Voyager of the Seas gets hull painted blue! New livery for all RCI ships?

Fairsky84

The problem with painting the older ships’ hulls blue is that their upper decks, balconies, and dining room windows are tinted green. It may clash with the blue hull and create a cartoonish look. The Oasis and Quantum-class ships have gray/blue-tinted glass that compliments the light blue hull. 

Here’s an example of the green on Voyager and the gray/blue on Symphony. 

747AEE0A-B334-4A39-933C-35530A8B6932.jpeg

0ECEF8B9-E6E8-4E11-AC07-BC1415FBF5ED.jpeg

16 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

so now all the ships will look like the Oasis class ships, light blue bottom. You won't be able to tell from a distance which class of ship it is unless you look at her aft. 

I see cruise ships leaving PC 4-5 days a week.

You can tell Oasis from Mariner, trust me.

IMG_5083.thumb.JPG.dc025834dd501d5046a1ff100dffdba1.JPG

20190905_155131.thumb.jpg.14008908a691fd0c96ddf134aa908d19.jpg

Plus the blue is quite pleasing from the distance. 

IMG_5088.thumb.JPG.c334bc9698809fda23ec65a990b44d1b.JPG

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Fairsky84 said:

The problem with painting the older ships’ hulls blue is that their upper decks, balconies, and dining room windows are tinted green. It may clash with the blue hull and create a cartoonish look. The Oasis and Quantum-class ships have gray/blue-tinted glass that compliments the light blue hull. 

Here’s an example of the green on Voyager and the gray/blue on Symphony. 

747AEE0A-B334-4A39-933C-35530A8B6932.jpeg

It doesn't seem to stand out in your original picture. It could be more of an issue with the Gen 2 Voyager ships.

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The anti-fouling paint, below the waterline, is a dark blue, and yes it has teflon in the paint and produces a very hard finish that marine growth has a difficult time adhering to.

Is the use of TBT a thing of the past? It was supposedly great as a bottom coating.

1 hour ago, retafcruiser said:

Is the use of TBT a thing of the past? It was supposedly great as a bottom coating.

Yes, TBT was banned in 2008, because it caused the collapse of the French shellfish industry.  Most bottom paints use copper as the anti-fouling agent, though some areas are looking at what damage copper from these paints are doing to the ecosystem.

4 hours ago, Ethanol95 said:

Why take the perfect white pearl look away. It made it classy. Now its just like someone made a mistake and decided to completely cover it up with blue (a terrible shade of blue i might add). Couldn't they at least have chosen a more appealing turquoise-ish blue..

They did it so people could go on Internet forums and complain about it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I think it works better on Oasis because with the balcony structure and open stern the demarcation between the blue and white is not as stark. But the solid wall balconies on the side and stern of Explorer make the color difference very noticable.

I personally feel that the baby blue looks much smarter than the white. And, it contrasts nicely with the upper white superstructure above the hull.

Also take note of the HAL ships with their black hulls. Far less rubber smudges seen on a black hull from the pier fenders, I feel that is pretty smart and saves the cruise line in man hours.

7 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Someone got the order wrong so there is alot of blue paint to use up 🤣

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/australian-cruiser-turns-the-hull-of-voyager-of-the-seas-blue/

It took 2 1/2 weeks from the time the guy suggested the blue paint to the time the ship was actually painted?

That's pretty quick turn around time.  Most companies need to discuss something like that first for a few months before forming a committee to analyze the pros and cons, then need to do a marketing survey, select the specfic shade of blue from the thousands of blues out there, order the paint, etc, etc, etc.

Heck, I probably spend 2 1/2 weeks going back and forth to Home Depot before deciding which shade of white to paint the ceiling in my dining room. 😀

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, johnjen said:

Also take note of the HAL ships with their black hulls. Far less rubber smudges seen on a black hull from the pier fenders, I feel that is pretty smart and saves the cruise line in man hours.

Yes, dark hulls do hide smudges and rust better but there’s a reason warm-weather cruise ships have traditionally had white hulls. The white reflects the sunlight which keeps the ship’s interior cooler which requires less energy for air conditioning. It saves fuel and money. It’s also why cold-weather liners which crossed the North Atlantic had black or dark hulls. They absorbed the light to help heat the ship’s interior. 

When Cunard would redeploy their liners to cruise in the Caribbean, for example, they would often repaint the ships’ hulls white for this reason. See here for more about this:

https://www.technology.org/2018/07/06/why-most-cruise-ships-and-luxury-yachts-are-white-while-container-ships-are-all-kinds-of-colours/

Edited by Fairsky84

7 hours ago, Hogbay said:

The article showed a bunch of photos of the work being done. I'll be on Freedom's first cruise after her amplification. I would love to see photos of the refurb as it's happening. Does anyone know if there is a web site that shows the progress being made during dry dock?

4 minutes ago, Fairsky84 said:

Yes, dark hulls do hide smudges and rust better but there’s a reason warm-weather cruise ships have traditionally had white hulls. The white reflects the sunlight which keeps the ship’s interior cooler which requires less energy for air conditioning. It saves fuel and money. It’s also why cold-weather liners which crossed the North Atlantic had black or dark hulls. They absorbed the light to help heat the ship’s interior. 

When Cunard would redeploy their liners to cruise in the Caribbean, for example, they would often repaint the ships’ hulls white for this reason. See here for more about this:

https://www.technology.org/2018/07/06/why-most-cruise-ships-and-luxury-yachts-are-white-while-container-ships-are-all-kinds-of-colours/

That was a very interesting article and very factual, thanks. When I was on the USS LaSalle (AGF-3) for a TAD of 9 months during Desert Storm, she was painted white due to the sensitive electronics on board and yes, her AC ran more efficiently than if her hull was painted grey. Eventually though, her hull ended up being grey after a certain yard period well after DS.

2 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

The article showed a bunch of photos of the work being done. I'll be on Freedom's first cruise after her amplification. I would love to see photos of the refurb as it's happening. Does anyone know if there is a web site that shows the progress being made during dry dock?

Those photos were given out by RCI for PR reasons, but in general, both the cruise line and the shipyard are pretty protective of what goes out regarding work in the yard, for liability reasons.

2 hours ago, johnjen said:

I personally feel that the baby blue looks much smarter than the white. And, it contrasts nicely with the upper white superstructure above the hull.

HAL ships are dark blue.