion! I admit the ship itself is beautiful, but I love the Grand Class and would rather sail those. Doing a happy dance that Matt is coming back West in March/Apr/May on Grand Princess!!

My friend and I also missed Skywalkers and the wraparound promenade deck. I love walking on the promenade deck while listening to audiobooks. I really did miss that while on the Royal.