Fish sandwich in St George?

Mka3721

Hi!

I'm looking for a good fish sandwich within walking distance of the ferry or on a bus route that's relatively easy to follow.  On raisin bread would be extra as awesome, but I'll settle for any that tastes good.  Thanks so much!

12 hours ago, Mka3721 said:

Hi!

I'm looking for a good fish sandwich within walking distance of the ferry or on a bus route that's relatively easy to follow.  On raisin bread would be extra as awesome, but I'll settle for any that tastes good.  Thanks so much!

This isn't going to be of much help, but the only spot in St. George that I'm aware of that was famous for its fish sandwich was Art Mel's, but they closed a couple of years ago. 

Perhaps someone else can recommend a different spot.

13 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Perhaps someone else can recommend a different spot.

Wahoos had something that resembled it when we were there in August. Wasn't quite the real deal as it wasn't on the raisin bread. Was a much better bar than it was a restaurant. 

Mama Angies we were told afterwards had a great one and is apparently located in St Georges. Didn't make it ourselves but a friend of ours was raving about it. 

53 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Wahoos had something that resembled it when we were there in August. Wasn't quite the real deal as it wasn't on the raisin bread. Was a much better bar than it was a restaurant. 

Mama Angies we were told afterwards had a great one and is apparently located in St Georges. Didn't make it ourselves but a friend of ours was raving about it. 

Problem with Mama Angies is they might not have fish the day you stop there......it is a hole in the wall coffee shop type place. So I was stymied again for fish sandwiches in St. George's. We had tried to do the Art Mels location there when they were open, before it closed,  but the location was not open. Twice. Perhaps the proper fish were not available there those days.  Went to Wahoos in August and the seats were wet as it had rained for about 15 minutes about an hour before we got there. We had gone back to the ship (docked in St. George's)  after Clearwater/Coopers Island and changed out of our swim clothes during the short shower.  Told them we did not want to sit on wet seats but the outdoor seats were all they had. The host made a snarky comment dismising the wet seats as a problem. I did not appreciate that. So we left and went next door to The Wharf which had dry outdoor seats as they have a covered area outside. The Wharf has pretty good seafood but I don't know about fish sandwiches there and did not ask since never heard that The Wharf had good fish sandwiches. Mama Angies is probably the best bet if they have fish. They might be dependent on a fisherman who might not go out every day or might not have a good catch every day. Or maybe they sell out.

Edited by Charles4515

We were just in Bermuda on 10/2 and did a tour with Heidi Cowen of Byways Tours. She got us the most excellent seasoned snapper with tarter sauce on raisin bread! She pointed out the little place she was getting them from but I don't remember the name. She could tell you. She has a facebook page for Byways Tours and is very responsive. We had a wonderful tour with her and the fish sandwich was a definite highlight!

On 10/14/2019 at 9:19 PM, Mka3721 said:

Hi!

GoJo's Coffee Shop in King's Square.  Walking distance from ferry.  I enjoyed it, they gave the option of bread with, or without raisins, i had raisin.  I have no point of reference, since it was the only one I've had.

On 10/15/2019 at 2:19 PM, bjd2 said:

We were just in Bermuda on 10/2 and did a tour with Heidi Cowen of Byways Tours. She got us the most excellent seasoned snapper with tarter sauce on raisin bread! She pointed out the little place she was getting them from but I don't remember the name. She could tell you. She has a facebook page for Byways Tours and is very responsive. We had a wonderful tour with her and the fish sandwich was a definite highlight!

I think my wife and I were on the same tour with you. I second the fish sandwich that Heidi got for us. DELICIOUS.